Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-02-2007, 06:44 PM

Default Re: *** Official Appalachian State Football 2007 Thread ***

I will just say that the on the highlights I saw, ASU offensive and defensive lines were holding their own. This absolutely blew my mind. I know: highlights and all, but still. It seems to me that with as huge of a talent would be so completely dominated at the line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball, that an upset of the proportion many of you argue this is would be almost impossible.

As someone else mentioned earlier, football is a game that does not lend itself to the mega-upsets that, say, basketball does. I seem to recall one year Grambling State upset (I think) GA Tech in a 3 vs 14 match-up in the NCAA tourny, and the coach said something like "this kind of upset could have never happened in football."

Obviously, there is a huge amount of discrepancy in talent, and this was a HUGE upset. But I am less inclined to believe this upset was as monumental as many are making it out to be. No doubt, it was huge though. But ASU could very likely beat bottom of the barrel BCS teams such as MS State, Utah State, or Notre Dame.
Old 09-02-2007, 06:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
But ASU could very likely beat bottom of the barrel BCS teams such as MS State, Utah State, or Notre Dame.

[/ QUOTE ]

This should be the other way around. App St is a fave v these teams.
Old 09-02-2007, 06:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
But ASU would very likely beat bottom of the barrel BCS teams such as MS State, Utah State, or Notre Dame.

[/ QUOTE ]

This should be the other way around. App St is a fave v these teams.

[/ QUOTE ]
Good point.

FMP.
Old 09-02-2007, 07:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
ummmm......I don't know what to say
the other 1-AA teams listed are right there with App St

[/ QUOTE ]

Orly? Why don't you list their records along with the records of the Big Ten teams? Most of those AA teams had about 4 losses. Besides, we were talking about the bottom tier Big Ten teams. I guess you consider everyone below OSU and Michigan bottom-tier, like 3/4 loss teams like Purdue, Penn St, etc. Not to mention they were all away games for the AA teams.

The argument was that App St and the top AA teams could compete against the bottom tier Big Ten teams.

[ QUOTE ]
The upset yesterday is the most ridiculous thing I've seen in my life regarding college football.

[/ QUOTE ]

Personally I thought it was OU losing (actually being stolen from) to Oregon last year.
Old 09-02-2007, 07:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Personally I thought it was OU losing (actually being stolen from) to Oregon last year.

[/ QUOTE ]
That was indeed insane. (Sorry, OT.)
Old 09-02-2007, 07:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The media is trying to do everything it can, apparently, to save Carr's job

[/ QUOTE ]
Where are you reading this? He is gone and everyone knows it. Even dumbass Mandel knows it over at si.com
Old 09-02-2007, 09:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I will just say that the on the highlights I saw, ASU offensive and defensive lines were holding their own. This absolutely blew my mind. I know: highlights and all, but still. It seems to me that with as huge of a talent would be so completely dominated at the line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball, that an upset of the proportion many of you argue this is would be almost impossible.

As someone else mentioned earlier, football is a game that does not lend itself to the mega-upsets that, say, basketball does. I seem to recall one year Grambling State upset (I think) GA Tech in a 3 vs 14 match-up in the NCAA tourny, and the coach said something like "this kind of upset could have never happened in football."

Obviously, there is a huge amount of discrepancy in talent, and this was a HUGE upset. But I am less inclined to believe this upset was as monumental as many are making it out to be. No doubt, it was huge though. But ASU could very likely beat bottom of the barrel BCS teams such as MS State, Utah State, or Notre Dame.

[/ QUOTE ]

So, your argument is that if this was as huge of an upset as some are making it out to be, it could not have happened. The fact that it happened means it wasn't that huge of an upset. Ok.
Old 09-02-2007, 09:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]

So, your argument is that if this was as huge of an upset as some are making it out to be, it could not have happened. The fact that it happened means it wasn't that huge of an upset. Ok.

[/ QUOTE ]
Gotta love a tautology that compact! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Actually I was making an argument that this was not as big of an upset that people are making it out to be based in the small ammount of highlights I saw in which ASU's offensive and defensive lines were holding their own. That argument is almost as weak though for obvious reason.

Either way, the argument has devolved into is this a huge upset, or a huge upset. I was just saying, put me in the huge upset camp.
Old 09-02-2007, 09:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The media is trying to do everything it can, apparently, to save Carr's job

[/ QUOTE ]
Where are you reading this? He is gone and everyone knows it. Even dumbass Mandel knows it over at si.com

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm assuming that's what all the pro-FCS stuff that ESPN was running as a "Maybe Michigan isn't that bad but rather ASU is that good" is about.
Old 09-02-2007, 09:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Man, that kid does NOT want to watch the Women's Selection Special at 5.