Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-01-2007, 09:25 PM

Default Re: Why aren\'t there more private roads?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
But if town C needs a road to town D, but needs to cut across my property

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah this is a realistic scenario.

[/ QUOTE ]

Happens all the time. You also aren't thinking big enough. Think farms that exist between two cities. Towns need connecting, cuts right across some guy's farm.
Old 07-01-2007, 09:48 PM

Guy on the farm says no, towns connect to other roads that go around the farm. Problem solved.
Old 07-01-2007, 10:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Happens all the time. You also aren't thinking big enough. Think farms that exist between two cities. Towns need connecting, cuts right across some guy's farm.

[/ QUOTE ]
So...you're saying road construction companies don't know how to go around things?

The idea of it being impossible to connect towns with a road is ludacris. Two towns worth of people that want a road doesn't warrant enough capital to buy some strip of land that connects the two?
Old 07-01-2007, 10:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Guy on the farm says no, towns connect to other roads that go around the farm. Problem solved.

[/ QUOTE ]
Note: this is far, far better than the statist solution of "guy on farm says no, state that towns are in says 'lol, now you have two farms, thank us later' and builds the road against the farmer's will."
Old 07-01-2007, 10:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Imagine if I gave away hotdogs for free (but paid for them by taxing people). How would anyone compete with this?

[/ QUOTE ]
Make a better hotdog?

[/ QUOTE ]
Can you at least admit that the person that has to actually convince people to buy his product is at an unfair disadvantage?
Old 07-01-2007, 10:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't think the market would be constrained by the same lack of imagination as you are. Technology exists to pinpoint the location of my car within yards, transparently yet annonymously pay road-owners through encrypted cellular technology, identify competing routes, etc. All the pieces of the requisite technology already exists. I currently have every single one of them working in my car.

[/ QUOTE ]

You have to admit that this technology has existed for about 5 minutes. Before that, there was no practical solution to the problem you posed. And given that no practical solution existed, it's no surprise that a monopoly system developed.
Old 07-01-2007, 11:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Note: this is far, far better than the statist solution of "guy on farm says no, state that towns are in says 'lol, now you have two farms, thank us later' and builds the road against the farmer's will."

[/ QUOTE ]

Classic law problem. Farmer owns a piece of land with no connection to road. He makes a deal with adjacent land owner to cross his land, a right of way. Adjacent land owner then sells. New land owner now controls all land owner by farmer and cancels his right of way. He refuses to grant a new one for any price and demands farmer sell his land to him for $1. Farmer has no access to his land and no way to remove crops from his land. Must he capitulate to the new land owner?
Old 07-01-2007, 11:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Consider towns A and B, about 10 miles apart, with nothing much going on in the middle. Consider that you are the owner of the stretch of road connecting the two towns (and assume there is just the one road). Call it road X.

Assume also that you own some of the roads in towns A and B.

If a person comes to you, and says "Id like to build a road that competes with road X. I believe I can offer travellers a better travelling oppurtunity at a cheaper cost. However, I will need to connect in to your roads in towns A and B before I will be able to get business. I will need your permission."

Do you say yes, with the knowledge that all the newfounded road will do is detract business from you?

Now, this isnt really meant as an argument against private roads. More just, an argument for the need of some "no unreasonable refusals of connection" clause.

[/ QUOTE ]

There's a lot of question begging here. You've already presumed that a particular business model will be in use, and there's no reason to suspect that this model will be in widespread use.

Assume we live in a world where governments own all the parking lots. We wonder what free-market parking lots will look like. We complain about how much of a pain in the ass it will be to pay for parking 10 times when running a series of errands, because we assume that every government-owned parking lot will map isomorphicly to a privately-owned, for-profit, pay-per-use parking lot.

But instead, we see businesses building parking lots on their own property, allowing anyone to park there (for the most part), and not charging anything for the service.

But anyway, to your specifc case above. Yes, RoadCo might not let the new road connect to it's road. But many private property owners have connections to RoadCo's roads. Perhaps one of them would be interested in connecting to the new road as well.
Old 07-01-2007, 11:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Old 07-01-2007, 11:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Classic law problem. Farmer owns a piece of land with no connection to road. He makes a deal with adjacent land owner to cross his land, a right of way. Adjacent land owner then sells. New land owner now controls all land owner by farmer and cancels his right of way. He refuses to grant a new one for any price and demands farmer sell his land to him for $1. Farmer has no access to his land and no way to remove crops from his land. Must he capitulate to the new land owner?

[/ QUOTE ]