Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Community
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-12-2007, 06:53 AM

Default Re: A real eye opener for you online pros or wannabee pros at P5.com..

[ QUOTE ]

Serious question though, why does anyone play tournaments that can beat cash games? It seems for the same bankroll reqs your $ / 100 hands rate is so much higher in cash games.. I've run good in tournaments and I have a very very good ROI over my career over all sites etc etc even excluding my one mega score... but I just feel I'm losing the appeal.. You put in long hours where I know how much more I could make in cash games.. and I just can't figure out the point anymore

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 09-12-2007, 08:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
dude, they're one thing...

Serious question though, why does anyone play tournaments that can beat cash games? It seems for the same bankroll reqs your $ / 100 hands rate is so much higher in cash games.. I've run good in tournaments and I have a very very good ROI over my career over all sites etc etc even excluding my one mega score... but I just feel I'm losing the appeal.. You put in long hours where I know how much more I could make in cash games.. and I just can't figure out the point anymore

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude they are like crack. I can make more money with less stress at cash, and yet I still average like 10 tournaments a week. I'm getting better at kicking them, but FFS. Approaching a big final table is a high, and a lot of us are chasing it.
Old 09-12-2007, 08:02 AM

The bottom line is that cash games are so f'ing boring. I'd prob have an extra quarter mill in the bank right now if I'd stop playing MTT's...but I just can't.
Old 09-12-2007, 10:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The bottom line is that cash games are so f'ing boring. I'd prob have an extra quarter mill in the bank right now if I'd stop playing MTT's...but I just can't.

[/ QUOTE ]

glad to see im not the only person here on a bad downswing. im down big on the year . i just can't catch a break anywhere. i never win that crucial flip late in a tourney, or i always take that huge beat on the final table bubble, etc... the only site im a winner at in 2007 is bodog, and i refuse to play at that scummy site anymore (waiting 2 months for a check sucks and tourney guarentees suck as well). im a guy who made very good profits from middle of 2005 and all the way in 2006. im sick of people thinking that everyone who made money in years prior was just because partypoker was that much easier. i don't buy that notion. im actually a better player now, i study more, more training sites, etc... main thing that has changed for me is LUCK. LUCK is the most important factor in MTT's.

ps- sorry i had to take advantage of this oppurtunity for me to whine some more. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 09-12-2007, 10:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
dude, they're one thing...

[/ QUOTE ]
To rehash what everyone else have said, if cash games makes you want to gouge your eyes out from boredom, they're less +EV than MTTs anyway...
Old 09-12-2007, 10:31 AM

i'm up 6k in the 100r. played 8 times. holla!
Old 09-12-2007, 10:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

lol
Old 09-12-2007, 10:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

lol @ location
Old 09-12-2007, 10:56 AM

Oh god I didn't even notice his location. Lmao
Old 09-12-2007, 01:49 PM

Foucault basically nailed it. I would add that each MTT is a journey and has its own story arc and building tension that makes it interesting. And there’s the life-or-death aspect of MTTs that you don’t get in cash games. Whether it’s Survivor or American Idol or MTTs, we all get a primal thrill from contests of elimination. All of this is why making it deep in a MTT is the biggest thrill in poker. These days when I play MTTs I tend to do it at small stakes purely for gambling/entertainment value since I know that there is no way I’m going to acquire a big enough sample size to reflect whatever skill I have in these things and I’m more likely to see the downside of variance than the upside. I’m definitely not in it for the money, and IMHO almost everyone who does rely on MTTs for their livelihood is (or soon will be) pretty much insane.