Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-27-2007, 12:36 PM

Default Re: WPT World Poker Challenge thread

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
This self-proclaimed "best player from Mexico" is terrible, he doesn't win this does he?

[/ QUOTE ]

Lol...damn, now I'm really insecure about my ability as a poker player. I mean, when Nam, Jc, Wasika, Sebok and a bunch of other feared circuit pro's said I was sick I thought I was probably pretty good...but now that tpir and dima2000 say I suck, I don't know anymore, I guess I do suck. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Gotta love 2+2 for that non-stop analysis of uninformed HH's. I'm not a fan of people that get offended when their play gets critiqued, and I'm not offended. I just get annoyed by the standard online know it-alls that love to analyze hands with like 25% of the actual information at hand.

That said, I admitted about 500 times before the episode aired that I played bad. I was drunk, nervous about the TV and I was getting played back at EVERY hand I played (like 4 weren't shown). Not to mention I was playing possibly the top two most consistant tourney players of the past 5 years (they would have owned either of you way before you could make the final 3 [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img])... Once I saw the episode though I didn't feel bad at all about my play because David had two pair or better almost every time against me. I don't think I ever had top pair, and I only had 1 pair preflop (folded around) and no hands above A8 I think, I had QK about 3 times and bricked every flop/got shoved on pre, the one time I did hit a pair it was on the river once the turn paired pham's kicker.

The only hand I think I actually made a decent mistake in was that 76 hand..I don't know if you noticed but I went from 1.5 mil after the 92 hand back down to a bit over 600k, I was frustrated FOR SURE and felt I was getting owned. I don't think I can ever check fold there, jc is betting at least 90% of the time when he's checked to on that flop imo, he could have any 2. The big shove was a combo of me missreading my stack (thought I had a bit over 500k behind before the hand, I had just lost a pot so I didn't count, that was a pretty bad mistake) and the fear of being outplayed again if I just call. Jc loves firing two barrels if you check twice so I thought there was no way giving him a free card would benefit me when I was oop. I thought about making it like 165 or so but I didn't want to get shipped on by 910 and have to make a bad fold with huge odds, also I thought a big bet might get him to lay down a weak 8 or better 7 because he knows I'll do that with bottom 2 or 910 (flipping) or A8, it actually took him like 3 mins to call...all in all I think my biggest mistake was that I had a pretty huge physical tell that I've been working on after a legit pro told me about it a month ago. Live and learn I guess.

Anyway, I just felt like explaining a bit. Good luck in the daily $150's.

[/ QUOTE ]

JC,

I bassically respected everything you said in this post except for your last sentence, which proves to me that your ego is going to get in the way of your game at one point or another. Good luck with that - it's by far more of a beast than a few 2+2 lurkers.
Old 07-27-2007, 03:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not a fan of people that get offended when their play gets critiqued, and I'm not offended.

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Uhm, sure.

Anyway, this is a TV forum, what's on TV is all we can go by here. What do you want us to discuss here, how good the lighting was? You were outplayed pretty badly in hands shown on TV, and got to 2nd place only with the help of suckouts. Whether you post in this thread or not doesn't change what's shown on TV.
Old 07-27-2007, 03:30 PM

I think based on the limited # of hands and the fact that JC sucked out a few times it's easy to see why people gave JC some crap. But there are many people who have either played with JC or have semi followed his success to know he's not a flash in the pan.

I can also see how the "best Mexican" bit rubbed some the worng way. As soon as I heard it I knew he was only saying that there aren't a lot of Mexican pro players. He was jokingly giving himself a backwards compliment, errr something.

He's always come across pretty cool to me and I wish him success down the road.

But I'm still going to mug him again the next time he comes to New Orleans.
Old 07-27-2007, 05:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]

JC,

I bassically respected everything you said in this post except for your last sentence, which proves to me that your ego is going to get in the way of your game at one point or another. Good luck with that - it's by far more of a beast than a few 2+2 lurkers.

[/ QUOTE ]

Lol, I'm by far one of the most ego-less players out there, just watch/listen to most of my interviews and you'll realize that. But I guess that comment did come across a bit cocky, and that was my intention for sure. So since you don't know me you might think I'm some ego maniac and that's fine, I'm sure you'll change your mind once I get more exposure. Whatever your opinion may be, that sentence does not "prove" that my ego will get in the way of my game. Although I do hang out with Waco, so the ego thing might have rubbed off a bit [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img].

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'm not a fan of people that get offended when their play gets critiqued, and I'm not offended.

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Uhm, sure.

Anyway, this is a TV forum, what's on TV is all we can go by here. What do you want us to discuss here, how good the lighting was? You were outplayed pretty badly in hands shown on TV, and got to 2nd place only with the help of suckouts. Whether you post in this thread or not doesn't change what's shown on TV.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol I was not outplayed pretty badly, not even close....you're just probably a bad results oriented player, thats it.

I actually thought I got outplayed pretty badly before I saw their cards. Truth is I saw a ton of flops in position, floated a ton of flops with small draws planning on taking the pot away if I sensed weakness at any point, and they kept boating up on the turn. It's not hard to get "outplayed pretty badly" when your best flop was an oesd and the other guy hits 2 pr+ flushdraw. I sucked out once with a bad play, won a coinflip, and then sucked out once when I was already heads up in a hand that I don't think I could have played differently other than raising preflop and having him fold, considering it was the first HU hand I think I'm justified limping a few to try and feel things out at first.

Any other hand that I might have played terrible that you would like for me to discuss?
Old 07-27-2007, 05:24 PM

<3 JC.
Old 07-27-2007, 06:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you play a very aggressive style of poker and you're playing 6 handed you're going to have to call 4 bets with AQ.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know man. I think calling is a mistake, I think he rr'd Jc thinking that OOP he can't just smooth call and play it post flop vs someone like Tran, but Tran's raising range there is pretty huge so he'll easily pick up the pot right there plenty of times (since Tran hates getting his money in pre).

Once Tran moves in I think it's a fold, and so does Danny we've talked about it a few times and he said he just felt that jc was setting him up for a move like that since the previous day. He said his mistake was that he played the hand out in his head before he even put the rr in and that he should have taken his time and folded.
Old 07-27-2007, 06:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
<3 JC.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 07-27-2007, 09:34 PM

JC is the BJ Penn of Poker.

except he works a lot harder on his game
Old 07-27-2007, 11:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Lol, I'm by far one of the most ego-less players out there, just watch/listen to most of my interviews and you'll realize that. But I guess that comment did come across a bit cocky, and that was my intention for sure. So since you don't know me you might think I'm some ego maniac and that's fine, I'm sure you'll change your mind once I get more exposure. Whatever your opinion may be, that sentence does not "prove" that my ego will get in the way of my game. Although I do hang out with Waco, so the ego thing might have rubbed off a bit [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img].

[/ QUOTE ]
I'll premise this with the fact that I stayed with JC at last year's WSOP and we are pretty good friends, so obviously my opinion is a little colored.

That being said, JC's opinion of himself in this respect is pretty much dead on. Having been around many online pros and a few live pros a fair amount, there is something that you rarely see from these players. They often have respect for other people's games, but almost never sit at a table and think that they aren't the best player at the table, and they almost never will actively state this or avoid the good players at the table. JC is extremely honest when he has been in tough tables and situations that he feels like he has been outplayed or whatever, and he is also of the opinion (and I agree) that seeking out the best players at the table instead of avoiding them to a certain degree is the proper course of action. He had a long discussion about this with Gavin and Sebok on their radio show on PokerWire and neither one of them could understand or agree with him when he said something to the tune of "If Ivey or Antonious or Negreanu or whoever sits down at my table, I'm not going to play a ton of pots against them." For a kid to say things like that is quite impressive.