Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Health and Fitness
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-31-2007, 11:39 PM

Default Re: SamG\'s Log

I will swear by FitDay. Takes a bit to get used to it.
Old 08-01-2007, 12:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
what website do you use for your food & exercise log? I'm using calorie-count.com but would love to find something better.

[/ QUOTE ]
thedailyplate.com, but fitday may be better.
Old 08-01-2007, 12:55 AM

7/31

Cardio: 35m exercise bike

Simpsons Movie: [censored] hilarious!

Old 08-01-2007, 01:48 AM

Finally got the videos. Beat me up about my form and try not to laugh [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Squat: http://my.videoegg.com/video/eqbQeL

Bench: http://my.videoegg.com/video/eqbQqX

Deadlift: http://my.videoegg.com/video/eqbQWV
Old 08-01-2007, 01:55 AM

Squat: I like the head shake at the camera.
Bench: Try a wider grip. It looks ultra narrow.
Deadlift: Flatten your back, drop your hips and drive more. It kinda looks like you're slowing the pace down intentionally. Almost every lift should be done as fast as you can.
Old 08-01-2007, 01:55 AM

I'm no expert but...

Squat, obviously you know that the last rep was bad but bending forward like that and lifting the weight up with your back I'm pretty sure is verrry dangerous. Make sure never to round your back.

Bench, seems good.

Deadlift, yikes. You are rounding your back like crazy. When I pick up the weight, it's like a semi-squat, making sure to keep the arch in my back. Also that weight is very light for you, my veins are bursting when I deadlift.
Old 08-01-2007, 02:36 AM

Squat: It's not a race man!!!! Jesus slowdown. Before each rep, take a deep breath and hold it. Look straight ahead and arch your back. Then stick your but out extending your hips to begin your descent. Go down under control! You failed your 3rd rep and on the first one it looked like you had the focus of me doing 300 air squats. Get the first couple steps down and see what happens.

The weight is super easy for you despite failing, you're just rushing like crazy and not focusing on your whole body stability. Squats are not a legs only movement.

Bench: WAYYYY too narrow. I'm 6' and put my ring fingers on the smooth marker in the knurling as my guide. Adjust accordingly for your height and go from there. Again, SLOW DOWN. Unless that weight is ridiculously easy for you, you should be taking a breath and resetting for every rep.

Deadlift: Holy lumbar rupture batman! Luckily you could probably pull that weight up with your teeth so you should be fine, but that is awwwwwwwwwful technique. If you're not using 45lb plates put the bar on blocks so it doesn't start off so low. When you get set look straight ahead and arch your back. Dip with your hips and drive up quickly, return the bar down keeping your core tight and your back flat. Go to anywhere at t-nation or crossfit for deadlift form advice.

Honestly it takes a lot of guts to post those videos man, but good luck you are going to see some huge improvements!
Old 08-01-2007, 04:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Dip with your hips and drive up quickly

[/ QUOTE ]

This is dip and rip. When I do a rep for Deadlift, I got through a process:

1) Lean over, I bend fully at the waist and grab the bar. I set the bar up a couple inches from my shins and roll it to the correct spot.
2) I look forward and gather my thoughts.
3) I bend my knees and flatten my back. I stay in this position for <1 second as I want to use as much of the SSC to help my lift as I can.
4) I focus on driving my feet down and pulling my shoulder up and back. I try to lean back to help get my torso upright. This would be the "rip" part.
Old 08-01-2007, 11:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Squat: It's not a race man!!!! Jesus slowdown. Before each rep, take a deep breath and hold it. Look straight ahead and arch your back. Then stick your but out extending your hips to begin your descent. Go down under control! You failed your 3rd rep and on the first one it looked like you had the focus of me doing 300 air squats. Get the first couple steps down and see what happens.

The weight is super easy for you despite failing, you're just rushing like crazy and not focusing on your whole body stability. Squats are not a legs only movement.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, obviously there were some serious problems there.

[ QUOTE ]
Bench: WAYYYY too narrow. I'm 6' and put my ring fingers on the smooth marker in the knurling as my guide. Adjust accordingly for your height and go from there.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm about the same height. I'll try gripping the bar at the same spot.

[ QUOTE ]
Deadlift: Holy lumbar rupture batman! Luckily you could probably pull that weight up with your teeth so you should be fine, but that is awwwwwwwwwful technique.

[/ QUOTE ]
I had no idea I was doing it this way until I saw the video, and it explains why my back was sore after doing these (which is also why I haven't attempted more weight). Again clearly my form is terrible.

[ QUOTE ]
Honestly it takes a lot of guts to post those videos man, but good luck you are going to see some huge improvements!

[/ QUOTE ]
Thanks man.
Old 08-01-2007, 11:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Deadlift: Flatten your back, drop your hips and drive more. It kinda looks like you're slowing the pace down intentionally. Almost every lift should be done as fast as you can.

[/ QUOTE ]
I was doing them slow because I was trying to focus on form (and obviously doing a miserable job of it). This is the lift I'm least sure of.

When you say almost every lift should be done fast, do you mean all exercises or only the deadlift? Because Smiley says I'm going way too fast on the others, so I'm a bit unclear on how fast or slow to take it.