Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-12-2007, 12:42 AM

Default Re: Posting Other People\'s Pictures On 2p2 - How Terrible Is It?

Katy,

Haven't you encountered people at some point in your life who put others down as a means of bolstering their own social status? This is a classic social dynamic from elementary school onward. It dies out somewhat as people mature, but, well, some people don't mature as well.
Old 07-12-2007, 03:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It's really stupid for people to get upset about taking pictures from their Facebook page. For goodness sakes, if you don't like the picture, untag it and/or ask the person who took it to take it down. The fact that it got photoshopped is just a fact of life; it sounds like your "friends" are the type of people who cry when people tease them. They need to get lives.

[/ QUOTE ]
I think it's not the pictures so much as the story that goes with it. Posting some random holiday shots and posting "I loved this girl, she went to bed with my nasty friend, here are their pictures" is a bit different.

Plus, as someone who's very photogenic I assume you mind less than others about your picture being posted. Even so, I don't know about you but most girls would be hurt by being photoshopped with a member in their mouth (i.e. the excellent photoshop work of fongo in that thread. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] )
Old 07-12-2007, 03:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Katy,

Haven't you encountered people at some point in your life who put others down as a means of bolstering their own social status? This is a classic social dynamic from elementary school onward. It dies out somewhat as people mature, but, well, some people don't mature as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

In highly competitive social settings, it can be almost unbearably close to the norm.
Old 07-12-2007, 04:11 PM

Burdz - was that thread deleted? I provided some quality photoshopping contributions there, and would like to see my work saved for posterity.
Old 07-14-2007, 12:43 AM

I have pics of the parties involved, if anybody needs them for scientific purposes.
Old 07-14-2007, 04:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Finally, I don't understand all you guys and your obsession with pics. I'm the complete opposite. I only want an exchange of ideas or comedy or the occasional help-related thread. I hate all these pics of 2+2ers and their girlfriends/boyfriends, enemies, roommates. What is this, high school? Why the heck do we care what everyone looks like? I don't. I'd rather use my imagination. It's one of the things I dislike most about forums, the pictures of people.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think there are a couple of things at play here. For many of us, this isn't just a place full of random, faceless screen names. The poker community is a relatively small group centered around a few hotspots like Los Angeles, New York, Atlantic City, and the main one of course, Las Vegas. Even those who don't live in those areas will eventually end up visiting there at some point. This means that anyone who is at all serious about the game will have connections with many of these people in real life (as an aside, this is why it is silly for people to claim that you shouldn't take anything on here seriously since it's the internet). Therefore, it is natural for us to want to know as much as possible about these guys including what their lives are like, their personality, and what they look like, because surely you'd agree that you can learn a lot from a person's appearance. Luckily, the first two are often covered by their posting history, but we usually have to specifically request the last one.

As far as asking for pictures of girls, it is a much simpler reason, regardless of whether she is a poster, a celebrity, or some girl walking down the street. We just like looking at them!
Old 07-15-2007, 08:38 PM

[image]http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWv2juM01T0[/image]