Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Golf
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-11-2007, 11:54 PM

Default Re: Who\'s idea was it to hold a major in August in Oklahoma???

[ QUOTE ]
Daly is in his 40's and bad overweight...
I'd bet money Boo had a 6 pack with his dinner last night...
Darren Clarke is 40ish and overweight...(66)

I'm not disagreeing that fitter players have an advantage, just that it isn't usually a deciding factor.
All of these guys have played tons of rounds in extreme heat.
They can handle it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess ntnBO didn't read your post. He uses you for support in saying that it isn't a factor, yet you don't disagree that fitter players have an advantage. I certainly didn't say it was the deciding factor, but I believe some players will wear down over the week more than others.
Old 08-12-2007, 12:33 AM

Many PGA Tour players don't look "fit" in a traditional sense, but all are in great shape for golf (or they wouldn't keep their card). Even though John Daly (for example) is extremely overweight with a terrible diet, I guarantee he is stronger, more flexible, and able to handle walking in pants in hot weather better than almost any other 300 pounder. He is in "golf shape", obviously nothing like Tiger or other players, but he is fit enough to handle the physical challenges of the Tour. Hot and humid days may take more of a toll on a guy like him than a guy like Tiger, but as a previous poster pointed out, it is not THE deciding factor.
Old 08-12-2007, 01:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I guess ntnBO didn't read your post. He uses you for support in saying that it isn't a factor, yet you don't disagree that fitter players have an advantage. I certainly didn't say it was the deciding factor, but I believe some players will wear down over the week more than others.

[/ QUOTE ]
Oh for the love of Pete. Fitter players have an advantage EVERY DAMN WEEK! What makes THIS week any different? Oh my gosh, it's 100 degrees, let's postpone the tournament! Less fit or more fit players are not going to wear down any differently this week than any other week on tour. Some of you just don't get it and I'm sick of trying to patiently explain it.

BigSoonerIgnard, in your college career was there ONE TOURNAMENT where heat was a factor in how you competed on the course? Has there been one quote this week where a player said the heat affected his play?

BO
Old 08-12-2007, 09:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Oh for the love of Pete. Fitter players have an advantage EVERY DAMN WEEK! What makes THIS week any different? Oh my gosh, it's 100 degrees, let's postpone the tournament! Less fit or more fit players are not going to wear down any differently this week than any other week on tour. Some of you just don't get it and I'm sick of trying to patiently explain it.

BigSoonerIgnard, in your college career was there ONE TOURNAMENT where heat was a factor in how you competed on the course?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, no, because college golf isn't played in July and August. Duh.

[ QUOTE ]
Has there been one quote this week where a player said the heat affected his play?
BO

[/ QUOTE ]

No, but I haven't seen any quotes about chokin either, but I bet it has/will happen. PGA player hesitate to show any kind of weakness, as most professionals do.

Good points by you, both of them. Admit it, it's idiotic to say that the heat will not affect anyone at all.

Btw,if you don't consider the heat a factor, then why were so few practice rounds played this week, especially Wednesday? If it's a non-factor, wouldn't you think the pros would want to get as much practice in as possible?
Old 08-12-2007, 01:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
LOL. That's a good point. I do remember 36-hole a day qualifiers amongst teammates in August. Where did you play?

[ QUOTE ]

Btw,if you don't consider the heat a factor, then why were so few practice rounds played this week, especially Wednesday? If it's a non-factor, wouldn't you think the pros would want to get as much practice in as possible?

[/ QUOTE ]
There has certainly been less practice this week, but again, it doesn't affect what happens on the course. It's not going to decide who wins the tournament.

BO
Old 08-12-2007, 04:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
LOL. That's a good point. I do remember 36-hole a day qualifiers amongst teammates in August. Where did you play?

[/ QUOTE ]

I only played NAIA golf for two years, then transferred to a Div 1 school. My roommates were on the team but didn't play much before September (and I didn't play because I was working 45 hours/week).

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
There has certainly been less practice this week, but again, it doesn't affect what happens on the course. It's not going to decide who wins the tournament.
BO

[/ QUOTE ]

We don't think it's going to decide it because Tiger is fit and it won't affect him, but I'm not confident it didn't affect others. The heat may not mean much when you're striping it, but when you're struggling with your game, it wears on you. It isn't THE factor, but it is A factor.
Old 08-12-2007, 07:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Did anybody quit today? Did anybody blame their poor play on the heat? Yeah, I'm real ludicrous.

BO

[/ QUOTE ]

Sergio did.

rimshot!

I dont understand why you are making out PGA players to be gods, heat affects everyone, its not like they are immune to it, no one is saying that players are going to drop dead on the course, but Id think that suggesting that after 18 holes, the heat hasn't caused some of these players to not be able to swing at their full max, have a little more fatigue than usual etc is simply ridiculous
Old 08-12-2007, 07:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I dont understand why you are making out PGA players to be gods, heat affects everyone, its not like they are immune to it, no one is saying that players are going to drop dead on the course, but Id think that suggesting that after 18 holes, the heat hasn't caused some of these players to not be able to swing at their full max, have a little more fatigue than usual etc is simply ridiculous

[/ QUOTE ]
And I don't understand why the few here that have actually been in the arena all say that the heat is simply a non-issue on the course. Yet those who have never teed it up in a pro event keep arguing with us and saying that our statements are ridiculous and such.

But obviously all you that have never been there know better. Since I simply want to be just like everybody else on here, I am now off to tell Stephen Hawking his cosmic theories are bunk.

BO
Old 08-12-2007, 07:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
And I don't understand why the few here that have actually been in the arena all say that the heat is simply a non-issue on the course. Yet those who have never teed it up in a pro event keep arguing with us and saying that our statements are ridiculous and such.

But obviously all you that have never been there know better. Since I simply want to be just like everybody else on here, I am now off to tell Stephen Hawking his cosmic theories are bunk.

BO

[/ QUOTE ]

This is biology, not anything more than that.
Old 08-12-2007, 07:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

BO

[/ QUOTE ]

Tiger just said in his presser that of course the heat mattered and of course his fitness was a "huge edge". I would think that ends the discussion. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]