Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-20-2007, 02:48 PM

Default Re: just watched braveheart again

[ QUOTE ]
Er... Broken Arrow is amazing, tug.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your opinions in this thread are horrible.
Old 08-20-2007, 02:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]

This movie is like Gladiator without black people. Very long, predictable, pulls all the right strings, guy dies a glorious death at the end while semi-pulling-ass along the way. EDIT: and the seeking revenge for the dead wife thing too.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good example. I think the defining moment in each film (at least the moment I like best in each ) is where the hero proclaims his vengeance on the antagonist, Mel killing the English lord who cut his wifes throat and becoming a wanted Scot, and Russell taking off his helmet and doing his "husband to a murdered wife, father to a murdered son.." bit.

I saw Braveheart on AMC a few weeks back. After each commercial break there was an interview with an English history professor who pretty much said everything in the movie was (surprise!) an embellishment of actual events. I think he said the only thing that was accurate was when the Scots wagged their johnsons at the English. Still, I wonder whether this guy was being truthful or simply bitter at his ancestors getting their asses handed to them by guys with blue paint on their faces.
Old 08-20-2007, 04:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Braveheart is one of those movies like Dances With Wolves that really isn't any good at all when you re-watch it, and you wonder why everyone drank the Kool-Aid back when it came out.

[/ QUOTE ]

so true, movie is like 3 hours too long, i'd have to be paid at least $50 to sit through it again

[/ QUOTE ]

I find it very rewatchable, and have rewatched it several times, even on commercial t.v., which I normally never watch movies on.

[/ QUOTE ]

meh, usually i think we agree on this sort of thing, but this movie is just far too long and boring and trite. I guess these movies don't appeal to me - I never bothered to see Gladiator, either.
Old 08-20-2007, 05:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]

meh, usually i think we agree on this sort of thing, but this movie is just far too long and boring and trite.

[/ QUOTE ]

Boring? WTF? Someone loses a limb every 5 minutes.

Also someone else mentioned it but Braveheart has probably my favorite scene of all time.

King: Who is this who speaks to me as if I need his advice?
Prince's Boyfriend: I'm your son's war advisor, Phillip. I'm quite skilled in the arts of war.
(Puts his arm around Phillip and walks toward the window)
King: Well tell me what you think we should do about the situation in......(Throws Phillip out the window)
Old 08-20-2007, 05:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Braveheart is one of those movies like Dances With Wolves that really isn't any good at all when you re-watch it

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

eh, I kind of agree re: Braveheart, it's pretty overrated imo. Dances With Wolves though, wtf? What isn't good about it? I guess I can understand if you aren't a Costner fan, but it's a really great movie.

[/ QUOTE ]
You have it backwards imo. Mel Gibson >>> Kevin Costner.

[/ QUOTE ]

Only if you need a soul-tortured hero that can deliver the same pained look over and over.
Old 08-20-2007, 05:58 PM

Cue a pic of Tom Cruise jumping up and down on Oprah's couch.
Old 08-20-2007, 09:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Also someone else mentioned it but Braveheart has probably my favorite scene of all time.

King: Who is this who speaks to me as if I need his advice?
Prince's Boyfriend: I'm your son's war advisor, Phillip. I'm quite skilled in the arts of war.
(Puts his arm around Phillip and walks toward the window)
King: Well tell me what you think we should do about the situation in......(Throws Phillip out the window)

[/ QUOTE ]
That scene is [censored] classic. I always lmao whenever I see this scene. I also think it's funny when the prince tries to stab his dad and the dad bitchslaps him back. Funny stuff.
Old 08-21-2007, 01:41 AM

Old 08-21-2007, 02:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

This movie is like Gladiator without black people. Very long, predictable, pulls all the right strings, guy dies a glorious death at the end while semi-pulling-ass along the way. EDIT: and the seeking revenge for the dead wife thing too.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good example. I think the defining moment in each film (at least the moment I like best in each ) is where the hero proclaims his vengeance on the antagonist, Mel killing the English lord who cut his wifes throat and becoming a wanted Scot, and Russell taking off his helmet and doing his "husband to a murdered wife, father to a murdered son.." bit.

I saw Braveheart on AMC a few weeks back. After each commercial break there was an interview with an English history professor who pretty much said everything in the movie was (surprise!) an embellishment of actual events. I think he said the only thing that was accurate was when the Scots wagged their johnsons at the English. Still, I wonder whether this guy was being truthful or simply bitter at his ancestors getting their asses handed to them by guys with blue paint on their faces.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, it's pretty much acknowledged by everyone that's a scholar of the period that Braveheart is very bad history.

Here's just one such rant. There are many, many more out there.

http://www.atfantasy.com/view/The%20...veheart%20Rant
Old 08-21-2007, 02:06 AM

I don't see why the two can't coexist. What, scholars can't be bitter or nationalistic? C'mon already.