Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-03-2007, 01:34 PM

Default Re: The final word on addictive gamblers and debt cases who are desperate.

One more thing since this whole thread is anti join the military.

Some things to consider.

1) Are you the same people to whine and cry the second you are robbed or something is stolen when someone steals from you to pay a gambling debt or problem.

2) While you people attack me you offer NO OTHER ALTERNAITIVES in this thread to someone who might be desperate or in need.

3) You say get help.... 1) Who's paying for it they are broke. 2) Posters here crying don't want to get a job 3) You would rather them kill someone else to get money then to enlist in the military.... your just being ignorant.

4) Please post some RATIONAL, POSSIBLE alternatives then what I have posted and we'll talk. Your troll attacks are not helping the people who truly need it and are desperate.

5) There are many jobs posted for civilians to go to Iraq and work as a contractor for such "criminal" companies like KBR... I don't like those companys as they steal from taxpayers BUT it offers the degenerate gambler a way out.

all you people do is whine about how your giving up and don't know what else to do so you post HELP HELP.

You get 3 troll replys and 100 replys get help.....

Whos' going to help them they are broke !!!!! Going to GA might help but it's not going to pay the bills.
Old 07-03-2007, 01:34 PM

Default Re: The final word on addictive gamblers and debt cases who are desper

I am not anti-military. I have members of my family serving in Iraq. The Op's statement about the psych resources available at present is not fully correct. The field services are generally decent, but not fully available everywhere, especially with the new stategy focusing on smaller neighborhood bases. The Vet Aff., and the DOD is completely overwhelmed by the amount of PTSD and tramuatic brain injury. At least 40% of Iraq and Afgan. vets suffer from PTSD, and while they have just started studies about it, at least 15%, probably more of Iraq vets suffer from TBI. While the PTSD is an overwhelming problem, the Vets Adm, is trying to handle it. The greatest problem is now that rotations are so overstressed many soldiers diagnossed with serious PTSD are still being ordered back to the front. The TBI, is completely beyond the Vet Adm., there are very few qualified doctors to treat this, and when patients go home to there is often no qualified Vet Ad. therapist to continue their treatment. The ticking time bomb is that many soldiers still serving have TBI, and do not know it and have never been screened. They are supposed to be coming up with a standard proceedure for this soon.

Saying you are safer here than in Iraq is just silly, and I personally thinks it degrades the dangerous mission they take on every day. It is very difficult to sign up for the Army and Marines and not rotate into Iraq or Afgan. It will be even more difficult in the Marines after next year when a new policy stating that every marine must serve at the front, regardless of specialty comes into effect. The mission they take on every day is nearly impossible, thanks to the lack of any semblance of compentency by the Iraqi goverment. In many cases, their mission is essentially to drive around until they get shot at or blow up. Our soldiers have performed heroically, and if there is failure to stabilize Iraq, it will not be their failure.
Old 07-03-2007, 10:17 PM

as much as it is enjoyable to disagree with the OP, and I do so quite often he makes a good point.

Ok granted if you join the army there is a good chance you go to Iraq, so don't join the army. Join the Airforce or the Navy.

There was one person who said drrrr don't let depressed people shoot others, well they probably won't be doing much fighting in the airforce or navy.
Old 07-04-2007, 02:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I am not anti-military. I have members of my family serving in Iraq. The Op's statement about the psych resources available at present is not fully correct. Is this first hand knowledge or related to you buy your ...family The field services are generally decent, but not fully available everywhere, especially with the new stategy focusing on smaller neighborhood bases. The Vet Aff., and the DOD is completely overwhelmed by the amount of PTSD and tramuatic brain injury. You don't get brain injury from gambling unless you DON'T Pay At least 40% of Iraq and Afgan. vets suffer from PTSD Source ???? , and while they have just started studies about it, at least 15%, probably more of Iraq vets suffer from TBI Source ???? . While the PTSD is an overwhelming problem, the Vets Adm, is trying to handle it. The greatest problem is now that rotations are so overstressed many soldiers diagnossed with serious PTSD are still being ordered back to the front. I agree with this 100 % The TBI, is completely beyond the Vet Adm., there are very few qualified doctors to treat this, and when patients go home to there is often no qualified Vet Ad. therapist to continue their treatment Source ?? . The ticking time bomb is that many soldiers still serving have TBI, SOURCE SOURCE SOURCE !!!!!!! Are you getting info from family or CNN and do not know it and have never been screened. They are supposed to be coming up with a standard proceedure for this soon.

Saying you are safer here than in Iraq is just silly I think you better relook your statement but once again I have the math to prove it. , and I personally thinks it degrades the dangerous mission they take on every day. I disagree Unlike you I'm in Iraq and I see what they do every day I'm more proud of them then you are. I can appreciate your a parent or family member who sticking up for little billy but your facts are extremley backwards. It is very difficult to sign up for the Army and Marines and not rotate into Iraq or Afgan. Source .... BUT i'll agree with that I've posted in this thread join the coast guard then. What are your alternatives if your son had a gambling problem would you just be happier if he shot you or himself over the money in your purse ???? It will be even more difficult in the Marines after next year when a new policy stating that every marine must serve at the front, regardless of specialty comes into effect. The mission they take on every day is nearly impossible, thanks to the lack of any semblance of compentency by the Iraqi goverment. Take this to the politics thread In many cases, their mission is essentially to drive around until they get shot at or blow up. Our soldiers have performed heroically, and if there is failure to stabilize Iraq, it will not be their failure.

[/ QUOTE ]

This was a really good post that died at the end from lack of facts and a bunch of T.V. nonsense.

Poster offers no alternatives like join the navy, airforce, coast guard, etc.

Poster obv has son or daughter in army and marines who signed up for infantry or only earned a score on the entrance exam that allowed for infantry. Otherwise a cushy job in a finance office somewhere could have been accepted.

If not for false facts and a bunch of other stuff this post had the potential to tell some people that if forced to join the military to get away from your gambling debt don't join the army or marines.
Old 07-04-2007, 06:26 AM

Look, if you are/were in the military you should know the statistics for those things yourself. However, I have included a couple of studies which you could easily have looked up yourself. I was slightly off in that I had not looked at the studies immediately before posting, the TBI numbers are 28%, and the number from the last study, (two years old) is 17%, so experts think the real number is about 30%, and the number at the end of the war, (as PTSD usually takes years to develop, and the greatly increased operational tempos with longer deployments will aggravate the problem), is estimated to be 30+%. However, another 20% of soldier have a more mild form of PTSD that is not as deblitating and severe. Please note the discussion of the problem with the lack of treatment, and problem in getting soldiers to get treatment for both problems in the Defense and Veterans Brain Injury Center Article and the NEJM study.

Although I bothered to get this together, I am not sure why the citiation requirement is one way, and yet you are entitled to make completely factually inacurate statements such as, "I would be safer in Iraq", with no proof. Your last post was quite something considering you had not only no only cited any citations, but had not cited any statitics for your arguements. And, I thought it would be obvious, but TBI has nothing to do with gambling, it has to do with the constant roadside bombs explosions suffered by the troops. I don't know if the comment was a joke in bad taste, or just another oblivious comment.

I am trying hard not to be offended on your comment on my relative's score, you are totally off the mark, as well as rude. Perhaps you might consider that not all people that choose the military as a career are actually cowards, quite the contrary. Fighting at the front, getting a combat badge, and commanding well under fire, this is actually the best way to achieve significant promotion. Most military members would not look well on someone who chooses intentionally to avoid combat. This country owes a huge debt to allow a small number of extraordinary men and women who to fight and die whenever the President deems it necessary.

However, I wonder with your attitude that you have not enlisted yourself? Since it is so safe over there and you will not doubt do so well on your exam that you can avoid all chance of combat while gambling up a storm and you seem to believe in the mission why not sign up? Oddly you seem to believe in the mission, but think it is easy and the soldiers are mostly stupid. You are way off.

http://www.tbi-interagency.org/pdf/dwarden.pdf
http://content.nejm.org/cgi/content/full/351/1/13
Old 07-04-2007, 07:56 AM

4 years times 150k soldiers that's 600k soldiers that have rotated in and out approx. roughly 3500 killed divide it.

Now go to death statistics for any major city in the U.S. divide that by the population of that city.

See what results you get.

I'm proud that your relative is over here maybe i've seen him.

I would be glad to debate this with you in the politics forum this is the psychology forum. And I'm trying to help degenerate gamblers a bit.

Just a quick question for the reports you are looking at.

Your saying that 30% of the soldiers in Iraq have Traumatic Brain Injury... 30% of the 150k soldiers that are deployed here yearly are involved in IED incidents.

That's 45k soldiers a year after 4 years that 180 thousand troops involved in an Incident. I doubt those #'s are accurate but I will agree with you. Even though statistics are problably beefed up for media purposes.

On a side note do you actually have any suggestions for hard case gamblers who might be in a lot of trouble ?????????? Or do you just wish to debate war politics. Because you can start a thread in politics if you wish ??
Old 07-04-2007, 08:28 AM

Let me clairify because I'm coming off as a bad guy in this thread.

When I get home from Iraq there is nothing I would like better to do is go to these military funeral and punch protesters holding signs saying "God kills soldiers" in the face.

And it means nothing to the brave soldiers who've lost their lives already.

All I'm trying to say in this thread is that the chance of death from suicide is near 100 % for the people in these posts who see no way out.

Whereas joining the military is a viably way out of their lifes problems.

Your comparing stories on the news to the big picture.

People who kill themselves are hurting their familys and themselves. People who steal to pay for gambling are hurting others and society.

This is a way out for them and again no one said join the army or the marines.
Old 07-04-2007, 09:47 AM

First of all, I am thoroughly opposed to having our troops in Iraq. However, I'm not willing to quote misinformation in order to support my point. Here's the appropriate slide from the first study you listed, PokeReader.

Note that the 28% TBI incidence is of patients who were evacuated to Walter Reed for battle injuries. Obviously there were more than 1400 troops in Iraq between 1/03 and 11/05...

Govman, risk of death is obviously much higher in Iraq than it is in the US for the same age group. Your stats are not correct because they only include a subpopulation (primarily 18-40 year olds) in Iraq, a subpopulation which has one of the lowest risks of death normally. Then you compare that to the risk of death for the entire population in the US. I think that's a peripheral point, but still something the anti-military haters are going to rail on.
Old 07-04-2007, 07:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I am glad to see such a bunch of cowardly, anti American, and home country haters play poker. Now when I rake a big pot or bust another player I will feel even better doing it, knowing most of them are left wing fools.

[/ QUOTE ]

Online poker is unamerican.
Old 07-04-2007, 07:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
4 years times 150k soldiers that's 600k soldiers that have rotated in and out approx. roughly 3500 killed divide it.

Now go to death statistics for any major city in the U.S. divide that by the population of that city.

See what results you get.

[/ QUOTE ]

Unless the comparison is made with a subset of people of the same age as those serving in the army with all those who wouldn't qualify to serve due to e.g. various illnesses etc. being removed, this comparison would be useless.