Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-09-2007, 12:09 PM

Default Re: Barry: most poker books are written by losers

I would think if Barry had said, "no good poker books except for the ones published by 2+2," it would have engendered some ill will. I've always thought he had a lot of good feelings toward 2+2, despite Joe's recent bashings. lol
Old 07-09-2007, 12:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
....despite Joe's recent bashings.

[/ QUOTE ]

Link/source?
Old 07-09-2007, 04:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
they might well hold information back, but i can't see someone like hellmuth with his giant ego knowingly publish something that's wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

Have you read his limit poker section from Play Poker Like the Pros? It's a bunch of crap. I don't claim to know the explanation for it, but there has to be some explanation. I would surmise that his ego is OK with it because he knows that anyone who knows anything about limit Holdem would know he wasn't being serious. Or something.

Anyone?
Old 07-09-2007, 04:23 PM

Hellmuth isn't didactic, he's meant to be held in awe. I see no reason why he'd take pride in the accuracy of his books.
Old 07-09-2007, 06:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
they might well hold information back, but i can't see someone like hellmuth with his giant ego knowingly publish something that's wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

Have you read his limit poker section from Play Poker Like the Pros? It's a bunch of crap. I don't claim to know the explanation for it, but there has to be some explanation. I would surmise that his ego is OK with it because he knows that anyone who knows anything about limit Holdem would know he wasn't being serious. Or something.

Anyone?

[/ QUOTE ]
I'd guess he came up with this pathetic system specifically for the book, and specifically for the newbs (like me) who would read it but could never hope to understand the depths of his strategic poker wisdom. Since it's his creation and he is so great, maybe he never thought beyond that and so he actually believes it's good advice.

That's a little mean, but I spent my money on it so I feel somewhat entitled. Hellmuth seems like an ok guy away from poker, especially when he talks about his family, but I'm wary of any advice he gives.
Old 07-09-2007, 06:13 PM

I figured Hellmuth was writing for people who hadn't played Hold'em before so his advice was just meant to keep the reader playing tight so he would last in the game a while.
Old 07-09-2007, 07:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I figured Hellmuth was writing for people who hadn't played Hold'em before so his advice was just meant to keep the reader playing tight so he would last in the game a while.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's not consistent with his claims in the book.

For the hell of it, I once did a Turbo Texas Hold'em simulation using Helmuth's beginner starting hand recommendations against an "average" player lineup. It broke even, but I used the best player profile available and he played the cards with his default strategy, not Hellmuth's.
Old 07-09-2007, 07:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Anyone?

[/ QUOTE ]

thats actually how he plays limit hold'em tournaments, it started to make sense once I sweated his table (Brad L was in the same event) and saw how ridiculously weak tight some of his post-flop play was.
Old 07-10-2007, 03:47 PM

I’ve watched my friends write their books. I’ve talked to them. I find many reasons why they write. I’ve found a few reasons why I write. Most reasons are for profit, providing a more or less steady stream of income, something not always available to the poker hustler.

It’s coincidental. I was asked at a meeting of authors and players not long ago why I wrote a book and I didn’t have a ready answer. That fact bothered me and so I welcome your posit, “Most poker books are written by losers”.

It may be true that some poker writers can’t play. No. Wait. I know it’s true that some poker writers can’t play; I’ve been in too many games with them. Of course, some of those writers are writing commentary on tournaments or famous player profiles and that kind of thing, but other losing players are writers of “how to” books. However, it may not mean they don’t know how to play; it may simply mean they can’t apply what they know.

I liken some of them to the fat man who couldn’t play basketball but turns into one helluva coach. Some of these knowledgeable, amiable, yet losing players can’t play because they go on tilt, or they’re too scared of their bankrolls, or perhaps they naturally get so wrapped up in the mathematics they can’t concentrate on the people factors. And, in many instances, they know their weaknesses better than anyone and they, therefore, are fully qualified to write about them.

Other poker players are successful and have missed the steady income feature necessary for providing for their families and generally making a living. They’ve always looked for the outside income that can produce that steady stream. If they are very successful – and prudent - they may have been able to make lucrative investments, but many are still looking for a poker source to ease them through the valleys of bankroll vicissitudes. Those who have missed the investments can find a poker book can be the cure.

Then we see the poker player who wants to contribute something to society. He or she knows that just winning money in contests of skill is not fulfilling in itself. (Some of you young people with have trouble with that statement.) He wants to contribute something to society, even if it’s in the form of entertainment. Some of our tournament heroes have done that and still freely give their time to autograph signing and the like. At last they are giving something back and satisfying themselves and the public. A book authored by them, even if it’s ghost written, can help with that fulfillment.

Still others of age may want to tell people how it’s done before they die.

Then there is the author who has played and won in cash games all his life, has shunned the spotlight, and wants at last to be recognized. He appears in the movie “Lucky You” and starts writing books for posterity and to be remembered. His family is proud of him and, like the author in a paragraph above, feels there is a “quid quo pro” instead of just winning money.

But we shouldn’t automatically suppose that a poker player has resorted to a book for income because he has no knowledge of poker, even if in certain instances it may be true.
Old 07-10-2007, 04:32 PM

own it, read it, nice book sir...fwiw, clearly not serious strat, but over all decent read for degens