Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Golf
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-05-2007, 09:53 PM

Default Re: Mickelson > BMW Champ.

BSF,

I think basically the vociferousness of your Phil rampages is what stands out among anything else. It's either that you aren't very good at internet discussion and feel the need to dig in and lash out with ad hominem attacks, or that you really hate Phil to a degree that's unhealthy. I can't remember your other arguments just that they occurred in the Sports forum and were similar in nature.

I don't think you're a troll so much as not very good at civilized debate on this matter, and possibly others.
Old 09-05-2007, 09:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I give him props for winning, and I hate Phil as much as anyone. He is lucky Tiger putted like a blind man, but he certainly played very well, no doubt about that.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol I love the backhanded compliment how Phil just won because "Tiger putted like a blind man." it's funny how we never hear about how Tiger just won events because [2nd place finisher] putted poorly or whatever. It's always OH TIGER HATES MAKING BOGEY SO MUCH, IF ONLY A FEW PUTTS COULD HAVE DROPPED HE WOULD HAVE SHOT 59 EACH DAY!

[ QUOTE ]
Euro,

I can't stop chuckling about you calling Sooners a troll, LMAO.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bitcho, you know that you are a legitimate troll and i am but a half-serious, quasi-troll. so I counter-LOL at you chuckling at my calling BSF a troll. and in this case, BSF was unusually trollish in his remarks (compared to previous threads), so I'm pretty sure i was on point when i called him a troll.

see shemp's evaluation of my posts a few posts back and you'll understand. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Old 09-05-2007, 10:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
that's obviously not true, but equally untrue is the fact that Phil wouldn't play well this week had he remained in the field.

[/ QUOTE ]

Really? Did you actually look at the results before you posted this? Phil hasn't finished in the top 25 there, EVER.

[/ QUOTE ]

did you read my post where I acknowledged immediately that Phil did not ever play well at the Western Open? However, I'm not just going to expect him to play poorly there just because his track record isn't stellar. He's playing incredibly well right now. Look back to 2004 when he finished 3rd in the Open after winning the Masters and finishing 2nd at the US Open. He had a lot of confidence and went into Troon and almost got into the playoff.

He just won on a course where he's never competed prior to this year. So you think he'd just go to Cog Hill and post another T40? I don't think so. he would have been in contention, likely not a winner, but would have solidified his points standing.

[ QUOTE ]
We don't have to jump on it. Phil does it himself. I give credit to Phil for having a short game that saves him from his drives/irons/decision-making choke jobs.

[/ QUOTE ]

At the Deutsche Bank, Phil was 1st in total driving and T8 in GIR, fwiw.
Old 09-05-2007, 10:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I love the backhanded compliment how Phil just won because "Tiger putted like a blind man."

[/ QUOTE ]

I almost commented on this the first time someone offered it immediately after Phil won. Apparently it is ho-hum that Phil managed to play just well enough to win (66) while no one else could put anything together-- just able to hit a shot when he needed it and stay one ahead of competitors who weren't quite able to rise to the occasion.

Well. I guess? And yeah, if Tiger makes a bunch of putts, he wins. Okay? Isn't that how some other folks have won tournaments. You know, posting the lowest score and stuff while the chasers run out of holes of just-not-quite-good-enough golf...

And when Phil is the guy who trails because he doesn't make those big shots and putts when he needs them it is simultaneously a matter of his general lack of heart and a reflection of the winner's grace/dominance.
Old 09-05-2007, 10:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Takes a little bit away from the event,

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd still give the field an A. :-)

[/ QUOTE ]

i'll agree, but it leans toward A-.
Old 09-05-2007, 10:15 PM

The whole "if only X did Y argument" is so dumb. I mean, if Tiger didn't play in the 2000 US Open Ernie Els would have won instead of losing by 15 shots or whatever, amirite? (I think Els finished 2nd or T2nd that year, too lazy to look it up but you get the point.) Christ, Brett Wetterich was the best tee-to-green player on Sunday but guess what, putting is like 40% of the game. Thanks for playing, Brett, please drive thru.

Also, I [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] calling it the Western Open. I once semi-moderated a golf league and every week when I sent out the results I named it after the original, non-sponsor name. The downside is people didn't know WTF I was talking about when I would send out e-mails with "Andy Williams Open Results" or "Danny Thomas" in the subject line...
Old 09-05-2007, 10:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It's always OH TIGER HATES MAKING BOGEY SO MUCH, IF ONLY A FEW PUTTS COULD HAVE DROPPED HE WOULD HAVE SHOT 59 EACH DAY!

[/ QUOTE ]

Tiger is simply a better golfer and he's been a better competitor-- then anyone in the history of the game. What does it mean "better competitor"-- well, I don't want to defend that, and I probably can't to anyone's satisfaction... but that his opponents are due for such derision. Weird.

Anyway, I love your "Tiger hates making bogey..." riff so much I've decided to steal it.
Old 09-05-2007, 10:20 PM

pretty sure Els and Miguel Angel Jimenez were both T2 on Tiger's judgment day at Pebble.
Old 09-05-2007, 10:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think Tiger should've been at the Buick...er Barclays as well, but at least his excuse looked legitimate. He actually had the stress of being in contention the two weeks prior, unlike Phil.

[/ QUOTE ]

so what you're saying here is that Tiger's excuse for missing the Barclays event was legitimate because he was in contention the two weeks prior to that event, UNLIKE PHIL.

So in the two events prior to Phil missing the Western Open, you're implying he wasn't in contention? Is that correct?

So T7 at Westchester which could have easily been better had Phil made a few more putts (which is difficult for Phil, because we know he loves to make bogey almost more than he loves lobster ravioli) and then winning the Deutsche Bank isn't "being in contention the previous two (2) weeks?"

So?

edit: ????
Old 09-05-2007, 10:36 PM

Els and The Mechanic, ok then. I knew that was the year of infamy for Els, where he finished with some share of 2nd in the first three majors, and then I think fell off the map when Tiger and Bob May did battle at the PGA.

I was there that Saturday in June of 2000. Parked my then not-so-fatass in the grandstand on the 8th hole, simply because my father said it was the greatest hole he'd every played anywhere. It is truly a great golf hole and is unfortunately overshadowed by 7 and 18, two no doubt great holes as well.

Player after player came through and got owned by that hole. Fred Couples, who I sat next to at breakfast the next morning, is the only player I saw who made birdie, and that required making a really long putt. The green was about the size of my bedroom, and harder than my carpet. Tiger bogeyed it too, the massive sea of fans even way back then following him around the course. When he posted a triple bogey on the 3rd hole that day there was a huge gasp among the bleachers, wow does someone else really have a chance? No...

I joked that the bleachers were like "rent control". Once you had a seat people would hold it for you. I think I had a seat for 4-5 hours as everyone came through. Monty and Sergio both triple bogeyed the hole. I was in a constant fight with my bladder as I was buying beers two at a time but also had to piss a lot. I probably spent as much time out of my seat as in it, but my new friends held it for me. The three other guys I was with preferred to walk around the course so I broke away from them. I forgot to put on sunscreen and the wind + sun + facing south absolutely destroyed me. Lots of blisters and peeling in coming days. I felt like a lobster.

Anyway, random story. /hijack