Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-01-2006, 04:10 PM

Default Re: The hand vs Matusow

as for the action, I agree that C/R looks the best.
Old 03-01-2006, 04:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
When you listen to matusow talk about the hand on the circuit, you really realize what a degenerate gambling moron he is. He doesn't even bother to realize that David did have the best hand. If David doesn't have the best hand he has more than enough outs to make it a profitable call. And oh, yeah mike, you DIDNT HAVE 21 OUTS.

[/ QUOTE ]

Someone should call this into the 'donk line', that would be hilarious.

I think Mike is a lot like a lot of players, and 2+2ers actually, he lost a hand and rather than try to learn from it, he concluded from square 1 that he played it perfectly and his opponent was a donk.

Word to the wise, I don't care who you are, in the game pof poker, when you stop trying with every ounce of your being to learn and get better, you're dead.
Old 03-01-2006, 04:36 PM

checking the turn is weak, betting is better.
villain should push- Overbet. Hero can't call.
Hero doesn't have a jack the way he's played the hand. AA-KK are also unlikely for hero to slow play. You happen to have caught a card on the turn that would allow you to call given the bounty.

IMO.
Old 03-01-2006, 06:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
damn, tough crowd.. I better get back to pocketfives where it's safe.

sheets

[/ QUOTE ]

If youre the sheets I think you are, then I think you can hold your own on this lil ole forum. Although I think folding T8s there is not something I would do in that spot. Unless of course I knew Matusow was coming in on the button, then I would fold.
Old 03-01-2006, 07:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I thought Mike could check behind if i checked the turn.

A hand he played before this one, he raised with K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] BB called

Flop came A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]5 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]; he bet and was called

4 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] in the turn, BB checked and Mike checked.

Thats why I thought Mike could check behind.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is very different from the hand you played with him. In the hand above he had showdown equity and could really only get implied odds from his flush draw by checking behind. It's a pretty standard checkbehind IMO.

In the hand with you he turned a no-pair draw, and he knows that he has to improve to win the pot. The board is also scary enough that he can put you to a hard decision with a bet, whereas the K9 hand his opponent's range is narrower and a bet likely gets called by exactly the range that beats his.

I mean, I can see arguments for checking Q9s behind there but I think he'll bet it a lot.

Everett
Old 03-01-2006, 07:47 PM

And how exactly do you know he has a draw-no pair in the turn?

He could easily have A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]5 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] or 6 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]5 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] there, and therefore, exactly the same situation vs my possible AK.
Old 03-01-2006, 07:55 PM

I am trying to figure out how you could put him on ANY range of hands here. By the time the turn has come to you, he could have any two, no?
Old 03-01-2006, 08:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
And how exactly do you know he has a draw-no pair in the turn?

He could easily have A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]5 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] or 6 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]5 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] there, and therefore, exactly the same situation vs my possible AK.

[/ QUOTE ]

You don't know. You're right that a flopped flush draw is possible, and he would probably check that behind. I thought you were saying you think he'd check Q9s behind, which I disagreed with. I didn't make any statement about his range or what you should do.

But now I will. I think his range is a lot of one pair hands, some air hands, and some goofy hands like Q9s (and obviously a few monsters). I think your decision hinges on how you think he'll play one pair and weird partial-trash hands (like Q9s or 56). Your hand looks like something medium-made (but certainly not strong), so I think he's likely to try to push you out while the board is still ugliness. Even with a hand like top pair. I just see him betting a lot of things that aren't a draw there.

So I check, planning to get it all in and fold out most of his hands, many of which are worse but have more outs than he needs to know.

Everet
Old 03-01-2006, 08:36 PM

anyone care to comment on Locutus' point? After we check call the flop, what hands are we representing that will be willing to call his push, if the turn isnt as favorable?

Lets say the turn is a blank, does Hero still bet? What
hand are we representing? If Mike believes he has F.E. arent we just setting ourselve up to fold the best hand fairly often here? We are making a 'close' call when on of the better cards falls on the turn, what about the rest of the time?
Old 03-05-2006, 05:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
anyone care to comment on Locutus' point?

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with Locutus and that was one of the reasons why I bet the turn. With the specific hand Matusow had (Q9s); I think an overbet in the turn if I checked was really possible; the pot was big enough by the turn and pros like Mike thrive on winning those pots.