Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-06-2007, 01:49 AM

Default Re: 2 Mormons attempt to recruit black guy in Burger King parking lot

[ QUOTE ]
I don't know if I would go that far. Often you meet people in school who offer alternative viewpoints or perhaps you had some bad experience within your church and you rebelled at a young age. So while I don't think that it's certain that almost everyone will remain in the church, it is sure to be a significant majority.

[/ QUOTE ] School? Other view points? What? You realize, Mormon's own their own colleges. I went to BYU. So I'm talking about a different level of indoctrination then you are talking about. Other than that, we don't disagree at all. I certainly agree that if you are going to rebel, it will be at a young age, but I'd put the percentage of rebels ( at least in my area ) at less then 10%.

edit - Ahem - significantly less then 10%, perhaps closer to less then 3%.

Old 09-06-2007, 01:58 AM

Thoughts on this: clip was awesome. Props to black dude for correctly quoting scripture on the fly. Mormons are silly. A decent part of me feels this was set up. Either way, very entertaining.
Old 09-06-2007, 03:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I don't know if I would go that far. Often you meet people in school who offer alternative viewpoints or perhaps you had some bad experience within your church and you rebelled at a young age. So while I don't think that it's certain that almost everyone will remain in the church, it is sure to be a significant majority.

[/ QUOTE ] School? Other view points? What? You realize, Mormon's own their own colleges. I went to BYU. So I'm talking about a different level of indoctrination then you are talking about. Other than that, we don't disagree at all. I certainly agree that if you are going to rebel, it will be at a young age, but I'd put the percentage of rebels ( at least in my area ) at less then 10%.

edit - Ahem - significantly less then 10%, perhaps closer to less then 3%.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, is it that low? Has anybody actually ever seen defection rates for various religions (if such a thing exists)?

And by school I meant high school. Obviously most people Mormons encounter are other Mormons, but it's not like they don't have any contact with other people. However, I'm sure it is rare that an outsider will get the exposure or time to change one's beliefs.
Old 09-06-2007, 04:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Wow, is it that low? Has anybody actually ever seen defection rates for various religions (if such a thing exists)?

[/ QUOTE ]
Hi, Your posts actually make me want to ask the local Mormon bishop about this. I myself would be curious. But I can assure you that defecation rates are extremely low among Mormons in Idaho, but perhaps these rates are increasing due to the internet. I'd be very curious.

[ QUOTE ]
And by school I meant high school. Obviously most people Mormons encounter are other Mormons, but it's not like they don't have any contact with other people. However, I'm sure it is rare that an outsider will get the exposure or time to change one's beliefs.

[/ QUOTE ]

High schoolers don’t have developed barroom debate tactics. Hardly any Mormon loses his faith during high school. If they begin to doubt at all, it is reinforced, by seminary teachings, Sunday school, sacrament meeting, priesthood meeting, family evening, home teachers, and all these things are rapped around each other with sports events, singles events, family events, etc. Being Mormon is a seven day a week occupation.

edit - and keep in mind, I haven't begun on the myriad reinforcement of beliefs before high school.
Old 09-06-2007, 04:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The weakest part of cyclists was that they didn't have a clue how to engage in a Jerry Springer style debate AND they didn't understand their own position or the opponents position well enough. An experienced and sufficiently informed carrot would have made Dude look silly.
luckyme

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, the fat guy just muscled his way through, there was little finesse or argument. I'm pretty sure the Mormons could destroy this guy in scriptural debate or structured debate where he's not allowed to talk over their points.

I always cringe when I see black guys talking about Jesus. It's not enough that white people kidnapped, enslaved and abused their ancestors, they have to bear the legacy of their former captor's brainwashing as well.
Old 09-06-2007, 05:40 AM

...for Jesus was a white man from Oxford.

Eddie Izzard
Old 09-06-2007, 10:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Hi, Your posts actually make me want to ask the local Mormon bishop about this. I myself would be curious. But I can assure you that defecation rates are extremely low among Mormons in Idaho, but perhaps these rates are increasing due to the internet. I'd be very curious.

[/ QUOTE ]

eating too many potatoes?
Old 09-06-2007, 01:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

eating too many potatoes?

[/ QUOTE ] LoL. Thanks. The first thing I did when I woke up this morning, of course the first thing that I do most mornings, is I try to figure out every retarded thing I did the night before when I was drunk. I swear, the first thought through my head this morning was that Taraz and I were discussing defecation rates when it should have been defection rates. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] You beat me to a correction. Lol, again. Your comment is funnier than I would have made it.