Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > High Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-06-2007, 06:12 PM

Default Re: $10/20 top pair + flush draw deep

[ QUOTE ]
I don't normally play this high (5/10nl is my personal high game), but I'd like to take a shot at this.
Preflop, the BB called 60 to get into a pot of 170. This is almost 3:1. You are on the button, maybe you are even stealing the blinds and he feels like defending. He may or may not have anything.

The flop isn't anything too scary; a couple of draws are out. We nail this thing to the wall. Personally, I'm not terribly afraid to get it in here. We're flipping coins with 2pair and a dog to a set, but we are a favorite over EVERYTHING else. The stacks are deep and there's no need to go broke with a marginal hand, but we don't have a marginal hand.

He's a "tricky TAG," and he could be making a play with air. He could have an overpair or something fun like JT, etc. He knows we could have air. Hmmmmm.

I make it about 1400 and probably call a shove. I don't feel good about calling for it all though.
Thoughts on my analysis?

[/ QUOTE ]

One reason to just call would be that he might push with the hands that have us beat or 50/50 and fold bluffs (obv) and sucky draws. On the other hand - a blank turn and a big bet is obviously scary.
Old 07-06-2007, 06:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
MDMA,

i also thought it was 100bb, however there's still more merit than you think to 3betting/calling a push. for one, straight-flush draws are almost always pushing--and a lot of players are pushing nut flush draws too. secondly, your implied odds on turning a spade arent very good--villain is not paying off 200bb if the flush hits unless he has a smaller flush (which is less likely than the nutflush given that most people checkraise nutflush draws and just call small, bare flushdraws). also, you have decent fold equity against AJ/QQ/KK. plus, 3betting flops is fun and makes your sets win more monies.

[/ QUOTE ]

Excellent post and excellent point, sir. Just as with Stinger, though, I would like to hear what you balance this with.
Old 07-06-2007, 06:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What's wrong with 3-betting and calling a push (which is probably coming less than 20% of the time anyways)?.. no one likes to gamble on this forum anymore?

DeMaci

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 07-06-2007, 07:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
MDMA,

i also thought it was 100bb, however there's still more merit than you think to 3betting/calling a push. for one, straight-flush draws are almost always pushing--and a lot of players are pushing nut flush draws too. secondly, your implied odds on turning a spade arent very good--villain is not paying off 200bb if the flush hits unless he has a smaller flush (which is less likely than the nutflush given that most people checkraise nutflush draws and just call small, bare flushdraws). also, you have decent fold equity against AJ/QQ/KK. plus, 3betting flops is fun and makes your sets win more monies.

[/ QUOTE ]
I think the bolded section is huge, as well as the extra meta stuff.
Old 07-07-2007, 08:27 PM

How about the turn play? Am i superweak if I fold? If I call, do I have to call all in on the river?

Flop: 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] ($170, 2 players)
BB checks, <font color="#cc0000">HERO bets $145</font>, <font color="#cc0000">BB raises to $417</font>, HERO calls.

Turn: 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] ($1004, 2 players)
<font color="#cc0000">BB bets $840</font>, HERO ???
Old 07-07-2007, 09:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
For you sir, I recommend reading comprehension 101 (and I'm not even a native speaker) if you think that your "lol" in regards to my comment could EVER be interpreted as you agreeing 100% with my comment given the nature of how this board generally responds to things. It is clearly a condescending comment and it's just silly of you to suggest otherwise.

[/ QUOTE ]

I speak the "native" tongue, and actually I read catcher as "laughing out loud" to your over-the-top, "i can't be wrong" statement - and NOT as "i'm laughing out loud b/c you are wrong". Your secondary post "its silly of you to suggest otherwise" further illustrates your over-the-top "i am never wrong" mentality.

On behalf of Catcher - L O L