Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-04-2007, 07:34 PM

Default Re: How Bout Enumerating The Flawed Hands In Colin\'s Book

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If he's getting the right answer with the wrong reasoning that's worse imo.

[/ QUOTE ]
Absolutely, and it's not even close.

David hasn't said exactly why he wants this. It seems like a bizarre request if it's solely for the purpose of improving the book for a 2nd edition.

I second Suzzer's suggestion. I'd love to see the questionable hands posted as threads. Colin's undoubtedly a very good player, so to be able to follow a debate on his reasoning between some great players would be invaluable.

[/ QUOTE ]

There is plenty of doubt about this.

[/ QUOTE ]
Nonsense. I didn't say great. I didn't say world class. I said very good. Some of the best (great/world class) players on this forum have commented intelligently on his posts and the book and I'm not hearing them say anything different.
Old 08-04-2007, 08:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
For now, I just want to see a list from several good players and then cull that down to those where almost all agree the answer is wrong. (I'd expect that to be five or fewere.) Discussion of individual problems are for other threads. This thread is soley to develop that list.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah slim, he wants to hear from good players
Old 08-04-2007, 08:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
It would be nice to see the actual hands, for those of us who don't have the book.

[/ QUOTE ]

If the copyright owner gives us permission... David?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that's pretty much what he did. Just post the damn things already.
Old 08-04-2007, 10:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
It would be nice to see the actual hands, for those of us who don't have the book.

[/ QUOTE ]

If the copyright owner gives us permission... David?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that's pretty much what he did. Just post the damn things already.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm pretty sure he said he just wants a list, I'm assuming a list of hand numbers. This thread is to develop that list. Discussion of individual hands is for other threads. IIRC, posting an entire hand exactly out of a 2+2 wasn't usually kosher, and since they're STT hands, all of the information (stack sizes especially) most be included to analyze the hand. If David or Mason wants to start individual hand threads or explicitly tell me I can, great. Otherwise, I guess we're SOL until the book is more widely distributed.

I've also done a lot of analysis on the hands that I'm not posting because I'm trying to get David to take me out to dinner before I put out for him. Seriously though, it's the kind of stuff I'm happy to provide if I think anyone cares or people pay for it, but I'm not just going to give it away to look cool.
Old 08-04-2007, 10:49 PM

How about making some small but irrelevant changes and noting that is is based on hand x-y from the book?

Not asking you personally to do a shedload of work for nowt Slim - it's pure selfishness - I'd just love to see these trickier hands debated in full to help me improve my thinking and get an insight into the difference between goodness and greatness.
Old 08-04-2007, 10:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

David hasn't said exactly why he wants this. It seems like a bizarre request if it's solely for the purpose of improving the book for a 2nd edition.

I second Suzzer's suggestion. I'd love to see the questionable hands posted as threads. Colin's undoubtedly a very good player, so to be able to follow a debate on his reasoning between some great players would be invaluable.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Nonsense. I didn't say great. I didn't say world class. I said very good. Some of the best (great/world class) players on this forum have commented intelligently on his posts and the book and I'm not hearing them say anything different.

[/ QUOTE ]

Circular definition, dude. You are saying he's very good because he's very good.

Basically, in STTs, you either make substantial money over 10,000+ at mid-stakes or higher, or you don't, and if you don't, you're not "very good" in my mind.

Show me where he's done that, and maybe you have a case. Certainly Slim's review of his book leaves plenty of room for doubt that Colin is "very good" by my definition, Noodleman's definition, and I'm guessing many other people's definition.
Old 08-04-2007, 10:57 PM

This hand is based on Hand 2-4.
Old 08-04-2007, 11:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I second Suzzer's suggestion. I'd love to see the questionable hands posted as threads. Colin's undoubtedly a very good player, <u>so to be able to follow a debate on his reasoning between some great players</u> would be invaluable.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Circular definition, dude. You are saying he's very good because he's very good.

Basically, in STTs, you either make substantial money over 10,000+ at mid-stakes or higher, or you don't, and if you don't, you're not "very good" in my mind.

Show me where he's done that, and maybe you have a case. Certainly Slim's review of his book leaves plenty of room for doubt that Colin is "very good" by my definition, Noodleman's definition, and I'm guessing many other people's definition.

[/ QUOTE ]
I didn't offer a definition - circular or otherwise. I used the terms "very good" and "great" in the same sentence and foolishly expected people to notice, rather than see red because I didn't say that Colin was clearly the fishiest fish ever to sit at an STT. But it's not worth discussing - semantics is so [censored] boring.
Old 08-05-2007, 01:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
David,

I also don't understand why you and Colin actually think that everyone ran out and bought one of these books ASAP and then read the whole thing. It's been out what, a week? I doubt many of the best players are even going to buy it. Me, I haven't gotten my copy yet. =( But I missed the doorbell today when mailman came.

[/ QUOTE ]

I never thought most of you have already read it. My OP was directed only toward those who are reviewing it here. I didn't want to have to wade through each review to come up with the list I'm seeking.
Old 08-05-2007, 02:02 AM

I dont have the book and probably won't be buying it. I might skim through it at the bookstore though!