Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-22-2007, 04:05 PM

Default Re: ask me how I ended up 44, never married and with no kids

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
any regrets?

[/ QUOTE ]

I've had a few... [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

no, not really...only that I should've started saving money from my very first paycheck, I guess.

[/ QUOTE ]

are you saving now for retirement?
Old 08-22-2007, 04:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
how's the financing for the film coming along?

[/ QUOTE ]

well, it's sort of like having a girlfriend. either you have it or you don't. all the flirting up to the point of commitment doesn't mean a damn thing. Although, with the girlfriend, at least the flirting part is pleasant.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol

at least with the girl you can always try and get her drunk
Old 08-22-2007, 04:19 PM

Dom,

I got divorced at 30 and was pretty much dead set on ever getting married again, or at least for 15 years. I was single for 5+ years and really, really enjoyed it, and I'm pretty sure I would have been happy as a single man the rest of my days.

But then I met the current Mrs. DD, and my attitude changed pretty quickly. I really didn't want to get married again but I really wanted to marry her. It was a weird experience.

Mow I'm Mr. Domestic with a house and a mortgage and an SUV, but I love being with Mrs. DD and having a son is the greatest thing that's ever happened to me. Even though I loved being single, I don't think I'd be happy going back, now that I know what it's like to be a daddy.

Not sure what I'm saying here...

I guess the point is that you can enjoy your life no matter what you're doing, and you shouldn't get married unless you can't stand the idea of not marrying one particular person. Don't just get married and have kids because you want to get married and have kids. Of course, I get the feeling you know that.

Since you're single, take advantages of the advantages of being single... like getting random BJs from strange women in parking garages, etc.
Old 08-22-2007, 04:42 PM

Dom...lol
I'm nearing 30 and asking myself the same question u seem to be asking yourself...

My main problem is I'm slowly starting to think and believe that I would have a better social life and be more happy living in scottsdale but that would mean saying goodbye to the career/years I put in working in the industry in LA.
Old 08-22-2007, 04:47 PM

having no kids is the biggest decision to me, over no wife...

my girlfriend and i have been pondering what life would be w/o kids...we're both teachers, so we'd never be rich, but comfortable enough to travel every summer with no kids...

my aunt, whose husband just died, is rich (7+ figures in the bank), but she always tells me how bad of a decision it was to never have kids, because all the money in the world doesn't take away the lonliness, and sense of family...

i dunno, i could see it both ways. i could have a family, or be alone, depending on how the river falls..
Old 08-22-2007, 04:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
What happened with your fiance? I remember reading the engagement thread but not anything on the breakup.

[/ QUOTE ]

We were together four years, moved to Vegas, bought a house, got engaged...then realized we were best friends and not really interested in being lovers anymore. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

So we ended it. We're still close though and see and talk to one another all the time. She's still a good friend. In fact, she introduced me to the last woman I dated, albeit briefly!

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you ever think you just ran out the clock on this one? I've seen this happen a lot, a couple is great together, but if they don't get married in X amount of time, it just dies. What do you think would have happened if you'd gotten married at the 3 year mark? I ask, because again, I've experienced this, and seen it too, but if you get married, most marriages go through this phase where the great fires of romance are gone, but other things take over, like being friends, raising kids, and just generally building a life together. I can't tell you how many people tell me their spouse is also their best friend. (Me too.) All that stuff you see on TV about couples with kids going at it all the time like two rabbits, that's only in Hollywood. Even without kids, I think relationships just evolve, and if you aren't prepared for that, be prepared to want to move on after awhile.

Add: This isn't to say there's no romance, but it definitely takes a back seat for long periods, especially with kids around. (This is why Sunday School was invented. It has nothing to do with religion and everything to do with no kids being around.)
Old 08-22-2007, 04:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
having no kids is the biggest decision to me, over no wife...

my girlfriend and i have been pondering what life would be w/o kids...we're both teachers, so we'd never be rich, but comfortable enough to travel every summer with no kids...

my aunt, whose husband just died, is rich (7+ figures in the bank), but she always tells me how bad of a decision it was to never have kids, because all the money in the world doesn't take away the lonliness, and sense of family...

i dunno, i could see it both ways. i could have a family, or be alone, depending on how the river falls..

[/ QUOTE ]

thanksgiving and Xmas just doesn't seem like it would be the same without kids. Though the state of the world etc freaks me out more than anything about having a son or daughter
Old 08-22-2007, 05:20 PM

If I had to do it over, I would have married a crazy chick when I was around 27 or so and gotten divorced a couple of years later, NO KIDS. Just so I could have that incredible sense of freedom that you see the newly divorced guys have. It's like they were a dog trapped in a kennel and now they're free to roam around and sniff ass.

Kids: to me the only reason to get married. I have a friend who is married, they both agreed they didn't want kids and absolutely love not having their schedule hijacked. Not sure unless it's for tax reasons or whatever why they bothered to get married then but whatever.

In a stretch of a couple of months last summer, four of my friends had their first kid. I didn't want kids before this and I sure as hell don't now. It's not that I don't like their kids but I get my necessary dose of poopy pants and screaming when I go to hang out with them. At their house, of course, because they can't go anywhere. It makes it crystal clear how people say that once you have kids you start hanging out with other parents at the expense of your non-kid-having relationships.

VR, the woman I am currently dating is 32. The sex thing is spot on, plus she just got out of a marriage where they had sex one time in three years?!?!? Sexual peak + severe deprivation = good for me. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-22-2007, 05:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If I had to do it over, I would have married a crazy chick when I was around 27 or so and gotten divorced a couple of years later, NO KIDS. Just so I could have that incredible sense of freedom that you see the newly divorced guys have. It's like they were a dog trapped in a kennel and now they're free to roam around and sniff ass.

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT

I got married at 28, divorced at 30, no kids. The first year after my divorce was an orgiastic delight.
Old 08-22-2007, 06:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]

EDIT2: my first point still stands I guess - he probably plays poker in the nude.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why would a single guy wear clothes indoors? All I need is underwear so the couch doesn't smell like ass.