Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-08-2007, 10:55 AM

Default Re: do you play with chat turned on?

I've never been tilted from chat, so I've never seen a reason to turn it off.

I usually just reply with a "hi" or "lol" regardless of what ppl yell at me. I love it when some TAG player calls me a fish and then I just say "hi!"
Old 08-08-2007, 01:26 PM
 is offline

[ QUOTE ]
yesterday I did an arrangement with a 81/12 that he should return to the tables again during daytime today, to play me. I said he had the right to try and win back some money I took off him, and he agreed.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol
Old 08-08-2007, 01:30 PM

i love chat
Old 08-08-2007, 01:37 PM

90% I use chat to berate idiots during a badrun. I recently got the old chat ban on both Stars and FT in the same week. So I am forced to experiment no chat for a month and so far tilt has been much more controllable while 6 tabling lol. Honestly it depends on the player and for someone like me its better not to have chat accessible unless talking to a 2p2er or freind.
Old 08-08-2007, 01:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
90% I use chat to berate idiots during a badrun. I recently got the old chat ban on both Stars and FT in the same week. So I am forced to experiment no chat for a month and so far tilt has been much more controllable while 6 tabling lol. Honestly it depends on the player and for someone like me its better not to have chat accessible unless talking to a 2p2er or freind.

[/ QUOTE ]

do me a favor and keep your no-chat stats.

i was serious when i said that i wanted to do some comparisons between the two. i think it would be really intersting. if we had 12-15 people willing to reverse their chat setting for 10k hands, the margin of error might not be completely ridiculous.
Old 08-08-2007, 02:06 PM

I used to tilt a lot in chat, so I got in the habit of turning it off. After realizing how much free information I was losing, I turned it back on and resolved to behave.

I think really it becomes a matter of self-control. If you find yourself reaching to type in chat, it might be time to close your windows.

When I see folks berating other players, I note that they probably can tilt easily and watch when they are in hands and take beats.

Another example would be when a fish calls a raise with 84s and flop comes A84 and our tilty player gets all the dough in with AK. Then he proceeds to berate our fish about calling raises with his junk. I may come into chat and ask, "What's wrong with 84? That's my fav hand."

Fish feels better about his play and tilter tilts more. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

IMO, though, turning off chat is turning off information. It is amazing how much people will (truthfully) tell each other in chat. They talk about tourneys they've played... if they're stuck , if they're up, if they are watching TV (and obv not focused), hands they like to play, what they think of other players, what they think of themselves, etc.
Old 08-08-2007, 03:06 PM

The most I ever say in chat is "thanks" or "nh" and this is always directed towards fish who are generally talkative. I think they play worse if they are having fun. I don't want them trying to play seriously (not because I can't still crush them, but not as much I imagine).

Occasionally I'll defend a fish from a table captain type who is tapping the glass. I think this keeps the fish around longer if they feel validated, and it also may have the side-effect of pissing off the captain to the point he opens up his range or starts tilting.

How +EV or -EV is watching chat? I dunno, probably slightly +EV unless you are sacrificing other sources of input to keep up. This also depends on your ability to refrain from berating others I think, or making berating a +EV move. People berate fish too often, I think this hurts their bottom line. A better strategy I believe is to berate good players and tell fish how well they are doing. Detach the emotion, especially when you get sucked out on.
Old 08-08-2007, 03:10 PM

"How +EV or -EV is watching chat? I dunno, probably slightly +EV unless you are sacrificing other sources of input to keep up."

well, that's the thing. if you got time to chat, couldn't you add anotehr table?