Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-07-2007, 02:35 PM

Default Re: Ankiel HGH

SI's job is to sell copies of their [censored] magazine. Stories about Jorge Piedra, Mike Morse, and Neifi Perez don't do that. A story containing all of those guys won't move copy. They aren't concerned about cleaning up the game. They are trying to sell magazines and unload those stupid "world champion yearbook" things they give a way with their subscriptions.

Like you said redbean (OMG, I'm agreeing with you), Bonds is walking news story. That's why he gets major press, and the other guys are already forgotten. Although I am a little surprised that the Palmeiro thing didn't get more attention. Especially since he tested positive during what was a huge comeback season for him.
Old 09-07-2007, 02:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm under the impression that there is no evidence HGH has any performance enhancing effects, that studies have basically whiffed on it. Any medical types confirm/deny?

[/ QUOTE ]

Its very synergistic with juice+insulin. Only morans take it solo.
Old 09-07-2007, 02:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
SI's job is to sell copies of their [censored] magazine. Stories about Jorge Piedra, Mike Morse, and Neifi Perez don't do that. A story containing all of those guys won't move copy. They aren't concerned about cleaning up the game. They are trying to sell magazines and unload those stupid "world champion yearbook" things they give a way with their subscriptions.

Like you said redbean (OMG, I'm agreeing with you), Bonds is walking news story. That's why he gets major press, and the other guys are already forgotten. Although I am a little surprised that the Palmeiro thing didn't get more attention. Especially since he tested positive during what was a huge comeback season for him.

[/ QUOTE ]

Right, there job is to sell magazines. And since most readers don't care about integrity and honesty in reporting, their tactics are probably close to optimal. What RedBean is trying to say is that it is perfectly legit to try to convince the readers (i.e. us or people like us) to demand integrity and honesty in reporting. Then, SI will have to shape up or lose business. He isn't really criticizing SI, since they are just pandering to their subscribers, he is criticizing the subscribers. At the very least, be aware of what type of reporting your preferences gets you.
Old 09-07-2007, 03:18 PM

vhawk,

Excellent point. If there wasn't a market for the Bonds stories, then there wouldn't be so many printed. It's like any other market; they are just giving people what they want.
Old 09-07-2007, 03:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Right, there job is to sell magazines. And since most readers don't care about integrity and honesty in reporting, their tactics are probably close to optimal. What RedBean is trying to say is that it is perfectly legit to try to convince the readers (i.e. us or people like us) to demand integrity and honesty in reporting. Then, SI will have to shape up or lose business. He isn't really criticizing SI, since they are just pandering to their subscribers, he is criticizing the subscribers. At the very least, be aware of what type of reporting your preferences gets you.

[/ QUOTE ]

and this is what they are currently reporting:

SI.com reports that Troy Glaus received multiple shipments of performance-enhancing steroids through an internet distribution network between 2003 and 2004

I guess you can add that to your totals, Redbead [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Old 09-07-2007, 03:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
vhawk,

Excellent point. If there wasn't a market for the Bonds stories, then there wouldn't be so many printed. It's like any other market; they are just giving people what they want.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree entirely. I just think it might be worth my time trying to convince people that they don't really WANT these stupid stories, because in the long run its going to lead to trouble, and lead to a situation where you can't believe ANYthing you read and its all entirely worthless. Its hard to show people the long run and what the true implications are, but it might be worth the effort. Just look at all the monkeys who base opinions on this hack [censored].
Old 09-07-2007, 03:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
SI.com reports that Troy Glaus received multiple shipments of performance-enhancing steroids through an internet distribution network between 2003 and 2004

I guess you can add that to your totals, Redbead [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

What cracks me up about this whole case against the internet pharmacy in Florida is that SI sent two reporters ALONG FOR THE RIDE during the raid, so sure they would turn up the "smoking gun" evidence on Barry Bonds.

Instead, they found nothing related to Bonds, and in the process have caught several other folks in the crossfire with their hands in the cookie jar:

Pittsburgh Steelers team physician
Dallas Cowboys assistant coach
Gary Matthews, Jr.
Rodney Harrison
Rick Ankiel
Tory Glaus

They seem to be catching a lot of fish, just like Agent Novitsky did in the Grimsley Report, and Mitchell did with the Met's clubbie.....but they have yet to be able to put a hook in the <u>white whale!</u>

THAR SHE BLOWS! 762 and counting....
Old 09-07-2007, 03:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I just think it might be worth my time trying to convince people that they don't really WANT these stupid stories, because in the long run its going to lead to trouble, and lead to a situation where you can't believe ANYthing you read and its all entirely worthless.

[/ QUOTE ]

I tried that 4 years ago, warning that it would be opening a pandora's box and several hundreds, if not thousands, of athletes would fall by the wayside in the pursuit of Bonds, and ultimately the pursuit would be fruitless as they will never be able to get him.

I'm already seeing the hypocrisy in several folks who were shaking the pitchforks and lighting torches for Bonds, only now suddenly rationalizing, mitigating, or excusing other players getting caught red-handed in the wake.
Old 09-07-2007, 03:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I just think it might be worth my time trying to convince people that they don't really WANT these stupid stories, because in the long run its going to lead to trouble, and lead to a situation where you can't believe ANYthing you read and its all entirely worthless.

[/ QUOTE ]

I tried that 4 years ago, warning that it would be opening a pandora's box and several hundreds, if not thousands, of athletes would fall by the wayside in the pursuit of Bonds, and ultimately the pursuit would be fruitless as they will never be able to get him.

I'm already seeing the hypocrisy in several folks who were shaking the pitchforks and lighting torches for Bonds, only now suddenly rationalizing, mitigating, or excusing other players getting caught red-handed in the wake.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep, a good friend of mine, who is the world's biggest Bonds hater, has been so ridiculous on his PED soapbox about Bonds and how its like Holocaust&gt;Bonds&gt;Killing of Jesus on the all time great atrocities list, but the problem is, he is a big time Pats fan. While the Rodney Harrison situation is very different from the Bonds one, he went so ridiculously overboard on PEDs that he is now absolutely doomed for at least a year or so in all things sports. Too precious.
Old 09-07-2007, 03:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
vhawk,

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this is a simplistic view. they are not "giving us what we want" by definition. take a look at the non sports news media.