Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-19-2007, 02:12 AM

Default Re: Chances of Death = X, Do You Save a Friend?

[ QUOTE ]

Stranger about to be hit by bus, I knock him out of the way.

[/ QUOTE ]

Que someone with .gif skills to add a bus about to run over the girl into noah's avatar.
Old 06-19-2007, 12:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]

People saying 15% for parents or less than 100% for wife/girlfriend, etc. are either not thinking about this or are strange in my book.

[/ QUOTE ]

My parents are like 70 and my family needs me a TON more than the larger family needs my parents. They would never want me to sacrifice my life for theirs.

Didn't include wife or daughter, I would take 100% for either of them.
Old 06-19-2007, 12:57 PM

If spontaneous situation like getting them loose on subway tracks..For most anyone I know close and not so close, my instincts would be to help them. And I'm fairly certain that I'd follow my instincts.

I can't determine percentages and whatnot, but it'd be higher than the cold bastards earlier in this thread.
Old 06-19-2007, 01:22 PM

A lot of people are visualizing a situation where their instincts may simplify their decision for them. e.g. saving someone from getting knocked down, saving someone from a burning building, from drowning, etc.

I think it would be more interesting if the scenario allowed a much colder approach.

So...what would be the % chance in this case:

You and stranger/friend/best friend/significant other/spouse/sibling/parent is in a locked room, having been captured.

YOU are then given a gun by those holding you hostage. For simplicity sake, lets assume the gun has 10 barrels.

You are told the following:

1. If you press it to your head and pull the trigger, your friend (and you if you survive) will go free.

2. If you donīt do this, you will go free, but your friend will be killed (painless, injection lets say)

Now, if the gun has one bullet, itīs a 10% chance, if the gun has two...20%.

In THIS SCENARIO, where the odds are cold, and your instincts donīt set in like in other cases where ppl are drowning, and spontaneous decisions need to be made., what % chance of death will you risk for the categories already discussed?

Also, if itīs a 100% chance of death, lets just assume that you can choose to kill yourself OR be killed, whichever method you prefer.

note: you can be locked up in separate rooms too if you want, but the person you will save if its a 100% death situation WILL know what happened.
Old 06-19-2007, 02:47 PM

100% for family members and 100% for a certain few of my friends.
Old 06-19-2007, 02:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
100% for family members and 100% for a certain few of my friends.

[/ QUOTE ]

same here..

------

but what about for say a 70 year old grandma/grandpa that you're very close to?
Old 06-19-2007, 05:31 PM

100% for brother and sister, and pretty up there for my brother in law since my nephew was born. Then maybe the 5 month old nepehew. The next tier is for my parents, but it's a considerable drop since they're 60 years old. A few close friends would garner maybe 35%. Honestly, extended family isn't even on the map, although we're not a very close family geographically and metaphorically. Alot of this would depend on whether there would be guilt associated with not acting or not.
Old 06-19-2007, 05:32 PM

OK, I am older than most of you, but either I am a selfish bastard (the ex-wives think so for sure) or you guys are all naive/liars. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 06-19-2007, 05:47 PM

i don't know if a lot of the posters actually thought much about this scenario before posting. it is setup differently from most similar scenarios that have been posted on 2+2 iirc. your chance of saving the person is 100%, so are long as the chances of you dying are less than 100%, you are maximizing the number of lives if you attempt to save.

of course that isn't the only consideration. but just given that fact, anyone i consider a friend i would save at the 50% mark at least. there is a chance i wouldn't do it in practice but that only because thats a completely different scenario (my chance of survival in that case is an estimate and in split second calculations i can only be so sure of my estimation).

but if i was given some time to think the problem through, i would go over 50% from pretty much anyone i liked.
Old 06-19-2007, 05:51 PM

-Alfilrey

assuming I had to be the shooter, ie we couldn't bargain on who would do the shooting in any fashion, I would definitely have to do 90% for any friend of mine also locked in the room. i guess i would do 100% for some people, but thats a much harder decision.