Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Golf
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-06-2007, 05:34 PM

Default Re: My Swing Video (Driver)

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Advising someone to keep their head still is also counter productive, one need only look at the swings of David Duval, Jim Furyk and Annika Sorenstam to see this is not important to good ball striking.

[/ QUOTE ]

You've named three top pros who are/were successful, that's hardly an endorsement for "keeping your head still is not key to good ball striking". By this same logic he should just keep his swing like john daly since that worked for john daly.

[ QUOTE ]
Swinging slower is more typical amatuer advice. Someone with a [censored] swing who swings slower will simply have a slow [censored] swing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Great point, I know that when I swing as hard and fast as I possibly can my swing is just as controlled as when I swing at a more controlled normal pace.

[/ QUOTE ]

The head reacts to body movement, trying to kep your head still will not improve your body movement, moving the body correctly will correct your head movement. If the body moves correctly and and the arms are in synch you are not going to swing "too" fast. Your hub, the body, can only turn and uncoil so fast, people get in trouble when the snatch away with their hands or arms on the take away or get too quick with the hands and arms on the downswing If the body moves correctly and you have proper sychronization you do not need to worry about how fast you are swinging.
Old 09-06-2007, 05:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If the body moves correctly and you have proper sychronization you do not need to worry about how fast you are swinging.

[/ QUOTE ]

Does this sound like OP? Does this sound like a person who hits huge slices or 10' tops with his driver?
Old 09-06-2007, 05:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]

You've named three top pros who are/were successful, that's hardly an endorsement for "keeping your head still is not key to good ball striking". By this same logic he should just keep his swing like john daly since that worked for john daly.

[/ QUOTE ]

If his swing was like John Daly he would hit it like John Daly. Daly is one of the most flexible guys on tour and his swing length has to do with his ability to coil his body not simply lift his arms.
Old 09-06-2007, 05:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If the body moves correctly and you have proper sychronization you do not need to worry about how fast you are swinging.

[/ QUOTE ]

Does this sound like OP? Does this sound like a person who hits huge slices or 10' tops with his driver?

[/ QUOTE ]

Ask Nick Price. You ever watch Tiger go after a driver? You think he swings too fast? How fast do you think you can coil and uncoil your body with your arms moving in sync? Do it as fast as you can and I gurantee no one will think you swing too fast. Now granted you don't want to go full throttle after every shot because speed increases variance, but slowing down a bad swing is no cure for anything. When you see a swing that you think is too fast it is actually a swing that is not moving in proper sequence. The body parts moving on the back swing are top to bottom and the sequence on the down swing is ground up starting with the feet, a bump left.

Tops and slices? How about if we both post our swings?
Old 09-06-2007, 11:16 PM

Can we all agree that the "reverse pivot" is one of my main problems? I came across this article and it hits pretty close to home.

(146).."#4 The Reverse Pivot"
PROBLEM:
If I had to point to one flaw that most amateurs share, it's the reverse pivot. A reverse pivot occurs when the head and upper body tilt toward the target in the backswing and the weight shifts onto the left (front) foot rather than the right (back) foot. This is the exact opposite of what should happen in an efficient golf swing. Since your weight falls away from the target during a reverse pivot, it's difficult to finish on the left leg at the end of the swing.

RESULT:
The reverse-pivot action positions the bottom of the swing arc too much behind the golf ball. This causes you to either hit the ground behind the ball or hit the top half of the ball as the club makes its way upward from the bottom of the swing arc. Not only does the reverse pivot create fats and tops, but also weak, glancing blows as the golfer fires while falling back away from the target. Furthermore, it's nearly impossible to square the clubface when you're falling away from the target, and the directional miss is often a weak, high push-slice.

FIX:
The major cause for the reverse pivot I've observed is an improper first move and trying to keep the club face pointing at the ball through the entire backswing. If when you make the first move (last weeks tip)and the club is parallel to the ground and the toe "is not" pointing straight up with at that time, the only way to complete the swing is to raise the arms, thus pulling the left shoulder and head down going into a reverse pivot. This is compounded by the fact your wrists can not [censored] correctly, because the back of your hands are pointing at the ground, which if cocked will put the club out of the swing plane.
Another cause of a reverse pivot is trying to keep the head too still to point of restricting the rotation of your spine. No body rotation means you must use your arms only and a arm swing equals a reverse pivot. Golfers with this problem are constantly told to "keep their head down". This is real good reason "NOT" to listen to your golfer buddies and seak the help of a teaching professional. You raise your head, because you pulled it down (they don't see this). Your brain knows you'll hit the ground if you don't raise back up, so you do (they see this). So you listen and here you are, head locked, swinging with your arms only and woundering why your distance and consistency are in the toilet.
Allow your chin to rotate slightly away from the target. This allows the left shoulder to turn under the chin and your upper body to coil into the correct position behind the golf ball. A good, upper-body pivot will naturally shift your weight onto your right leg without a conscious effort to do so. Now you're in a powerful position and poised to deliver the club on-plane.

DRILL:
Make the correct first move. Reach, club parallel to the ground and target line, toe straight up toward sky. Work on keeping the shoulders level during the rotation of the body and not letting the left shoulder drop.
-From Golf tips ]
Old 09-07-2007, 02:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Swinging slower is more typical amatuer advice. Someone with a [censored] swing who swings slower will simply have a slow [censored] swing

[/ QUOTE ]

it is condescending golf guy!! yeah!!!

i guess tempo is just one of those things that really doesn't matter. i mean, hey, you won the club championship.
Old 09-07-2007, 02:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Ask Nick Price. You ever watch Tiger go after a driver? You think he swings too fast? How fast do you think you can coil and uncoil your body with your arms moving in sync? Do it as fast as you can and I gurantee no one will think you swing too fast. Now granted you don't want to go full throttle after every shot because speed increases variance, but slowing down a bad swing is no cure for anything. When you see a swing that you think is too fast it is actually a swing that is not moving in proper sequence. The body parts moving on the back swing are top to bottom and the sequence on the down swing is ground up starting with the feet, a bump left.

[/ QUOTE ]

Man you are dense.

Can Tiger swing as hard as possible and hit a good shot? Yes.

Can an average golfer (like OP) swing as hard as possible and hit a good shot? Not often.

Why are we going to post our swings? This thread is about the OP, who showed us a video of hitting a huge slice and then topping the ball.
Old 09-07-2007, 03:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Swinging slower is more typical amatuer advice. Someone with a [censored] swing who swings slower will simply have a slow [censored] swing

[/ QUOTE ]

it is condescending golf guy!! yeah!!!

i guess tempo is just one of those things that really doesn't matter. i mean, hey, you won the club championship.

[/ QUOTE ]

You interchange tempo and slow, one can have a fast tempo. Good tempo is the result of proper sequential movement of body parts.

I told the guy that the head still advice was bunk and he finds instruction that backs that up. Don't be a hater.
Old 09-07-2007, 03:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Man you are dense.

Can Tiger swing as hard as possible and hit a good shot? Yes.

Can an average golfer (like OP) swing as hard as possible and hit a good shot? Not often.

Why are we going to post our swings? This thread is about the OP, who showed us a video of hitting a huge slice and then topping the ball.

[/ QUOTE ]

Tiger can swing hard because his body coils correctly and he moves in proper sequence. OP could swing hard too if he coiled correctly and moved in proper sequence. Swinging slower will not make him coil better or move in proper sequence. I resent being called dense.
Old 09-07-2007, 04:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
And finally the advice for a 20 plus handicpper to practice hitting 6 irons off your kneees is so laughable its unbelieveable. Maybe a driver off a tee, but a 6 iron off the ground on your knees by a hack makes me LMFAO!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Could you explain why this would be a bad drill for someone like me? Is it too advanced or something?

Thanks,
Dave

P.S. Don't worry about offending me or anything by calling me a hack, I know I am. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I said to tee up the 6 iron off the knees btw, I also mentioned it would hook due to the lie angle. This is a difficult drill, but unlike our mate here, I think you show a good deal of potential. All you really need is some stability and you'd have a good swing imo.

As for the swing bottoming out too early with your foot up on a bucket.....That's precisely what will happen if you lack stability, which is why you do the drill. If you can remain stable you can strike the ball perfectly, if not you will probably fall on your ass.