Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-24-2007, 03:20 PM

Default Re: The \"definitive\" angle shot ?

[ QUOTE ]
Why didn't you just bet out your $68 instead of fishing an angle verbally ?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you're assuming the OP was knowingly shooting an angle.

I can give the benefit of the doubt on that. There are many cases where people do actions that could be considered an angle but really aren't. Intent is the prime factor.

I don't think OP was trying to trap him into a binding call as much as he just didn't know the rule about it. There is a difference.

You have to know the rule and it's parameters before you can knowingly shoot the angle.

b
Old 08-27-2007, 03:47 PM

OP,

What if he says "If you bet, I'm going all-in" or "I'm going to checkraise! CHECK!" and then you bet. Do you consider those binding? I haven't been in a room where statements like that are binding and don't see why his statement in this situation would be binding. I don't consider what he did an angle shot.
Old 08-28-2007, 01:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
OP,

What if he says "If you bet, I'm going all-in" or "I'm going to checkraise! CHECK!" and then you bet. Do you consider those binding? I haven't been in a room where statements like that are binding and don't see why his statement in this situation would be binding. I don't consider what he did an angle shot.

[/ QUOTE ]

Correct. And not only are verbal declarations out of turn not binding, NO action, including putting chips out when it's not your turn, is binding. If it's not your turn, nothing you do is binding, except folding I guess. The floor decision was wrong as he should not have been required to even put in the $4.
Old 08-28-2007, 07:48 AM

Bottom line, you just played it poorly. You wanted to trap him into going all in, but you did it in a way that made it obvious that you had a big hand: ask the dealer if the cap is unlimited after one heads-up reraise, then try to push all in. Even the foolish Vegas-man saw through that one. You should have at least gone back and forth a few times first, and then made an offer directly to him to save time. Let him get a little pot committed first. And no, a verbal declaration to go all in with you when playing a limit game can't be considered binding. At least not until those chips pass the line.