Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-24-2007, 12:14 PM

Default Re: I found $100 left in ATM

Omg put add in newspaper saying, "$100 found, call this number if you left it whereever and if you can describe it you get it back". This is standard right?
Old 09-24-2007, 12:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Omg put add in newspaper saying, "$100 found, call this number if you left it whereever and if you can describe it you get it back". This is standard right?

[/ QUOTE ]
Why on earth would you pay for a newspaper ad instead of simply calling the bank?
Old 09-24-2007, 01:02 PM

For those who believe that returning the money to its rightful owner is simple and easy, please describe the process by which it's going to happen.
Old 09-24-2007, 01:06 PM

If this was at a bank, I'd walk into the bank, give them the money and let them know when it happened. I imagine cameras + time = maybe a solution.

Some random ATM, there's just no logistically viable way to get the money to the right person, so somebody is paying a $100 stupid tax to the bank of Dids.
Old 09-24-2007, 01:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If this was at a bank, I'd walk into the bank, give them the money and let them know when it happened. I imagine cameras + time = maybe a solution.

Some random ATM, there's just no logistically viable way to get the money to the right person, so somebody is paying a $100 stupid tax to the bank of Dids.

[/ QUOTE ]
No, I'm sure this has happened before and banks have dealt with it before. All they need do is look at an ATM's transaction log and see if that matches up with someone who called in referencing lost funds.

I hate to say this, but many of us in our lives have driven while intoxicated and don't remember things that transpired. That could be the case here, thus it could also be the case that the person never even remembered being at that ATM. They may or may not have a WTF moment the next time they check their balance, but either way the money belongs to that person should they lay claim to it.
Old 09-24-2007, 01:12 PM

Yeah, seriously.

Branch ATM that is open: Walk inside, explain, hand over.

Closed Branch ATM: Tuck in glove compartment with your receipt. Next time you're there, go inside.

Some random ATM in a mall or gas station: Stand around for 5 minutes, then take it.

You would have to call up the 1-800 # on the side of the ATM. Explain what is going on. They won't give you the person's info. Then you'd have to somehow convince them, or send them the money, and then it would never get there. I'm guessing 3rd party ATMs don't have the most accommodating customer service.
Old 09-24-2007, 01:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Why on earth would you pay for a newspaper ad instead of simply calling the bank?

[/ QUOTE ]
Leveled? Or am I getting multileveled?
Old 09-24-2007, 01:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Some random ATM in a mall or gas station: Stand around for 5 minutes, then take it.

You would have to call up the 1-800 # on the side of the ATM. Explain what is going on. They won't give you the person's info. Then you'd have to somehow convince them, or send them the money, and then it would never get there. I'm guessing 3rd party ATMs don't have the most accommodating customer service.

[/ QUOTE ]
Hmmmm, I went back to OP and noticed it was a 3rd party ATM, somehow missed that the first time.

Not sure how I would handle then. It would seem to be a bit tougher to track down the owner so maybe it actually wouldn't be worth the hassle. I'd like to think I'd at least make a token effort though.
Old 09-24-2007, 02:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
A couple of months ago I pulled up to an ATM to find someone's card still in there. Doing anything other than going into the branch to turn it in never occurred to me (I think this was a Visa debit and it was in the middle of the day so they were open). I'm not a saint, this is common sense. Is there a difference between taking that $100 and taking that card and using it to my advantage? I don't think so, in either case I'm spending someone else's money.

[/ QUOTE ]

These things are completely different. Keeping the $100 is a one time hit to the person that carelessly left it behind. Keeping the card causes them to have to go through all the hassles of canceling the card and getting a new one, a process that could easily take a week and be a huge pain in the ass.

I think its akin to losing a wallet. Most people just want the non-cash contents back, getting the cash back is gravy.
Old 09-24-2007, 03:08 PM

Have the $100 changed into 100 single $1 bills.
Beginning at the ATM leave a $1 bill every 50 yards or so.
That way if the owner wants to find his money, he can follow the trail.

*Also, a great way to meet strippers.