Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: PoG's Move?
17...Qe7 1 3.23%
17...Qc8 2 6.45%
17...Qb6 1 3.23%
17...Ne4 3 9.68%
17...Rc8 11 35.48%
Results 13 41.94%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-04-2007, 09:50 AM

Default Re: Bankrolling 17 year old kid

[ QUOTE ]
Oh, BTW. Your link does not work.

[/ QUOTE ]

remove the ")" at the end

like somebody already said, theres much more value in going through all of the links in this list then buying books (except for TOP which is essentiell imo)

cash games is the way to go especially regarding your aim. theres much more to consider in a deepstacked cash game with tough opponents then an sng can ever offer. sngs are essentially solved and the only thing he has to do beat them (for a very small margin) is to learn some stuff by heart and then robotically apply them in the appropriate situation. like a math noob that never really gets maths as hes never transfering knowledge from fields he knows about into fields he hasnt seen yet. he just learns for each test, beats it poorly and immediately forgets everything cause he never learned to derive from simple to complex.

excuse my english but i hope you understand what im trying to get at.
cash games are just way more complex then sngs and offer way more situations that have all to be assesed individually while sngs are pretty mechanic
Old 10-04-2007, 10:42 AM

http://www.pr0crast.com/2+2.NL.Anthology.v1.htm

Sorry bout that. Use that link. And yea going through there is better than any book I've read

I've heard Professional No Limit Holdem is good also....never read it but actually thinking about getting it.

And HOH are really strictly MTT books with a few STT things thrown in but in my opinion those are not worth much for the way online sng's are now anyway.

I've heard Harrington is coming out with cash game books around like February.
Old 10-04-2007, 10:51 AM

Okay, I'm sold on letting him read all of those links. But how should they be read? Would he have to read entire threads or just the original posts?

How much actual game experience would he require to maximize his level of understanding of those links?

When should he read those links in relation to his reading of TOP and Little Green Book?
Old 10-04-2007, 10:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Okay, I'm sold on letting him read all of those links. But how should they be read? Would he have to read entire threads or just the original posts?

How much actual game experience would he require to maximize his level of understanding of those links?

When should he read those links in relation to his reading of TOP and Little Green Book?

[/ QUOTE ]

I've never read little green book so can't say much.

And sorry but I'm not gonna spend the time actually writing out a training program for you for free.
Old 10-04-2007, 11:05 AM

Thanks for the valuable advice. I've already bookmarked the link.
Old 10-04-2007, 11:52 AM

Default Bankrolling 71 year old kid

This guy who calls himself 'the kid' and is actually 71 wants me to bankroll him $50K, he says he is going to learn poker and be a winning poker player or he is going to die trying. Now, I believe he will die trying so I am kind of reluctant. He tells me he is an expert tic-tac-toe player. I asked him if he was willing to read any of Sklansky or Malmuth's books. He said he could not read. I said that's ok, they cannot write. I think he is lying when he says he cannot read. Should I stake him?
Old 10-04-2007, 12:14 PM

Default Re: Bankrolling 71 year old kid

the way you described his inteligence and ability to remember stuff he only needs to understand the concept of ev (which really isnt tough) and go from there. he'll be a winning nl50 player in no time
Old 10-04-2007, 02:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks for the valuable advice. I've already bookmarked the link.

[/ QUOTE ]
More advice: install deadbolt on your bedroom door, lock up all chainsaws and sharp cutlery
Old 10-04-2007, 06:18 PM

If people are really wondering why PP wants his son to learn SNGs, tourneys, and HUSNGs, it is because he wants his son to be great, and you are great when you are seen on TV. Tourneys, HU tourneys are seen on TV.

Please recognize, PP, that playing poker is not a glamorous profession. The vast majority of the players you see on TV are not playing poker for the glory. I could question if many of them are even playing for the money, but that is another discussion entirely.

With that said, a few of the players are in it for the glory, well actually, they ARE on TV for the glory. Very very few tourney players can play professionally, many of the players you see on TV are not that good, from what I have been led to understand by people who has played cash games with them. Of the good players you see on TV, many consider tourneys a waste of time: it is positive equity for their face to be seen so that more people actually want to play with them in cash games because they are famous. Many of the players you see on TV spend every waking hour sitting at a table, staring at green felt.
Old 10-05-2007, 03:50 AM

This kid is almost 18 - the only things he needs to worry about are college, college girls, and whatever sports he's still interested in. Maybe some Xbox action.

Steering someone that young to poker, especially someone with so much potential, is just a bad idea. If you're talking about pure monetary gain, the same amount of effort you'd need for poker will probably give him a far better return elsewhere, and with far fewer headaches. Poker comes with a lot of frustrations.