Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-25-2007, 04:05 AM

Default Re: Why are Las Vegas cabbies so weird about tips?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Um what the hell else is he supposed to ask?

[/ QUOTE ]

He's not supposed to ask anything. He's supposed to give you your change and wait and see what, if anything, you hand him back as a tip.

[/ QUOTE ]

Incorrect. He is supposed to expect a tip. That's the tacit agreement you participated in when you got in the taxi, even if you don't like it like that.

[/ QUOTE ]

So are waiters, but when did you go into a restaurant and pay in cash, only to have the waiter ask how much you want back?

[/ QUOTE ]

JESUS F'IN CHRIST HAVE YOU EVER EATEN IN A RESTAURANT?

In case you haven't, here's how it goes, standard-like: Waiter gives you check for $150, you put $200 (or whatever amount) in the folder. Waiter, without looking at the amt of the bill or what you left, will ALMOST ALWAYS ASK, "Can I bring you change for that or are you all set?"
Old 06-25-2007, 04:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

He's not supposed to ask anything. He's supposed to give you your change and wait and see what, if anything, you hand him back as a tip.

[/ QUOTE ]

Incorrect. He is supposed to expect a tip. That's the tacit agreement you participated in when you got in the taxi, even if you don't like it like that.

[/ QUOTE ]

So are waiters, but when did you go into a restaurant and pay in cash, only to have the waiter ask how much you want back?

[/ QUOTE ]

In case you haven't, here's how it goes, standard-like: Waiter gives you check for $150, you put $200 (or whatever amount) in the folder. Waiter, without looking at the amt of the bill or what you left, will ALMOST ALWAYS ASK, "Can I bring you change for that or are you all set?"

[/ QUOTE ]

at which point you must use the deathbed litmus test to see whether or not you are all set

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

In case you haven't here's how it goes, standard-like: Waiter gives you check for $150, you put $200 (or whatever amount) in the folder. Waiter, without looking at the amt of the bill or what you left, will ALMOST ALWAYS ASK, "Can I bring you change for that?"

[/ QUOTE ]

i don't like it when a waiter/waitress asks "do you need change?". i have no idea why, but i just don't. when i waited tables, i used to grab the money and say "i'll be right back with your change." anyone not wanting change would simply say something to the effect of "no, we're all set" and that would be the end of it.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
greater than 30% tip for a cab is kinda crazy imo

[/ QUOTE ]

I just don't see myself lying on my deathbed regretting the extra 5-10% I tipped Vegas cabbies.

[/ QUOTE ]

why not just walk through the streets tossing change around

[/ QUOTE ]

Whatever, I give liberally to homeless people, too, if I'm in the mood, and I'm not going to regret that on my deathbed, either. Not sure what you people are hoping to do with the money you make, but I'm hoping to spend or give away all mine before I die.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

In case you haven't here's how it goes, standard-like: Waiter gives you check for $150, you put $200 (or whatever amount) in the folder. Waiter, without looking at the amt of the bill or what you left, will ALMOST ALWAYS ASK, "Can I bring you change for that?"

[/ QUOTE ]

Then this must be an American thing, though I can say that I've never had that happen to me in Europe, nor do I ever recall it happening in over twenty visits to NYC.

Either way, it's presumptious and rude.
Old 06-25-2007, 04:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
greater than 30% tip for a cab is kinda crazy imo

[/ QUOTE ]

I just don't see myself lying on my deathbed regretting the extra 5-10% I tipped Vegas cabbies.

[/ QUOTE ]

How much do you tip in restaurants?

[/ QUOTE ]

The difference between cabs and restaurants is that the range of service experiences is much greater in restaurants than it is in cabs. A great/terrible server can make/ruin a meal, and you might be spending upwards of two hours in the establishment. The average cab ride is probably ten minutes and there's very little the cabbie can do to change the experience, unless he deliberately takes an inefficient route or bungles the directions, in which case he's lucky if he's getting any tip. I'm probably a 75th percentile tipper in restaurants and a 40th percentile tipper on cab fares.
Old 06-25-2007, 04:09 AM

shaniac you're wrong here, the standard is for the waiter to say "i'll be right back with some change"
Old 06-25-2007, 04:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i don't like it when a waiter/waitress asks "do you need change?". i have no idea why, but i just don't. when i waited tables, i used to grab the money and say "i'll be right back with your change." anyone not wanting change would simply say something to the effect of "no, we're all set" and that would be the end of it.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's actually a more delicate/classy way for the server to handle the process, I agree, but iI don't think the more-forward route is out-of-line in the restaurant business.
Old 06-25-2007, 04:12 AM

oh - btw - i was referring to the actual rate/amout i tip cabbies. the "how much change do you need" thing of course sucks. and pokerbobs way of handling that is much better.
Old 06-25-2007, 04:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
maybe if there's a girl in the back to give me a bj i will tip, that seems above and beyond reasonable service

[/ QUOTE ]

funny story about that...