Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-04-2007, 08:54 PM

Default Re: Restuarants Requesting People Turn Off Their Cell Phones.

[ QUOTE ]
people who scream into their Nextel phones and leave the BEEP BEEP on in restuarants should be killed.

[/ QUOTE ]God so true
Old 08-04-2007, 08:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I worked in a groovy bar/restaurant back in the early ninties when having a mobile was a sign of wealth and prestigue. This one guy came into the bar and had lunch every day of the week. He would sit by himself and spend the whole time talking on his phone and doing deals. This went on for quite a while. We didn't say anything as he had a mobile phone and he had the money to actually use it.

That is until the day he's sitting there yakking away on his phone when suddenly his phone rings.

He never came back. It was worth all that time listening to his, "conversations".

[/ QUOTE ]A++
Old 08-05-2007, 10:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You're not that important that you need to leave it on while you are having dinner. What possible inconvenience would it cause you?

[/ QUOTE ]
This is really obvious. I might miss a call. This isn't the end of the world, but it is obviously an inconvenience. BTW If my phone vibrated I would have checked who called me decided if they were worth interrupting dinner. Excused myself went outside/to the bathroom/etc. and called them. I'm not going to pick up my phone with an obnoxious ring tone and yell about how boring my dinner is.
Old 08-05-2007, 11:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

There is no difference between a person talking on the phone and a person talking to someone at their table. Cell phone snobbery is the only reason the former bothers anyone.

[/ QUOTE ]
Sure there is a difference. The person talking to someone at their table is using a normal voice level.

[/ QUOTE ]

So are 90% of cell phone users. Loud retards are going to be loud retards with or without phones.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not really. A large percentage of the population can't hear their phones well / are talking to others that have background noise / don't have a good signal and talk much louder on their cells than they do in person.

[/ QUOTE ]

I almost never see anyone do that. Maybe you live in a town full of asshats?

[/ QUOTE ]

Leveling?

There are so many people out there who very obviously talk louder on their phones than they do to someone sitting across the table from them.
I can't imagine this is an isolated thing. This seems to be pretty consistent almost anywhere.
Old 08-05-2007, 12:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

There is no difference between a person talking on the phone and a person talking to someone at their table. Cell phone snobbery is the only reason the former bothers anyone.

[/ QUOTE ]
Sure there is a difference. The person talking to someone at their table is using a normal voice level.

[/ QUOTE ]

So are 90% of cell phone users. Loud retards are going to be loud retards with or without phones.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not really. A large percentage of the population can't hear their phones well / are talking to others that have background noise / don't have a good signal and talk much louder on their cells than they do in person.

[/ QUOTE ]

I almost never see anyone do that. Maybe you live in a town full of asshats?

[/ QUOTE ]

Leveling?

There are so many people out there who very obviously talk louder on their phones than they do to someone sitting across the table from them.
I can't imagine this is an isolated thing. This seems to be pretty consistent almost anywhere.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah Bob, Leaky Eye is FOS.

"According to the Synovate study, 72% of Americans view the worst cell phone habit as unnecessarily loud conversations in public places..."

.PDF Survey
Old 08-05-2007, 12:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
"According to the Synovate study, 72% of Americans view the worst cell phone habit as unnecessarily loud conversations in public places..."

[/ QUOTE ]

My wife does this and it drives me nuts. Only time I am ever actually embarrassed by her is when she's practically yelling into that damn bluetooth headset. And because she's not holding the phone to her ear, it somehow makes it worse, like she looks like she's just sitting there shouting for no reason.

[img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

On another note, I always read in thread like this about people bitching about cell phones in movie theaters. I have never, in my life, been in a movie theater when someone's cell phone went off. And I see movies fairly frequently. Is this a non-Southern thing or something? Who doesn't turn off or silence their phone when the (multiple) pre-movie reminders come on asking you to do so?

And to whoever said the real annoying thing about eating out is not cell phone usage (even though my wife talking loud embarrasses me, I never really notice anyone else doing it), but rather squalling brats and their idiot parents: Amen brother.
Old 08-05-2007, 01:56 PM

Boro,

Ive seen it a few times here in Manchester (England). Mostly its teenage kids. Whats even worse is when they pull the phone out and turn on the light to see if they have gotton a text/see what time it is or something. A noise is easy enough to ignore for the couple seconds you hear it, a light in a dark room not so much.
Old 08-05-2007, 02:23 PM

All,

I feel like cell phone etiquette is a pretty trendy issue for people to get their vaginas unnecessarily sandy about. I mean, aside from taking calls in church or a movie or class or whatever, or just braying obnoxiously in general, who gives a [censored]? You people talk like you see red when you spot somebody taking a call at Ruth's Chris. How can this offend you? I mean, what business is it of yours?
Old 08-05-2007, 02:53 PM

at The Country Club in Brookline, MA, cel phones aren't allowed to be used anywhere on club grounds. anywhere on the golf course, anywhere in the clubhouse/restuarants/bars, pool, tennis courts, etc. if you need to use it, you basically need to go to your car to use it.
Old 08-05-2007, 02:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How can this offend you? I mean, what business is it of yours?

[/ QUOTE ]

b/c we are sharing public space, and the other person is making it an uncomfortable place to be. that makes it my business.