Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-31-2007, 07:00 PM

Default Baseball: rest of the season analysis post-trades

Now that the non-waivers deadline has passed (barring late news). I think it's safe to say the Braves improved far more than any other team. Seems likely they will make the playoffs and possibly pass the Mets.

I think the Brewers and Cubs is a near toss up, with the loser very unlikely to be the wild card.

NL West is hardest to call, and picking one of the 3 (4?) teams to win is pretty futile. I give the edge to the Dodgers tho. I may be biased tho, because I perceive them to be the best of the West in terms of likelihood to succeed in the playoffs.

Yanks will have a very hard time catching the Red Sox, but have a great chance to win the wild card, tho it would not be a surprise if they didn't, as Detroit/Cleveland are v. good, and the Mariners have some kind of chance (not sure how, but they keep winning at a solid clip).

I give Detroit the edge over Cleveland, but the loser def. has a strong chance at the WC.

Angels will stay ahead of the Mariners. I give Seattle about a 15% chance of winning the wild card.

So:

NL East: Braves (nothing wrong with a little homering)
NL Central: Cubs
NL West: Dodgers
WC: Mets

AL East: Red Sox
AL Central: Detroit
AL West: Angels
WC: Indians

Yanks are mostly likely out of teams not mentioned to make it, followed by the Padres, then the Mariners, Brewers, D'backs, Phils, Rockies, Twins, Cardinals. I don't think anyone else has a chance. The last three names are already pretty generous.