Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-26-2007, 07:41 PM

Default Re: enduring temporary, but excruciating, pain

At first I was like [censored] ya 1 Billion shipit, but after thinking about it and reading the comments, there is no way I would do this even for the money or what not.
Old 08-26-2007, 07:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'd agree that you have experienced this pain.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll start by saying this -- I got to experience that pain for 45-50 minutes when it happened, and there is no way in hell a human being could endure that for two weeks without attempting to kill themselves. There was also the pain when I was going back into surgery when the original surgeries didn't take, and even though I was on a Morphine pump, it STILL would rate as the second worst pain of my life. Both instances were complete and total sensory overload and looking back, the phrase "It hurt so bad, I couldn't think straight" really does a disservice to that pain.

[ QUOTE ]
If the doctors were bound (legally or morally or otherwise) to obey your command, would you have still told them to abort the operation by amputating the hand? Knowing full well that if you stick it out, you will be fine?

[/ QUOTE ]

By "stick it out" I assume that you mean for two weeks? Take the hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

I got my finger butterflied and chopped off, only a little skin on the top side of my hand kept it on, felt no pain, even when they took me to the ER and injected me with some numbing agent before surgery. none of this hurt, they gave me painkillers before surgery and that made me almost puke...that sucked. Adrenalin is a wonderful thing, in all reality the worst part was a week later when the doc did a check up and forcibly bent my finger to make sure my tendons were healing right. that made me sweat a little.
Old 08-26-2007, 07:52 PM

Two weeks is a lot longer than you think it is. This stuff stays with you.
Old 08-26-2007, 08:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I got my finger butterflied and chopped off, only a little skin on the top side of my hand kept it on, felt no pain, even when they took me to the ER and injected me with some numbing agent before surgery. none of this hurt, they gave me painkillers before surgery and that made me almost puke...that sucked. Adrenalin is a wonderful thing, in all reality the worst part was a week later when the doc did a check up and forcibly bent my finger to make sure my tendons were healing right. that made me sweat a little.

[/ QUOTE ]

When I tell people the story, they immediately say "So did you go into shock"? No, no I did not. I lost three fingers and felt everything until they hit me with so much morphine that I thought I was floating and asked to be held down. To make it worse, there was exposed bone sticking out of two of my fingers and any touch, snag, or the slightest bump to make contact with them shot pain through my entire right side.

Adrenaline, shock, whatever it is that makes the pain go away was in no way present in my body.

Come to think of it, I don't know how much money it would take for me to voluntarily go through just 50 minutes of that pain again, let alone two weeks.
Old 08-26-2007, 08:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd agree that you have experienced this pain.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was also ejected from a car during an accident, flew 25 feet in the air and landed on my right side, skidding down the side of the road and making hamburger of my right side.

Not as painful as the disc and certainly not as painful as the fingers.
Old 08-26-2007, 08:25 PM

No backflips?
Old 08-26-2007, 09:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If the doctors were bound (legally or morally or otherwise) to obey your command, would you have still told them to abort the operation by amputating the hand? Knowing full well that if you stick it out, you will be fine?

[/ QUOTE ]

By "stick it out" I assume that you mean for two weeks? Take the hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

How long could you hold out before amputating the hand, for 1 billion or whatever other demand you could possibly come up with?
Old 08-26-2007, 09:49 PM

Do some research on people who have surgery but the anesthesia does not put them completely asleep and they are only rendered frozen but can feel every single cut and slice...most these people end up killing themselves or living with sever PTSD.
Old 08-26-2007, 09:51 PM

I would absolutely do it as pain is easy to endure when you KNOW it will cause no permanent damage - or will even help you in the long run.

I think this would be a transcendent and deeply fulfilling experience
Old 08-26-2007, 09:51 PM

Hmm, now that's a good question, dustbust. I think the problem with your original post was that two weeks of non-stop torture is so long that it's absurd. How long could you hold out for $1B ...? Obviously everyone would do it for .001 seconds but 2 weeks is also way too long. Maybe I'm a huge vag, but I honestly think my answer would be in minutes, not hours or days. Maybe 3 minutes? Maybe 10 minutes of nearly unbearable pain for a huge amount of money? I dunno, I could be way undershooting this. What do others think?