Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-23-2007, 04:41 PM

Default Re: Live Updates of the Laak vs Computer Match HERE

Computer won the 1st 125 hands. +300

Session One
$10/$20 Limit Texas Hold'em Seat 1 Seat 2

Private Room Polaris ????? Phil Laak ?????

Public Room Ali Eslami -$75 Polaris +$75
After 125 hands.
Old 07-23-2007, 04:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The Duplicate matches should give the humans the edge, unless the computer is programmed remember and strategically use the hand histories.

I imagine the human players will easily remember when big draws hit/miss etc on certain boards..

[/ QUOTE ]

if you read the format you would see that each human only plays one side and has no awareness of the other match's results. obviously the computer is not made aware of the duplicate nature of the hands as well. so basically there is no such issue.
Old 07-23-2007, 04:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
furthermore, NL HU poker has been SOLVED for ~12 BB or less.

[/ QUOTE ]

What is this about?

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly what it sounds like. there is a strategy that no matter what strategy the opponent employs, the best the opponent can hope for is to be break even long term. the nash equilibrium strategy was found.
Old 07-23-2007, 04:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The Duplicate matches should give the humans the edge, unless the computer is programmed remember and strategically use the hand histories.

I imagine the human players will easily remember when big draws hit/miss etc on certain boards..

[/ QUOTE ]LOL illertateaments
Old 07-23-2007, 05:29 PM

Maybe a better match would be boob Bush vs Phil
Old 07-23-2007, 05:29 PM

I think it's cool that they've put this together, and I'm even more excited now that I've seen that it's a duplicate match. I'm looking forward to finding out on Wednesday morning how this all wrapped up, but I think the computer will acquit itself quite nicely.
Old 07-23-2007, 05:50 PM

FYI ALL,

5 years ago, Phil Laak and the Computer had a similiar match. Phil won the match, but estimated he had less than a 5% edge.

Proccessing power and memory limitations played a big part in the ability of the AI to run. Now 5 years both the technology and research have advanced tremendously.

I believe the computer has the slight edge this time around, and will win the tournament. In another 5 years the computer will be mostly unbeatable with maybe a dozen players or so standing a chance.
Old 07-23-2007, 05:53 PM

lol limit poker.
Old 07-23-2007, 05:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
FYI ALL,

5 years ago, Phil Laak and the Computer had a similiar match. Phil won the match, but estimated he had less than a 5% edge.

Proccessing power and memory limitations played a big part in the ability of the AI to run. Now 5 years both the technology and research have advanced tremendously.

I believe the computer has the slight edge this time around, and will win the tournament. In another 5 years the computer will be mostly unbeatable with maybe a dozen players or so standing a chance.

[/ QUOTE ]

i think power is much less of an issue in this case, than it is for say Chess. this is because Chess has been researched seriously by PHDs for years (like 40-50 years), whereas poker has gotten very little attention. i think most of the weaknesses of the program are almost certainly on the software side for now, and basically could be overcome very easily just by pouring more man hours and research dollars into the project.

there are literally thousands of chess engines that have been built from the ground up. i doubt there are even a a couple dozen functional poker engines that are beyond their initial development phases.

nothing should actually be that hard to calculate when it comes to poker anyway. you don't need to search 100 million board positions. you could probably run a million pokerstove type calculations in a second or two. i think coming up with an algorithm to determine your opponents range given his play is the most difficult problem. that isn't specifically difficult from the number crunching side but rather from algorithm development side. once you have a range, figuring out your equity and what your action should be based on that equity shouldn't be that hard.
Old 07-23-2007, 05:54 PM

wake me up when they make a deepstacked nl cash bot