Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-18-2007, 03:32 AM

Default Re: High Stakes Poker thread (9/17)

These players don't even know the odds of an open ended straight draw. Everyone was sitting around scratching their heads counting 1, 2, 3, 4 aces 4 sixes thats uh uh uh. Though its a great show I just can't believe how bad all these players are. I wonder if these players know that they aren't tricky and that they should just shut their mouths. Gold spews tells.
Old 09-18-2007, 03:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd say the difference between Farha and the guy at your table is that Farha is a really good reader.

Everyone remembers him getting lucky in HSP 1, what they seem to be forgetting are all the amazing bluffs he made when his opponents bet into him and weren't strong. He won a bunch of $15k pots that way.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think what happened in season 1 was the he used his "running hot" image well. He was winning hands when he showed and was able to pull off some bluffs b/c of it.

I still can't figure out how Lindgren folded TPTK (AJ) on a fairly dry board in season 3. Turns out farha had a strong draw flush plus overcard but Lindgren needs to stick it in there against a steamer. Pretty bad fold. Scared money it seemed. If he has TPTK beat, so be it. Some guys you gotta be willing to go all the way with that hand, others you can muck TPTK without thinking too hard.
Old 09-18-2007, 04:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
These players don't even know the odds of an open ended straight draw.

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course they know, although it's different against a set, due to the board pairing on either street, making the calculation pretty damned difficult to do in your head and I'm a mathematician. Yes, you're around a 3-to-1 favorite with a set against an OESD, but there's so many things these guys have to remember that this is pretty useless in the grand scheme of things to know the exact odds here.

[ QUOTE ]
Gold spews tells.

[/ QUOTE ]

Anyone who thinks this is an absolute and utter moron, period. Even Gold admits to making random actions and speeches which not even he knows about. Bloody hell, I'm so sick of this this ignorant Gold hate I feel like getting hit by a bus sometimes.
Old 09-18-2007, 05:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
These players don't even know the odds of an open ended straight draw.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I'd be surprised if they didn't, but Hellmuth's draw to a full house (7 outs for that on the turn, 10 on the river) complicates the calculation, as you can't simply just count the OESD-outs and use "the rule of 4".

Anyone have a simple rule of thumb for calculating the percentages in that case? Or is it something one just memorizes?

(I'm talking about OESD vs assumed set, vs assumed trips, vs assumed two pair, and ditto for flush-draw vs set / trips / two pair.)
Old 09-18-2007, 05:56 AM

Very bad poker this week. I cannot recall one hand that was played even remotely alright by everyone involved.

Any winning SSNL player would be massively EV+ in that game.

Sad to see Baxter donk off money to Hellmuth; sad to see Safai who's the biggest ATM at the table hand his money to Gold, etc.

[ QUOTE ]
and btw, boo for high stakes not inviting townsend back. Who wants to see that nit Harman play. Get townsend back in there. Ivey too .. and bring back Brad Busto Booth. I want to see him raise bluff allin $300K with someone else's money

[/ QUOTE ]qft
Old 09-18-2007, 06:55 AM

Seriously, did Harman play a hand all episode? She's [censored] ridiculous.

Hellmuth sucks with his insurance talk taking up 3 minutes of time.

I really hate this episode even though I liked Negreanu's plays as said before (switching cards was pretty funny).

Can't wait til Jman gets on here, which I assume is in 2 episodes?
Old 09-18-2007, 07:02 AM

Nah Harman didn't play one
Old 09-18-2007, 07:22 AM

I love how everybody is waiting for Jman, but he said before that he nitted it up so bad that even Hellmuth commented on it....
Old 09-18-2007, 07:26 AM

Whats up with the Jamie Gold hate?
Old 09-18-2007, 08:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Whats up with the Jamie Gold hate?

[/ QUOTE ]
I find him arrogant, BAD, and thinks himself very clever when he's just plain annoying. Unfortunately he got great cards last night and won some money. hate to see it.

[ QUOTE ]
it is amazing how much the rest of the table openly disrespects jamie.

do you think he realizes this, or is he just so much in his own world that he doesn't pick up on all the snickering everytime he does something so stupid?

[/ QUOTE ]No-I think he things they're laughing with him not AT him.