Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Business, Finance, and Investing
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-27-2007, 12:19 AM

Default Re: Resume tips for finance jobs

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
What from my post makes you think I'm not? That was just related to the job search process. I love my job. Today is like a beehive with the markets doing what they're doing.

[/ QUOTE ]

crushinfelt.. you have time to post on 2+2 during work?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah. On days like today where the market goes pretty batshit crazy, I'm very busy until about noon (ITD) when a lot of banking/settlement is done.

I was actually in the office at about 6am (have to do the early shift for a week once every 6 weeks or so but get to leave at 3:30 on those days). By about 7am it was clear that today was going to be a bloodbath, so I researched which firms were likely to get hit hardest. From then on I put out an advisory about every hour with updates on the firms with the most exposure to the big movements. Also, during this time, the big bosses (i.e. two, three and four tiers above me) were stopping by my desk wanting to know all sorts of differnt things (one would want to know what smaller firms are getting hit hardest, another one would want to know what some of the other firms largest pays were, another one wanted an estimate for what the overall collection for margin would be like compared to the big dip in February, and so on), all the while put out advisories about which prices were near/at/over their limits.

Once ITD came around it the who/where/why/how much questions were pretty much answered and it was just a matter of monitoring the variation throughout the rest of the day. Then at the end of the day (some were made at ITD if we were quite concerned) calls have to be made to settlement banks and firms with large losses to make sure all is good.

But really its just the first half of the day that's pretty busy. After that I'm working on various projects for meetings the following week (have about 4 on my plate at the moment). But I'm damn good with time management and can bear down when I need to, so I have time to give in to me 2+2 addiction.
Old 07-27-2007, 12:29 AM

Question: When applying for summer internships, I've heard some people recommend that I call the company "to show that I'm interested". What sort of questions should I be asking in such a phone call? Who's doing the hiring? Job description? What else? I'm afraid it will just be like, Hi, I'm applying for __________, and uhhhh...pick me!
Old 07-27-2007, 10:10 AM

Given your situation, you should try to get any entry level job with a local bank or company and then try to get into a top B school for your MBA if your are still dreaming about big time finance.
Old 07-27-2007, 12:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Question: When applying for summer internships, I've heard some people recommend that I call the company "to show that I'm interested". What sort of questions should I be asking in such a phone call? Who's doing the hiring? Job description? What else? I'm afraid it will just be like, Hi, I'm applying for __________, and uhhhh...pick me!

[/ QUOTE ]

You don't really want to just flat out call the company, but calling the HR person who handles all the first round interviews, or calling someone who works there is usually pretty helpful. And by works there I meant like a first or second year analyst - easiest thing to do is contact career services at your school and see if they have any names/phone numbers of recent graduates.
Old 07-27-2007, 01:16 PM

Summer internship protocol

1. In January, determine if the company even offers such a program - most don't.

2. Send resume with cover letter to HR person or in small firms the CEO/President.

3. Follow-up with a call 1 week after sending

4. Use alumni connections if possible - they work very well in these situations.

5. If you get an offer and take it - don't slack off - most summer interships are actually recruiting techiniques. Most full-time employers will ask if you received an offer from any internship and it looks very bad if you don't.