Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-11-2007, 02:09 PM

Default Re: I Am Innocent

[ QUOTE ]
It was evidently a sundog or a dust cloud.

I read both volumes. There's no science in either.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's true about the science. The question is how much weight will we put on human testimonial, and what criteria ought to be met? Outside of math and science, we accept truth on the basis of authority and circumstantial evidence.
Old 08-12-2007, 12:57 PM

I am far too lazy to read your book, so could you just tell me some more about the women with 3rd degree burns? I mean, were there a lot of 3rd degree burn victims (or people with similarly fatal things wrong)??

How many healed when the doctors said they wouldn't?? How sure were the doctors??

Of the control subjects who were also watched, how many of them survived as well??? Assuming some did, would that just prove that miracles can happen to non-religious victims as well???

How do you know it's a miracle and not just a 1 in a thousand shot taking it's place in the many thousands of trials??? Or does God specifically deal with things with a probability less than 1% (or some other arbitrarily small number)???

Please to be sharing with me your miracle knowledge !!!
Old 08-13-2007, 02:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My point doesn't conflict your point. My point is that you shouldn't beleive extraordinary claims without a very good reason to do so, and the fact that something is written in a book isn't a good enough reason (or at least apply this standard of beleif or non-beleif to all books, instead of just picking 1 book which you beleive that categorically everything in it is true, regardless of the claim).

[/ QUOTE ]

You seem to have me confused with someone else.

1.) Bible is not one book, it's a collection of writings.

2.) No one believes everything in the Bible even if they believe they do - my Church teaches a lot of things about Scripture and one of those things, noted most recently by the man who is presently Pope, is that the first thirteen chapters of Genesis are mythological in nature. The rest comprises pretty much all forms of literature from song to play to history and more.

3.) Define "outrageous" events. Examples would be useful.
Old 08-13-2007, 02:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I am far too lazy to read your book,...

[/ QUOTE ]

You don't think I am going to do your work for you, do you? If you don't want to know, you don't. Fine with me. If you do, I gave you a source, a place to begin. There are others.

Or don't bother, whatever.