Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-31-2007, 10:00 PM

Default Re: WSOP on ESPN thread (7/31) (5k PLO w/rebuys)

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I don't understand why no one raises preflop deep in these PLO tournaments. It's not like anyone ever reraises preflop without aces anyway.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, it's just awful play. Limping the button 3 handed is just never ever ever never a good play. It's literally playing like a $1 blind PLO table online. Everyone plays so nitty/passive preflop you could be doing a lot of stealing & repping aces. It's like they have no concept of tournament gap theory and just general shania/poker play. They also all seem to have no concept of Omaha hands, they raise aces, but don't raise double suited 4-in-a-rows.

[/ QUOTE ]

Antonius was doing the same thing at his final table, so when I saw it I was seriously considering the strategic advantages, but it just seems weak.
Old 07-31-2007, 10:05 PM

Glad I'm not the only one questioning all the limp wrist poker seen here. I've played a lot of PLO, but never a PLO tourney, and was wondering if there was some element of PLO tournies I wasn't understand, but I guess we were just seeing crap poker.
Old 07-31-2007, 10:51 PM

Well, limping like that is what you do in PLO when your opponents are complete droolers. It's pretty standard for the low limit nut-mining style of PLO. I'm guessing that's how the tourney players build their big stacks is just playing lots of limping nut-mining against the weak/retarded field that will stack off with top pair postflop.
Old 08-01-2007, 12:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
so awkward and embarrassing to see veteran pros who can't handle beats. Burt and Devilfish are actually the same in that way.

[/ QUOTE ]
Seriously. Total clowns. Also, wearing a WSOP bracelet at the final table is akin to going to a Motley Crue concert. i.e. exceedingly lame.

[/ QUOTE ]

fyp
Old 08-01-2007, 12:14 AM

You're almost never going to see great poker at any FT, due to the short stacks. That's why I think more and more that ESPN takes the right approach by focusing more on the personalities.
Old 08-01-2007, 12:20 AM

Anybody know when this will be repeated?
Old 08-01-2007, 12:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Anybody know when this will be repeated?

[/ QUOTE ]

save ur time
Old 08-01-2007, 01:19 AM

as someone who knows next to nothing about omaha, i found the coverage surprisingly entertaining.

i didn't find devilfish that annoying when i played with him, more entertaining really, but i could tell if you got on his bad side he would be a real d#ck.
Old 08-01-2007, 03:31 AM

Btw I think this is the 73rd time in a row that the person at a FT I least wanted to win has done just that. My services start at $10k to root against any of you who make a final table.
Old 08-01-2007, 08:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You're almost never going to see great poker at any FT, due to the short stacks. That's why I think more and more that ESPN takes the right approach by focusing more on the personalities.

[/ QUOTE ]

You can play great poker while shortstacked. Watching friends of mine on tv play amazingly with less than 20 bb's is just as fun as watching them play 100 bb's deep and make great calls. It's hilarious seeing tv announcers never get anything right when calling hands.

As for the limping thing, yeah it's good in cash games but it's better for tournaments to build the pot huge so people make bigger mistakes and then just fold postflop if you flop nothing. Not to mention at the final table they were playing shorthanded, so why not raise and then contbet and take it down 80%+ of the time?