Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-22-2007, 08:34 PM

Default Re: Fustrated, Tired, Hungry and Numb - 5hrs of poker

Don't play as if you're trying to meet some kind of hourly or daily quota of winnings. Your next big win could come any time, whether it's your first pocket dealt in the morning or in the middle of a 4 hours of breaking even. Just make sure you're in the right frame of mind before and afterwards as well.
Old 09-22-2007, 08:39 PM

Guess my years of grinding in MMORPG's pays off in the poker world because a 5 hour session of poker is like a regular afternoon playing World of Warcraft. That game is super crack. Thankfully I sold my account a few weeks ago for quite a bit. You can guess where that money has now gone. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-22-2007, 08:47 PM

LoL, taking a break from WoW to play Poker... Just put in a grinding 3 hour session of breaking even, just to loose my buy-in. KKs get cracked by someone triping up, AK nailed by two pair and AA twice. Grr...

So, enough of the grind for today, back to WoW... I'll work on earning back that buy-in later when i'm in a better frame of mind!
Old 09-22-2007, 09:43 PM

Well my session last night didn't turn out to well but I understand it is about the long term not daily quotas and you guys have made good points about rakeback and other bonuses to keep the motivation going.
Old 09-24-2007, 08:13 AM

Ok so I probably should post a new thread but I figure most people don't want to hear a run down of my progress thus far. Since I posted this on Thursday, I have made progress but not finacially.

I believe I am getting better at dealing with my fustration at the table. I did have a few long sessions and I did neglect to get proper sleep, but I did this before poker lol so that is something that may never change. I made myself eat and take breaks. My longest session was on Sunday morning from 5:30am till about 12 noon. Probably not the best time to be playing but on the weekend your schedule gets kind of crazy.

I did have some hands that went really bad and I kept my head about me and just plugged away at it. My Poker Tracker chart looks insane. It looks like a runners heartbeat. I'll post it later when I get home. This is the school computer.

I had a few rollercoaster moments. I did my first ever misreading of a hand! Insanely misread the hand! I thought I have quad Qs lol and I just had a fullhouse, and lost $30 bucks on that hand from a misread. My eyes must have been cross-eyed. I also lost a huge pot because I didn't push in when I had the pot odds, missing out on $50+ bucks, and then I called a hand one time when I KNEW the player had quads on me with the top fullhouse and lost 30ish bucks. So at one point this weekend I was down 100+ but I didn't tilt I stayed steady and tried to play the best I could and I regained all I had lost. I have maintained my bankroll, and for that I am proud.

With that said, I wanted to ask this question which probably, as I said before, should go under a new thread, but I am afraid of getting flammed for asking it ,lol so I'll stick with this freindly bunch.

QUESTION: TALKING AT THE TABLE - good or bad or dependant on the person? When I say talking at the table I don't mean about the hand,I mean just chit chatting. I tend to chit chat ALOT and I noticed something weird. I DO better +EV when I am chatting and do worse when the table is boring. I think it is because I get bored easily and therefore I start opening up my starting hands and play hands I should never have gotten involved in the pot with. What do you all think / what's your experience with this?
Old 09-24-2007, 10:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
QUESTION: TALKING AT THE TABLE - good or bad or dependant on the person? When I say talking at the table I don't mean about the hand,I mean just chit chatting. I tend to chit chat ALOT and I noticed something weird. I DO better +EV when I am chatting and do worse when the table is boring. I think it is because I get bored easily and therefore I start opening up my starting hands and play hands I should never have gotten involved in the pot with. What do you all think / what's your experience with this?

[/ QUOTE ]

You don't have time to chat if you're multi-tabling.

And if you're not multi-tabling (3 or 4, at least), then you probably aren't quite maximizing your win rate on line. Sure, at one table you might make a slightly higher PTBB/100 rate, but not enough to make more from the sheer number of extra hands accumulated at a slightly lower rate by multi-tabling.

Live, chit chatting a little is probably slightly +EV. People like losing to nice people more than they like losing to jerks.
Old 09-24-2007, 04:23 PM

Well I understand your point. Often on FTP there are only maybe 2 ring tables for 10/25 going on and a lot of times there is only 1 running. I don't like to play at the 25/50 cent but I have been lately now just so I can play two ring games at once, so multi-tabling isn't the same for me as it is for a holdem player. I can see exactly how a person playing 4-6 tables could never chat, but in the case of Omaha Hi players we often don't have a lot of tables running (If your a ring player like me).

Okay here is my crazy chart... it only shows profit from 9/11/07 till 9/23/07 -- as you can see There have been some ups and downs. Look at this weekend.. is that crazy or what?

Old 09-24-2007, 09:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Guess I'm not a man yet! It's hard work to be a man.

[/ QUOTE ]

Playing that much I am praying you have rakebreak...
Old 09-25-2007, 06:13 PM

Yes I do .. haven't received it yet so I don't know how much I will make off of it.
Old 09-27-2007, 12:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You don't have time to chat if you're multi-tabling.

And if you're not multi-tabling (3 or 4, at least), then you probably aren't quite maximizing your win rate on line. Sure, at one table you might make a slightly higher PTBB/100 rate, but not enough to make more from the sheer number of extra hands accumulated at a slightly lower rate by multi-tabling.

Live, chit chatting a little is probably slightly +EV. People like losing to nice people more than they like losing to jerks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Related to the above, guys love to chat with cute girls, and you have a picture up, so yes, your chatting will earn some goodwill, and maybe keep a lovesick fish in the game longer than he intended. Definitely +EV.