Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-12-2007, 01:34 AM

Default Re: Mild chemical weapons OK for home defense?

[ QUOTE ]
OK, sorry wasn't able to post right away. CA is the worst state for intruder laws. You can be successfully sued if someone is breaking in and falls through your skylight and is injured.

[/ QUOTE ]

I really don't want to hop on Westlaw and look this up, but I am going to call bs unless you show me a statute that would support this, or a case, or anything.

[ QUOTE ]
Can only use force necessary to immediately protect life and physical attack, must retreat if possible, as soon as threat is negated must stop force, must use minimal force needed to repell threat, generally bad for home owners.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is at least mostly accurate, except for the retreat requirement- usually not required when you are in your own home. CA may be an exception...but again, some authority would be nice.

The rest of the post...meh, not worth addressing, not that important to this post.

Anyway, OP, if your dad is really concerned, have him call an attorney in CA. It will be worth the 15 minute call. I don't want to get into more because, well, giving legal advice (or getting legal advice) on a poker forum is not a good idea, so I will refrain, and I suggest you do the same.
Old 07-12-2007, 01:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
A bottle of ammonia isn't going to do anything. The spray is weak and not under pressure like pepper spray, I highly doubt it would reach more than 3-4 lateral feet before being waist high he would have to be within arms reach of the attacker to have any chance of hitting him, by then it would be too late.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, except that I've ACTUALLY SEEN the spray shoot 15-20 feet and still be pretty strong.

Also remember that if the attacker even gets a wiff of concentrated ammonia it will totally mess him up.
Old 07-12-2007, 01:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
why on earth would you raise the level of the attack with a spray. you only force him to escalate the violence and you cant win with a spray bottle. if you fear for your life use proper defense. if not just yell and hope he leaves. but dont raise the level to violence when armed with a bottle of window cleaner. you might feel the pane.

[/ QUOTE ]

An intruder enters your home and seems to be coming your way. You yell and he comes at you. You don't own a gun. A bat or knife might be pretty useless against a bigger, stronger person. Concentrated ammonia or pepper spray evens the odds. How can this be a bad idea?

If you don't own a gun a chemical weapon is the only way to guarantee you have a fighting chance.
Old 07-12-2007, 01:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If you don't own a gun a chemical weapon is the only way to guarantee you have a fighting chance.

[/ QUOTE ]

Other ways in which you can guarantee you have a fighting chance against a larger, stronger opponent:

-Learn a martial art
-Call the cops
-Install a home security system
-Keep an unloaded pump shotgun
-Get a sword
-Be a ninja
Old 07-12-2007, 01:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

+

+

Now you have real chemical weapons

[/ QUOTE ]

Now we're talking.

[/ QUOTE ]

Same concept, but the spray bottle is less bulky and you don't have to pump it. However, the extra flow may more than compensate.

My dad thought of a super soaker but felt it was too big.
Old 07-12-2007, 01:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Does anyone have a lot of experience with ammonia? I have a minimal experience, but I have never experienced autoblindness/difficulty breathing, even if it got poured out next to me without mask/goggles or hood. This seems more likely to really piss of the bad guy than defeat him. Sorta like this:

http://www.time.com/time/todayspick/...100521,00.html

[/ QUOTE ]

Ammonia can hit you HARD if undiluted.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was thinking undiluted... sorry for any confusion.
Old 07-12-2007, 01:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Other ways in which you can guarantee you have a fighting chance against a larger, stronger opponent:

-Learn a martial art
-Call the cops
-Install a home security system
-Keep an unloaded pump shotgun
-Get a sword
-Be a ninja

[/ QUOTE ]

Using a spray bottle and some ammonia is cheaper, faster, can cover a large area, does not require you to get in close quarters and does not require you to swear an oath of allegiance to an evil emporer.
Old 07-12-2007, 02:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
A bottle of ammonia isn't going to do anything. The spray is weak and not under pressure like pepper spray, I highly doubt it would reach more than 3-4 lateral feet before being waist high he would have to be within arms reach of the attacker to have any chance of hitting him, by then it would be too late.

[/ QUOTE ]

Even if he gets to within 5 feet before being hit, once he is hit he will be hit HARD and will probably run in the other direction.
Old 07-12-2007, 02:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I love this thread title

[/ QUOTE ]

Sarcasm or no?
Old 07-12-2007, 02:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
OK, sorry wasn't able to post right away. CA is the worst state for intruder laws. You can be successfully sued if someone is breaking in and falls through your skylight and is injured.

[/ QUOTE ]

I really don't want to hop on Westlaw and look this up, but I am going to call bs unless you show me a statute that would support this, or a case, or anything.

[/ QUOTE ]

Word. Cite case plz.