Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-03-2007, 10:32 AM

Default Re: Northwest Airlines bones employees?

If CEOs aren't overpaid now they were terrifically underpaid for the entire rest of human history. The wage divide is increasing at a terrifying rate mostly due to cronyism and lack of accountability(along with a credulous and accepting public). This is not a matter for debate, people who disagree with me are either ignorant or in on it.
Old 08-03-2007, 10:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
People who say the CEO (and CEOs in general) is overpaid are dumb. You think it is easy to pull a massive, bloated company in a changing industry that people love to hate on out of bankruptcy?

[/ QUOTE ]

I seem to recall reading that in other countries, CEOs tend to make much less and that it is really only in the US that they get these seemingly absurd bonuses. Any truth to that?
Old 08-03-2007, 10:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
People who say the CEO (and CEOs in general) is overpaid are dumb. You think it is easy to pull a massive, bloated company in a changing industry that people love to hate on out of bankruptcy?

[/ QUOTE ]

I seem to recall reading that in other countries, CEOs tend to make much less and that it is really only in the US that they get these seemingly absurd bonuses. Any truth to that?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. A CEO in the US makes much more than a CEO in Cuba, China, Korea, Vietnam, etc.
Old 08-03-2007, 11:11 AM

I knew that would be the first response; I meant to include "relative to company size."
Old 08-03-2007, 11:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. A CEO in the US makes much more than a CEO in Cuba, China, Korea, Vietnam, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]
Don't forget Japan. But nice try you douche

http://www.businessweek.com/careers/...010419_812.htm

Let's not forget their European counterparts.
http://www.gsb.stanford.edu/facsemin...ay_9_23_05.pdf
Old 08-03-2007, 11:37 AM

I don't think general CEO compensation is all that relevant to this case. Sure his bonus is bigger than it would be if US companies didn't pay so much for their CEOs.

Also, I don't think Buffett minds a CEO being paid a lot, as long as that pay is tied to real gains in long term value.
Old 08-03-2007, 06:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Uh, thats business no?

[/ QUOTE ]

It is business, but should it be? Should a company who asked all of it's employees take a huge pay cut then turn around and give huge paydays to overpaid CEO's? Obviously not. It just fly's in the face human decency and our corrupt government is in no place to do anything about it. I like money as much as the next guy but there is only so far I am willing to stretch my own personal morals to obtain said money. I could not take that money and live with myself. God I'm such a [censored] hippie. Can you tell I went to University of Oregon in Eugene and now live in Portland? I do drive a gas guzzling SUV so my hippieness only goes so far I guess.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is just retarded. The CEO is paid by the board. The board represents the owners. The owners are probably very happy he pulled them out of bankruptcy by controlling costs, and happy to give him a decent bonus. Also, often in these cases he has negotiated this up front with the board. Hit these targets, get this bonus.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bingo Bango. The owners elect the Board and CEO. You don't own it, you get no vote. Standard.

If you don't like it, let me sell your house and keep 50% of the proceeds...what? I don't own it so I can't tell you what to do with your assets? Huh.

Anyone who has at-will employment [as opposed to a union contract] anyway never, ever has a reason to complain. You can quit and they can fire you. Simple.
Old 08-03-2007, 07:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
WAA WAA WAA OVERPAID CEOS WAA WAA WAA

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course, they never define 'overpaid,' just that it must mean 'more than me' waa waa no wai!

[/ QUOTE ]

I will define overpaid as anything over 5,000,000.00. It is a completely arbitrary number I just pulled out of my ass but it is more than any person needs to live their entire lifetime.
Old 08-03-2007, 07:14 PM

If you add 10 million in value should your salary still be limited to 5?
Old 08-03-2007, 07:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you add 10 million in value should your salary still be limited to 5?

[/ QUOTE ]

If you add ten million in value by lying to your employees, reneging "contracts" and the like, you should be dragged into the street and shot.