Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-01-2007, 01:29 AM

Default Re: Organ Donations

[ QUOTE ]

Yeah, let's kill people to make a silly point. Every single person involved in the process makes money for doing a service. Transporting and operating take time, effort, and money. Donating the organs you're no longer using doesn't really cost you anything.

[/ QUOTE ]

The people doing the transporting and harvesting represent themselves as charitable institutions to increase donorship.

You want to clear the national waiting list of need? Allow families to receive compensation for organs. Almost every family, except those with religious objections and the already well-off, would donate organs of a deceased loved ones if they could get $3,000 per kidney, $7,500 for a liver, $15,000 for a heart, and smaller amounts for other organs and tissue.

There are many families that could completely change their lives for $40,000. Instead, we have the complete and total mess that we muddle through now with a low donor percentage and people dying on the waiting list.
Old 10-01-2007, 01:34 AM

Who's going to pay that money? The Doctors? The Charitable organizations? No, the patients. Once again the poor and middle class would get royally [censored].

So the poor can get more money for dying, but are going to die more often because theres one more health care procedure they can't afford. Are insurance companies going to pay for it? Sure, but they just pass that cost on with a markup. That money getting paid to patients has to come from somewhere.

I don't give a [censored] if somebody says he's Jesus come back to life. If it gets one more person to donate an organ and save a life, I'm all for it. We have people dying on the waiting list because people like you don't want to donate because of a silly argument.
Old 10-01-2007, 01:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I say no because some hospitals will allow an organ donor to die so they can be harvested, but in that same situation try to save that same guy if he isn't an organ donor.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ignorant.
Old 10-01-2007, 01:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I say no because some hospitals will allow an organ donor to die so they can be harvested, but in that same situation try to save that same guy if he isn't an organ donor.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ignorant.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I wasn't going to actually respond to the content, but now I can't help myself.

Let's look at the main assumption in this post: There are money grubbing and unethical doctors/medical personnel around that will sacrifice people's lives to make an extra buck.

1. This is very likely a suspect assumption for the vast majority of medical personnel.

2. If they let you die they get the money for the transplant and for the patient that received the organ until they recover. If they don't let you die they get the money for treating you, the time you spent recovering (which will likely be a long time since you're almost dead) PLUS the money caring for the patient on the waiting list (which is probably as long as the recovery time, not to mention the potential of finding a donor down the road so they can still make that money). The latter is usually more money for the hospital then the former. So even if they are greedy they can make more money off of treating you successfully and billing you tens of thousands for the recovery time you're going to spend in the hospital then they can make off letting you die and doing a transplant.
Old 10-01-2007, 01:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
2. If they let you die they get the money for the transplant and for the patient that received the organ until they recover. If they don't let you die they get the money for treating you, the time you spent recovering (which will likely be a long time since you're almost dead) PLUS the money caring for the patient on the waiting list (which is probably as long as the recovery time, not to mention the potential of finding a donor down the road so they can still make that money). The latter is usually more money for the hospital then the former. So even if they are greedy they can make more money off of treating you successfully and billing you tens of thousands for the recovery time you're going to spend in the hospital then they can make off letting you die and doing a transplant.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not if those rich CEO fat cats are bribing the doctors
Old 10-01-2007, 02:00 AM

Standard organ donor recipient included for reference
Old 10-01-2007, 02:03 AM

To those who choose not to donate organs, go to the long term care ward of a local Children's Hospital or to an assisted living center and talk with some people (or their family members) about what it's like to be waiting for an organ that may never come, and see if you feel the same way.
Old 10-01-2007, 02:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Who's going to pay that money? The Doctors? The Charitable organizations? No, the patients. Once again the poor and middle class would get royally [censored].

[/ QUOTE ]

Health insurance? It's a helluva lot cheaper to buy someone a new set of kidneys for 6k and pay for the surgery than it is to pay for daily dialysis for months on end! No one is getting "screwed".

[ QUOTE ]
Are insurance companies going to pay for it? Sure, but they just pass that cost on with a markup. That money getting paid to patients has to come from somewhere.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nevermind, you're right. Simplistic arguments are the best kind
Old 10-01-2007, 02:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Health insurance? It's a helluva lot cheaper to buy someone a new set of kidneys for 6k and pay for the surgery than it is to pay for daily dialysis for months on end! No one is getting "screwed".

[/ QUOTE ]

Great, except thats irrelevant. In the current system the kidney is 'free', you're saying it should cost 6K. Thats an extra 6K on top of the current amounts (becuase nobody currently getting money is going to decrease their price). Who's paying that extra 6K?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Are insurance companies going to pay for it? Sure, but they just pass that cost on with a markup. That money getting paid to patients has to come from somewhere.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nevermind, you're right. Simplistic arguments are the best kind

[/ QUOTE ]

These links don't really address the point you quoted about increasing insurance costs. You think companies are going to pay this extra money out of the goodness of their hearts?

One url talks about how complicated it is to become an organ donor. I answered a question yes. Real [censored] complicated. It also mentions how family can override a person's wishes, but thats irrelevant to our argument.

Other links talk about how much money companies make and how paying patients would be better. 5 minutes with Google gave me a number of links arguing against such a system. I honestly don't particularly care, but to argue that one should not donate organs in order to make debatable improvements to the system is asinine. There are better ways to achieve change that don't punish innocent people.

Tell me, what other activities have you partaken to increase the publics awareness of your campaign to change organ donor laws?
Old 10-01-2007, 03:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I am no longer a donor, and I hope that others will stop donating as well. The only way to open the system is to close off the supply.

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

If you ignore the obviously more effective ways of trying to change an imperfect system then yes, making innocent people suffer to make a point is the only way.

I admit I'm a bit biased as I am the recipient of a kidney from my sister (living donor) that got me off dialysis after only a year instead of the 6+ year waiting list I was on. If I have any functioning and useful organs left when I die, I'm happy to donate them. I don't care if some people make a profit off my donation, as long as it gets to someone that needs it and helps to improve their quality of life.