Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-14-2007, 03:22 PM

Default Re: breaking vegetarians

vegetarians are more likely to be hot. let her be.
Old 09-14-2007, 03:23 PM

Blarg I see your point, but all I'm saying is she's mentally gridlocked by her fear of eating meat. She doesn't consider it an option. She has even said stuff like "if I were traveling I would eat meat," though who knows how true that really is. I'm not going to argue with her about the respective merits of herbivore vs. omnivore, just want to get her over that initial fear of chomping into meat. She is afraid of meaty texture, meaty taste, etc. I just want to show her that its not gross.

Kurt, thanks, those are awesome suggestions. I'll do my best not to be on the condescending prick side of that line. May go with the farm one if I can somehow swing it, I don't know anyone that hunts and could take me though. Maybe I'll go fishing and cook the catch up for her.
Old 09-14-2007, 03:43 PM

JaBlue,

I've been a strict vegetarian for 7 or 8 years now and recently decided I'd like to add fish into my diet (I haven't had fish since I've decided this though). This was no one else's doing but my own. Strictly based on my own experience, I really don't think you should be trying to coerce her into doing anything. There's already enough pressure on her to try it if she wants to, adding more by constantly suggesting or supporting it just makes it harder.

If she wants to try meat, she will. There's really no reason to be pushing her.
Old 09-14-2007, 03:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
She has even said stuff like "if I were traveling I would eat meat," though who knows how true that really is.

[/ QUOTE ]

Its funny you mention that. I was going to suggest you take a trip somewhere and order some kind of exotic local food that she will be curious to try. People are generally more open to trying new things when traveling or outside of their normal environment.

If she has this idea in her head that she can't eat meat because of animal cruelty, she just needs a plausible excuse for eating meat. Like ,"I was traveling".

I talked with a girl recently who was a vegetarian for years. Then she took at trip to Italy and tried some Italian Salami. She has been a meat eater ever since.
Old 09-14-2007, 04:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I've been a strict vegetarian for 7 or 8 years now and recently decided I'd like to add fish into my diet

[/ QUOTE ]
What was your thought process in making that decision?
Old 09-14-2007, 04:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I've been a strict vegetarian for 7 or 8 years now and recently decided I'd like to add fish into my diet

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

"Its OK to eat fish because they don't have any feelings."

Anyone? Bueller?
Old 09-14-2007, 04:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

"Its OK to eat fish because they don't have any feelings."

Anyone? Bueller?

[/ QUOTE ]

underneath the bridge, my tarp has sprung a leak.
Old 09-14-2007, 04:34 PM

How about taking her to a deli and getting a good, quality sandwich? Like a turkey BLT or something, with fresh tomatoes, lettuce and bread? seems like the easiest thing to start with. That way she can ease into all the delicious meats, pastrami, salami, roast beef. Soon she'll want to try different sandwiches, like pulled pork, tri-tip. Then she can try some baby-back ribs. And then maybe a cheeseburger! and then some delicious steaks! Lunchtime.
Old 09-14-2007, 04:48 PM

Speaking as an ex-vegetarian(longest I've ever done it is about a year), getting used to meat is best done in stages. Agreed on try chicken or fish or something. When I've gone and had red meat for the first time after being a vegetarian for months, it made me really nauseous. Other vegetarians I've talked to said it hit them the same way. So ... easy does it at first.
Old 09-14-2007, 07:10 PM

ive broken a couple vegetarians on accident. separate occasions. they happened to be hanging out at my place (friends of roommate, semifriends with me) when i was cooking, you guessed it, bacon.

i really had no intention of getting them back to meat, less bacon for me was not my goal.