Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-08-2007, 05:17 PM

Default Re: Some Stuff About PUA (very long)

[ QUOTE ]
If PUA was, as one poster described it, merely about becoming a funny, unique, interesting person who commands attention, pushes boundaries and stands out, then I respectfully suggest that I should be teaching these courses.

[/ QUOTE ]
Qualification pls?
(I'm serious)
Old 08-08-2007, 05:23 PM

PUA stuff is not useless when it comes to building successful relationships. Not in the slightest...it shows what kind of bad PUA info is getting around out there

The value is this:

1. "I am a man. As a man and as me, I have valuable roles to play in keeping this relationship interesting and moving"

2. A general attitude of trained fearlessness, cause quitting when there's a possibility of success is much worse than continuing in the face of rejection.
Old 08-08-2007, 05:25 PM

Diablo,

I'm totally down with all the stuff you describe, but it leads to another (to me) complex problem that I've been toying with.

On the one hand, yes. Everything worth doing is worth doing well, and that includes social interaction, self-presentation, etc. etc. You can't baby yourself; you can't treat yourself like you were your grandmother. "Your clothes are fine, Sonny; they make fun of you because they're jealous." So it's important to be open to self-improvement and opportunities to get better. On the other hand, how do you, and why should you, take them from people who are dissing you? This may be purely childish / emotional thinking, but that seems almost like validating their disrespect. "You're right, I do suck." You can take that from your coach but not from some douche who's taunting you. Does that make any sense? Does it actually matter where the message comes from or is the adult thing to disregard that?

Sigh.

Just thought I'd get in on the fun.

[ QUOTE ]

Dude this is just a huge thoughtblob that I wanted to get out and have people start chopping it to pieces as quickly as possible. I freely and cheerfully admit this.

[/ QUOTE ]

OP, it would be admirable if you first grasp a basic concept of what this whole lifestyle is about, because it is obvious you have no clue. At all. All I read is assumptions and a very close-minded "I have life figured out" attitude.

While any half-decent PUA out there knows that one of the first steps in becoming better at life and with women is to drop everything you have learned about life up to the point that you start with learning how to become a better man.

You gravely underestimate the amount of effort, willpower and energy one has to invest in this process, not even mentioning the inner conflicts one has when you find out that the PUA's are right, and you have been wrong all of your life. As happened to me. It was no fun, yet it was good it happened.

Not every PUA is a misogynist (sp), just as not any animal with fur is a rabbit.
Old 08-08-2007, 05:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
PUA stuff is not useless when it comes to building successful relationships. Not in the slightest...it shows what kind of bad PUA info is getting around out there

The value is this:

1. "I am a man. As a man and as me, I have valuable roles to play in keeping this relationship interesting and moving"

2. A general attitude of trained fearlessness, cause quitting when there's a possibility of success is much worse than continuing in the face of rejection.

[/ QUOTE ]

There's much more than that. PUA can help you keep a girl interested, can help you deal with common problems that come up, can help you deal with keeping your independence and identity, can help you become a better lover in the bed, can help you curb jealousy issues, etc etc etc

There is TONS to take away from PUA material
Old 08-08-2007, 05:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If PUA was, as one poster described it, merely about becoming a funny, unique, interesting person who commands attention, pushes boundaries and stands out, then I respectfully suggest that I should be teaching these courses.

[/ QUOTE ]
Qualification pls?
(I'm serious)

[/ QUOTE ]

My qualifications are that, despite everything you have seen on this forum since about 2007 on, I have had a lot of social success for just the reasons described. I was one of the most popular kids in my high school, I had several college classes that basically ate out of my hand. I'm funny, unique, memorable, express myself well (contrary to what the above thoughtblob might lead you to believe), am not afraid to push people's boundaries, and have worked hard to instill in myself what Bison just called 'an attitude of trained fearlessness.' All my life complete strangers have randomly come up to me on campus, at parties, in various organizations, etc. to tell me that I don't know them but that they've heard of me and that they wanted to meet me because I rule. So forth.
Old 08-08-2007, 05:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Diablo,

I'm totally down with all the stuff you describe, but it leads to another (to me) complex problem that I've been toying with.

On the one hand, yes. Everything worth doing is worth doing well, and that includes social interaction, self-presentation, etc. etc. You can't baby yourself; you can't treat yourself like you were your grandmother. "Your clothes are fine, Sonny; they make fun of you because they're jealous." So it's important to be open to self-improvement and opportunities to get better. On the other hand, how do you, and why should you, take them from people who are dissing you? This may be purely childish / emotional thinking, but that seems almost like validating their disrespect. "You're right, I do suck." You can take that from your coach but not from some douche who's taunting you. Does that make any sense? Does it actually matter where the message comes from or is the adult thing to disregard that?

[/ QUOTE ]

If you suck, and someone tells you that you suck, that's not disrespect, that's telling the truth. If you want to get defensive and refuse to listen, that's fine, but stop complaining about how much your life sucks.
Old 08-08-2007, 05:35 PM

There is TONS to take away from PUA material

But then the category's so broad that I'm like "That's not what 95% of people mean when they say PUA". They mean, how can I go from 0-60 with some chick at a bar or party?
Old 08-08-2007, 05:37 PM

The weird thing about PUA for me is that I've always been my most successful with women when I really don't care one way or another, then they come to me. So trying really hard in order to be indifferent just seems counter-intuitive. But insofar as this is some kind of self-improvement strategy to feel better about yourself and be more confident, it doesn't sound that crazy.