Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > High Stakes MTT
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-13-2007, 07:58 PM

Default Re: WSOPE Hand vs Townsend

Hmmm. Good thing I'm flame-resistant.

Since we all apparently think we should should shove in the rest of our tournament chips on a draw, and Townsend is a "world-class" player, doesnt he know that? Are we shoving with A-Q? What about 9s? Are we folding? This fast tournament shove it or quit mentality is always amusing in slow tournaments and cash games. Does make for some exciting moments tho.

Anyway, I strongly disagree that he has a wide range of hands here vs hero's raise of three limpers and limpers yet to act. But if I am wrong, then no doubt your all-in advice is good.

Bluff-Raising three limpers is a dangerous button play. Bluff-re-raising a button-raiser hoping he is making a button play is even more dangerous. Townsend is trying to accumulate chips, not give them away. He had a good hand.

As for calling off 1-7 of our chips, you are discounting the possibility that we hit.

flame away ...
Old 09-13-2007, 08:46 PM

AK IS A DRAWING HAND.
Open limp preflop and check fold unless you flop a pair.
Old 09-13-2007, 11:05 PM

I think there's a tendency among online players to be overly sarcastic about comments like kenderworld's. I disagree with him, think shoving is the best play, and gave a pretty detailed explanation of why I think that. But it is true that hands like AK, AQ, JJ, TT, even QQ are valued differently by most live tournament players in most live tournament situations, which affects the ranges that are often involved in situations like these.

I think aba's range is plenty wide enough that shoving AK is correct given how badly it will play postflop, particularly with this effective stack size, but kenderworld's view isn't a meaningless joke. He phrased some of it a bit poorly, but there are live tournament contexts where shoving this hand would be awful.

/////

Does anyone reading this have "aba access." I know some of you are at wsop-e. It'd be cool if he stopped in to give his opinion on the hand.
Old 09-13-2007, 11:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hmmm. Good thing I'm flame-resistant.

Since we all apparently think we should should shove in the rest of our tournament chips on a draw, and Townsend is a "world-class" player, doesnt he know that? Are we shoving with A-Q? What about 9s? Are we folding? This fast tournament shove it or quit mentality is always amusing in slow tournaments and cash games. Does make for some exciting moments tho.

Anyway, I strongly disagree that he has a wide range of hands here vs hero's raise of three limpers and limpers yet to act. But if I am wrong, then no doubt your all-in advice is good.

Bluff-Raising three limpers is a dangerous button play. Bluff-re-raising a button-raiser hoping he is making a button play is even more dangerous. Townsend is trying to accumulate chips, not give them away. He had a good hand.

As for calling off 1-7 of our chips, you are discounting the possibility that we hit.

flame away ...

[/ QUOTE ]

we're clearly bluffing..

you clearly know what you're talking about..

LOL
Old 09-13-2007, 11:31 PM

The push is good because typical 2+2 types will raise limpers light on the button and villain knows this. It doesn't matter that you are pushing 100xBB. The situation is right for it. There are plenty of other scenarios where I would lay down AK preflop with these stack sizes.

I would definately push and simplify things against villian, who is a much better player than most of the regulars in this forum.

I don't think the flat call is that bad if followed up correctly. For example, you can push to a cbet on a semibluff, knowing you are about 25% against a pair. Definately, push gutshots and often backdoors, as well as flops that appear to have missed everyone. Probably fold a T98 flop. Also, fold when you miss and villain bets big or you have a read that he hit. If you hit, usually flat call a cbet.

Here villain checked the flop and bet the turn, which is actually harder to play against. This is why I wouldn't flat call against villain.