Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-28-2007, 04:05 PM

Default Re: Retarded interview question

[ QUOTE ]
Second try:

"What kind of plant would you be and why?"

"I'd be a mushroom, because I'm a fun-gi."

Ya I'll just stick to stories about schizophrenic karate chicks in psych hospitals.

[/ QUOTE ]

Mushrooms aren't plants. Hoping that the interviewer doesn't know that might work though.
Old 09-28-2007, 04:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I have an interview later today for a position as a summer associate at a law firm. Apparently, it is typical for the question "What type of plant would you be, and why?" Or some variation, like what type of animal would you be.

I can probably handle the animal question off the top of my head, but I know [censored] about plants other than trees are big and grass is green. Any suggestions on how to answer this question?

[/ QUOTE ]
I've worked in law firms for 7+ years and been the interviewer or interviewee a few dozen times. No one asked such a stupid question. The types of questions usually depend on who's interviewing you. The partners will ask more serious questions while the associates will "try to get to know" you.

Whatever you do, don't do what this guy did last week:

He interviewed with one of the female associates. This is a hot girl, at least an 8 on the OOT scale.

So his next interview he gets another group of single female associates. He asks them if they have a policy against inter-firm dating. Huge negative. Completely ruined his chance of getting a job.
Old 09-28-2007, 04:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]

He interviewed with one of the female associates. This is a hot girl, at least an 8 on the OOT scale.

So his next interview he gets another group of single female associates. He asks them if they have a policy against inter-firm dating. Huge negative. Completely ruined his chance of getting a job.

[/ QUOTE ]

Especially since he meant intra-firm dating.
Old 09-28-2007, 04:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Especially since he meant intra-firm dating.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't even get saying this to female associates. Maybe 1st yr male associates you'd let it slip as a joke or something.
Old 09-28-2007, 05:08 PM

I'd be a venus fly trap because i like to eat meat.
Old 09-28-2007, 05:20 PM

Nobody ever asked me this question in my 25+ interviews for summer associate or associate positions. If they expect a legitimate answer of any merit, they are retarted.
Old 09-28-2007, 06:11 PM

The correct answer is weeping willow. Because it's flexible, yet strong!
Old 09-28-2007, 06:24 PM

For the job that I have right now (corporate finance manager), I went through 4 interviews. First interview was the controller, second interview was another manager, third interview was with the CFO, and the final interview was with the CEO.

The CEO is a smart guy, and imo is really good at feeling out people. He asked me the question "if you could be any animal what would it be and why?"

I froze.

I mean, what the [censored] is the point of that? Honestly. So as I sit there, he ways, "dont over think it" with this smirk on his face. He is 6'4" and probably 250 lbs and is in shape. He is intimidating. So I finally come back with "I would be an eagle, because I stand for what the represent in our culture, I enjoy flying, and I would want to be at the top of a food chain, because I dont see my self as a weak person.

So at the end of the interview, he explained to me why he asks the questions that he asked me. His reason for asking the animal question was for a few reasons. One is he wants to see how people react with a situation that they are not expecting. Two is that he wants to see what a person is like without a scripted answer to a question. And third, which he said is his biggest reason, is for pure entertainment.

Some guy, who he said already was not going to get the job, said that he wanted to be an emu, and gave some dumbass reason. He said that is was such a retarded answer and that it was so funny that he has to ask the question every time now just to see what will happen.
Old 09-28-2007, 07:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
a power plant

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 09-28-2007, 07:41 PM

summer's over.