Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-25-2007, 10:09 PM

Default Moving to Las Vegas....

So I am going to vegas in 5 weeks for the first time since I have turned 21. I was there once when I was 15 for a bowling tournament, but what fun is that?! lol I live about an hour and a half from AC here in Jersey and I was seriously thinking about becoming a dealer here but lately I have been reading the threads where guys have been out of school for months and still havent landed a job. I really only still live in Jersey because my mom is here and my brother and sister are still somewhat on the younger side and I would like to be here for them as long as possible since my dad is not around.

A little background for you, I am 22, I have been dealing poker since I was 17 in underground games all over NJ (lucky to have never been in the box when some were busted). I am just pretty much fed up with the underground scene around here because everytime the doorbell rings you have to look over your shoulder to make sure you arent in trouble, not like the way it used to be. I love poker, from stud to razz, i know all the games, and I just love to be around a game.

I know I have seen some threads around here about some people going out to vegas with no prior experience and landing jobs with very little or no trouble in the smaller rooms and then eventually moving up to the bigger rooms. I was hoping that maybe some of you guys/gals that live out in vegas would be able to give me some advice on what areas to look in or around when I am out there as far as places to live would go. I am looking for a good neighborhood within I would say a half hour driving distance of Vegas and anywhere in the 600-1000$ range. I know it seems quite high but I am used to paying 900$ a month for a hole in the wall apartment here in NJ so I think I can handle that amount in Vegas.

I was also hoping that maybe some of you guys/gals that live in Vegas would be willing to give me some advice on how you landed jobs out there when you got there. I know I am probably going to get flamed since there have been 20 threads in the last week about how I should call every room and find out how to get hired etc etc. But it cant hurt to ask someone who already works in a room how they went about getting a job.

Thanks in advance guys.