Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-18-2007, 12:10 AM

Default Re: who is the worst nfl head coach?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I know Bill Simmons writes a lot of nonsense about gambling, but seeing as we're piling on Norv Turner here, it's worth digging up this tidbit:

[ QUOTE ]

Gambling is a part of sports; we may as well accept it. Maybe there are ways teams can actually use it to their advantage. For instance, Hopper once played blackjack in Vegas with Norv Turner, who spinelessly kept staying on 16 (ed: against a dealer 10) until my belligerent friend drove him from the table with a biting remark. After hearing that story, I thought Turner's coaching career made infinitely more sense. What football player would be inspired by a coach who stays on 16?

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Simmons is an idiot. Sometimes you are supposed to stay on 16. Anyone who thinks otherwise should NOT offer advice on blackjack theory.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, if he's being dealt 16 vs. 10 repeatedly, the count is probably negative...

[/ QUOTE ]

Who said he was getting 16 v 10 more than normal?

Just admit you/Simmons don't understand the proper time to hit v stay and move on. Simmons was wrong, end of story.

[/ QUOTE ]

Norv can't figure out to go for it on 4th and 1 with the best RB in the game and down 10 against an offense he can't stop. Somehow I have trouble believing he's employing some complex correct BJ strat.
Old 09-18-2007, 12:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I know Bill Simmons writes a lot of nonsense about gambling, but seeing as we're piling on Norv Turner here, it's worth digging up this tidbit:

[ QUOTE ]

Gambling is a part of sports; we may as well accept it. Maybe there are ways teams can actually use it to their advantage. For instance, Hopper once played blackjack in Vegas with Norv Turner, who spinelessly kept staying on 16 (ed: against a dealer 10) until my belligerent friend drove him from the table with a biting remark. After hearing that story, I thought Turner's coaching career made infinitely more sense. What football player would be inspired by a coach who stays on 16?

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Simmons is an idiot. Sometimes you are supposed to stay on 16. Anyone who thinks otherwise should NOT offer advice on blackjack theory.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, if he's being dealt 16 vs. 10 repeatedly, the count is probably negative...

[/ QUOTE ]

Who said he was getting 16 v 10 more than normal?

Just admit you/Simmons don't understand the proper time to hit v stay and move on. Simmons was wrong, end of story.

[/ QUOTE ]

Simmons states elsewhere that it was 16 v. 10 thrice, and Norv stood each time.

My blackjack reference claims that when using the trusty Hi-Lo count, hitting 16 v. 10 is correct when the true count is +1, which doesn't happen all that often. Anyway, my understanding is that most of the profit in blackjack comes from making bigger bets during those rare times when the count is strongly positive (deep in the shoe or pref. a single deck), not from deviating from basic strategy. I think Simmons' assessment of Norv's thought process here is accurate.
Old 09-18-2007, 12:31 AM

Norv Turner or Marvin Lewis, pick 'em.

EDIT: I'll throw Petrino in there based on what I've seen so far
Old 09-18-2007, 01:00 AM

Which coaches consistently make near optimal decisions is a better question...
Old 09-18-2007, 01:04 AM

seriously guys mlewis is really bad. i feel bad for bengals fans. they suck forever and finally get a ton of talent. and i mean they are absolutely loaded. but the most the bungles will achieve out of probably the 2nd most talented offense in the league is mediocrity.
Old 09-18-2007, 01:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
1. Turner
1a. Edwards

[/ QUOTE ]

How is Edwards worse than Crennel? Cameron?

[/ QUOTE ]

i don't think Crennel is better than Edwards, but its pretty ridiculous to include coaches like Romeo on this list. He is 2 games into his third year and there are 9 players on the roster that were there when he took over (and one of them is the place kicker, wohoo!), and the few talents that have made the team have gone through some pretty sever injuries (edwards, winslow, bently, bodden, baxter). The Pittsburgh game and the QB scenario looked terrible, but its not like there was much of a choice in the situation, neither of those guys is a good QB (if anyone thinks that DAs performance against the Bengals should count for something, watch Edwards' second TD catch, he has 4 yards on his defender and has to make a sensational catch. DA was handed that performance by his o-line and his receivers holding onto virtually every ball). Two years is not nearly enough to judge a performance for a situation like this.
Old 09-18-2007, 01:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
To be fair, Herm took two teams with no real business being in playoffs there.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea I agree. I don't understand the hate for Herm but I also don't hardly ever watch any teams he is coaching.
Old 09-18-2007, 01:20 AM

The problem with this thread is that most (if not all) of us are only qualified to call a coach out for obvious game management/time out situations and replay challenge errors. This is the stuff that is easy to bitch about from home but its such a small part of being a head coach in the grand scheme of things.

This leads armchair coaches to deride a guy like Herman Edwards while totally overlooking the fact that he has taken some pretty weak teams into the playoffs.
Old 09-18-2007, 03:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If we score 21 points, I'll say, "whoa, we scored a lot of points." 21 points is a lot, 30 points isn’t a football game. That's Arena Football. We're talking about real football. -Herm 9/4/07

[/ QUOTE ]

/thread
Old 09-18-2007, 03:38 AM

We're not talkin bout practice

we talkin bout the game