rub on tan 31 17.71%
oversized fake diamonds 24 13.71%
head band 30 17.14%
i just stuck my dick in an electrical outlet hair style 42 24.00%
other 18 10.29%
Voters: 175. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-27-2007, 04:06 PM

Default Re: Dice

Does he still have the show on Sirius? How is the pay for that?

Were you involved with the Artie Lange problem?
Old 07-27-2007, 04:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Blarg lives in 1996 lol.

[/ QUOTE ]

Memory is a curse.
Old 07-27-2007, 04:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
LFS - There are a lot of intelligent and creative Dice fans in OOT. If you start a "Brainstorm Ideas To Resurrect Dice's Career" thread in OOT, I'm pretty sure you would get a bunch of interesting suggestions.

[/ QUOTE ]
My Life on the "F-list?"
Old 07-27-2007, 04:46 PM

Rent a house in Vegas or LA, and dump Dice and like 10-12 awkward twenty somethings in there. Like "Beauty and the Geek", but with Dice in the mix to provide advice on picking up chicks to the dorky kids, and for hitting on the chicks. Comedy ensues when Dice realizes nobody under 30 knows who the eff he is. Call it "Dice Rules".
Old 07-27-2007, 05:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Rent a house in Vegas or LA, and dump Dice and like 10-12 awkward twenty somethings in there. Like "Beauty and the Geek", but with Dice in the mix to provide advice on picking up chicks to the dorky kids, and for hitting on the chicks. Comedy ensues when Dice realizes nobody under 30 knows who the eff he is. Call it "Dice Rules".

[/ QUOTE ]

i can play the socially awkward nerd from a rural small town who doesn't know the first thing about city living.

bonus: over half the books i own are about chess, another third are about poker. if only i played magic the gathering i would have the nerdy-gamer persona locked down. also, 2 shots of hard alcohol and i am smashed which should provide for good tv.
Old 07-27-2007, 05:24 PM

too many fractions
Old 07-27-2007, 05:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
He was hilarious back in the day and stirred up a lot of hate, which is often itself an indicator of something good. It was especially good then, when media was stuck in an insipid PC quagmire.

Agreed that some of the people taking him literally was very dumb. Unfortunately, the climate of PC was so strong back then and he picked up so much hate that it all but crushed his career. More unfortunately, he thought he found a way to get out of it by rolling over and saying he was really a sweet fellow, so he could do a sitcom showing him as a sweeter fellow. When he did that, he lost his base and so didn't really have much left.

[/ QUOTE ]

surely you don't think that Dice's career would've been long-lasting without the media backlash, right? He was a gimmick and everything he did that wasn't standup misfired horribly.

[/ QUOTE ]

Considering how huge this guy really was, he was given very few chances to do anything outside stand-up. And even his stand-up career went lights out very quickly. Back in his day the venues he was at were being bombed by letters saying he shouldn't be allowed to play there, etc. It was pretty fierce; the closest parallel I can think of was Milos Forman's movie The People vs. Larry Flynt, which was an excellent movie that was absolutely pounded on by feminists and PC fellow travelers not only because it didn't villify Hustler founder Larry Flynt, but because it even portrayed him as human at all. Forman was so shocked he said he might have mistaken what America was all about.

Clay got similar reactions, and I'm sure it hurt his career.

[/ QUOTE ]

except that Dice Clay did experience somewhat of a revival in the late 90s, but not really because he's out of his mind (as LFS nicely details).

To me it sounds like you're trying to make a point about censorship and American's prudishness rather than admit that while Dice Clay had some very funny moments, he was no great shakes as a comedian. When he did manage to play Madison Square Garden again around 2000 or 2001, he did a twenty minute bit about midgets.

His movie bombed horribly - had his movie been successful, he would've been unstoppable. Plus, about censorship - the sheer foulness of Dice's act was what got him popular in the first place.
Old 07-27-2007, 06:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
He was hilarious back in the day and stirred up a lot of hate, which is often itself an indicator of something good. It was especially good then, when media was stuck in an insipid PC quagmire.

Agreed that some of the people taking him literally was very dumb. Unfortunately, the climate of PC was so strong back then and he picked up so much hate that it all but crushed his career. More unfortunately, he thought he found a way to get out of it by rolling over and saying he was really a sweet fellow, so he could do a sitcom showing him as a sweeter fellow. When he did that, he lost his base and so didn't really have much left.

[/ QUOTE ]

surely you don't think that Dice's career would've been long-lasting without the media backlash, right? He was a gimmick and everything he did that wasn't standup misfired horribly.

[/ QUOTE ]

Considering how huge this guy really was, he was given very few chances to do anything outside stand-up. And even his stand-up career went lights out very quickly. Back in his day the venues he was at were being bombed by letters saying he shouldn't be allowed to play there, etc. It was pretty fierce; the closest parallel I can think of was Milos Forman's movie The People vs. Larry Flynt, which was an excellent movie that was absolutely pounded on by feminists and PC fellow travelers not only because it didn't villify Hustler founder Larry Flynt, but because it even portrayed him as human at all. Forman was so shocked he said he might have mistaken what America was all about.

Clay got similar reactions, and I'm sure it hurt his career.

[/ QUOTE ]

except that Dice Clay did experience somewhat of a revival in the late 90s, but not really because he's out of his mind (as LFS nicely details).

[/ QUOTE ]

Where's the "except" part there?

[ QUOTE ]
To me it sounds like you're trying to make a point about censorship and American's prudishness rather than admit that while Dice Clay had some very funny moments, he was no great shakes as a comedian.

[/ QUOTE ]

You'd better start coming up with more than gainsaying and really bad psychology "insight" if you want to make a point.

[ QUOTE ]
When he did manage to play Madison Square Garden again around 2000 or 2001, he did a twenty minute bit about midgets.

His movie bombed horribly - had his movie been successful, he would've been unstoppable.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe. Shame he was only given one real chance, and it was in such a third rate vehicle. Plenty of people with far less talent and following have gotten more than a single bite at the apple.

[ QUOTE ]
Plus, about censorship - the sheer foulness of Dice's act was what got him popular in the first place.

[/ QUOTE ]

Plenty of people are and were foul-mouthed. Probably the majority in lots of neighborhoods. They didn't fill stadiums though.

The tidal wave of attacks against Clay were not because he wasn't funny.
Old 07-27-2007, 08:16 PM

LFS,

Dice Bigalow: Vampire Gigolo. Let's do lunch!
Old 07-28-2007, 06:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I specialize in representing older celebrities that I get a huge kick out of but nobody wants to hire: Dice, Corey Feldman, and Tommy Chong for instance.

[/ QUOTE ]
You just became my newest hero.