Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-15-2007, 01:38 PM

Default Re: WSOP on ESPN thread (8/14) (5k PLH, 2k 7CS, 5k Headsup NL)

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

In Travis's case, there was the whole 'Ship it Holla' group of friends in the audience. They literally took up 1/3 of the total audience. They were screaming and cheering for him every time he called, raised, or folded. While a lot of people might find it obnoxious, it is exactly the sort of thing ESPN needs to focus on (in my opinion.)

[/ QUOTE ]

OMG!! QFMFT!! ESPN should totally focus more on obnoxious railbirds!! Give the public what they want!!! Show us more douchiness!

[/ QUOTE ]

This wasn't really the point, or the argument at all.

I just think it's a far better choice than another segment on Humberto's shark or Lisandro having not won a bracelet, and the things they decided to go with.
Old 08-15-2007, 01:52 PM

As I said in a comment on NVG, repetition is the key to maintaining casual audience interest. For better or for worse, they know the audience would rather say "Hey, it's the shark guy ! I [love][hate] him" than hear about Travis Rice. Unfortunate, but there you have it.
Old 08-15-2007, 01:56 PM

Humberto and his chark are pretty annoying but I don't really have a big problem with it. However, when somebody flips up KJ and the chark has AJ...just turn your [censored] cards over Humberto...no need to slow roll your 'best hand'. That I have a problem with.

Glad to see Lisandro get a bracelet. And he was sympathetic to Frangos which was nice...Nikki will have his day.
Old 08-15-2007, 01:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

In Travis's case, there was the whole 'Ship it Holla' group of friends in the audience. They literally took up 1/3 of the total audience. They were screaming and cheering for him every time he called, raised, or folded. While a lot of people might find it obnoxious, it is exactly the sort of thing ESPN needs to focus on (in my opinion.)

[/ QUOTE ]

OMG!! QFMFT!! ESPN should totally focus more on obnoxious railbirds!! Give the public what they want!!! Show us more douchiness!

[/ QUOTE ]

This wasn't really the point, or the argument at all.

I just think it's a far better choice than another segment on Humberto's shark or Lisandro having not won a bracelet, and the things they decided to go with.

[/ QUOTE ]

As either Norm or Lon pointed out, we might not like Humberto's antics, but he make final tables every year. And then there's Allen Cunningham and Jeff Lissandro, both pretty good at poker and well known to ESPN's audience. Obviously you think it's "far better" if they show you and your friends whooping it up in the audience, but you're pretty much alone in that preference. In order for Travis to get airtime at that FT, he really needed to win or take second.
Old 08-15-2007, 02:17 PM

For the record, I wasn't one of the 'railbirds' and am not just defending him because I wanted to be on TV.

To me, it just seems like an oversight for ESPN to completely [censored] someone who would have been a good story.
Old 08-15-2007, 04:43 PM

How do you say annoying, douche,attention-whoring in spanish?

HumbertUUGGGGGHHHHHH!
Old 08-15-2007, 04:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
For the record, I wasn't one of the 'railbirds' and am not just defending him because I wanted to be on TV.

To me, it just seems like an oversight for ESPN to completely [censored] someone who would have been a good story.

[/ QUOTE ]

oversight/production decision/whatever... you're almost alone in your dismay. get over it. most of us do not want to see obnoxious buddies in the stands.

I hate the Chark, but I actually did get a kick out of Humberto's brother laughing at his antics like he was a big idiot.

-Z
Old 08-15-2007, 05:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Is it just me or in that hand where Lisandro had QQ and Gavin Griffin with 64s, and the other guy having TT and going all in on the flop, did anyone else hear him say he had tens??

And couldn't Gavin just wear a pin? Isn't having pictures of his penis embarassing enough?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes I heard him loud and clear. But he was like 100' from the table and speaking softly to someone in the crowd. He was just miked up is why we heard him and noone else did.
Old 08-15-2007, 07:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I hate the Chark, but I actually did get a kick out of Humberto's brother laughing at his antics like he was a big idiot.

[/ QUOTE ]
I was more wondering when Jose Rosenkrantz became his brother.
Old 08-15-2007, 07:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I was more wondering when Jose Rosenkrantz became his brother.

[/ QUOTE ]
You read my mind.