Old 08-24-2007, 01:13 AM

Default Re: The mark of the douchebag

[ QUOTE ]
bluetooth headset

[/ QUOTE ]

This one resonates.
Old 08-24-2007, 01:08 AM

I have no idea what to make of this list since I don't know anyone who qualifies for #1-3. Maybe you should have posted in the Golf forum?

But #4 just sounds like someone who is really into that event. I have heard that this is a faux pas, so I never do it. Failure to realize this might make someone a geek, but I don't see how it makes them a douche. Including this makes me think that you have a much different definition of "douche" than I do.
Old 08-24-2007, 01:12 AM

For everyone hating on the OP: while his points may be exaggerated, all the individuals he is labeling share the characteristic of trying to draw attention to themselves for something they want you to be impressed by (their vacations, frat life, golf courses played, or events previously attended). For all of these examples, OP is assuming that said individuals would not engage in said activities unless they were trying to brag.
Old 08-24-2007, 01:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
For everyone hating on the OP: while his points may be exaggerated, all the individuals he is labeling share the characteristic of trying to draw attention to themselves for something they want you to be impressed by (their vacations, frat life, golf courses played, or events previously attended). For all of these examples, OP is assuming that said individuals would not engage in said activities unless they were trying to brag.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude, no. It's just not always what you and the life nit perceive it to be. I understand how you could see it that way but these people aren't trying to go all higher value/worth on you. They just enjoyed their vacation, golf weekend, frat, or whatever and decided to put on the silly bumper sticker or put on the shirt.

I am amazed that people like you can get out of bed in the morning without over thinking yourself.

J
Old 08-24-2007, 01:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

But with respect to #4, I would think most people would wear an event T-shirt to the event not to brag, but to feel more like a member of the community of event attendees. They are trying to fit in with the crowd more so than impress the crowd.

Do you think that people who wear team colors to a football game are trying to "impress" everyone as to what huge fans they are of the team? No, for the most part they just want get into the spirit of the event and feel closer to their team and fellow fans.

In many cases, wearing an event T-shirt would be inappropriate because it would seem like the person is trying too hard to fit in. But this is a sign of a social deficiency associated with geekiness, not douchiness.
Old 08-24-2007, 04:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Isn't virtually every thread here touching on fashion an attempt to brag?

Oh, I'm sorry if I forgot whether aviators were supposed to be "cool" or not now.
Old 08-24-2007, 01:02 AM

1. yes
2. no
3. meh
4. are you kidding me? how is it NOT appropriate to wear that attire
Old 08-24-2007, 01:03 AM

Also, a much truer sign of the douchebag is a tattoo. Pretty much any kind, except if you got it in the military.
Old 08-24-2007, 01:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Also, a much truer sign of the douchebag is a tattoo. Pretty much any kind, except if you got it in the military.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're labeling way too big and diverse section of the population for this to be correct whatsoever. You obviously thought of one exception (military) while thinking for the 10 seconds it took you to type your post. There are obviously tons of others as well.

For the record, I hate tattoos, I just don't agree with the post.
Old 08-24-2007, 01:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You're labeling way too big and diverse section of the population for this to be correct whatsoever. You obviously thought of one exception (military) while thinking for the 10 seconds it took you to type your post. There are obviously tons of others as well.

For the record, I hate tattoos, I just don't agree with the post.

[/ QUOTE ]

what do you think are good tattoos? I've now done a minute of thinking on the matter.