Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-13-2007, 06:14 PM

Default Re: A Female President: Is America ready?

[ QUOTE ]
Because given it is a "change" election it is likely that the winner will be a Democrat.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't buy this. The two main blocks that reliably vote: old people and people who are highly religious/one-issue voters. The Republicans have both of those locked up pretty tight regardless of whether anyone likes Bush or not.

Thompson being a joke doesn't seem to disbar him. So was George W., and Dan Quayle made the joke list huge for years and then tried again, with some of the most obsequious media fawning I've seen over any non-religious figure.
Old 06-13-2007, 06:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Obama's out because he's black, Hillary's out because she's both a woman AND because she's Hillary,

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think I agree with the first statement. I think a black man could win, just not sure about Obama. For instance I think Colin Powell could win. Obama's problems may be a lot more than his skin color. I've only seen him speak a couple of times and I think he might have trouble winning people over. He seems somewhat uncomfortable and halting when he speaks.

They say that people pick a candidate in terms of how honest they think the person is. Now I actually like what Obama has to say, I just think that his manner and presentation is a little stiff and forced which could pose a problem for him. I'm wondering if he has that sellability factor.

I agree with your second statement (above). Hillary will be out because she's both a woman and Hillary.

[/ QUOTE ]

From what I've read, Obama regularly wows crowds and is an excellent speaker.
Old 06-13-2007, 06:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
A Neither rudy nor McCain will ever get elected as the Rep nominee.

[/ QUOTE ]

Can you explain why you think this, please?

I used to like McCain (several years ago) but now I think he's sounding pretty nutty. I watched some of the debates and I wasn't impressed with him. I think he's acting kind of like a crazy old guy. Reminds me of a nutty grandpa.

Rudy is too conservative for my taste but I have to say that of all the Republican candidates, he speaks the best. He's very commanding and comfortable in front of cameras. Very natural acting.

[/ QUOTE ]

McCain has flip-flopped so many times he has ruined decades of enormous, practically worshipful credit. He has crashed pretty hard and it's hard to take him anywhere near as seriously these days.
Old 06-13-2007, 06:27 PM

McCain is hated by a large portion of the conservative republican base...plus they don't trust him despite all his ass kissing to Bush. Rudy is socially liberal.

The far right want a canidate who will essentially do what they want on social and religious issues.

Katy--u must not have seen much of Obama but he is essentially known for his speaking and his ability to WOW a group of people..even a group of republicans
Old 06-13-2007, 06:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Because given it is a "change" election it is likely that the winner will be a Democrat.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't buy this. The two main blocks that reliably vote: old people and people who are highly religious/one-issue voters. The Republicans have both of those locked up pretty tight regardless of whether anyone likes Bush or not.

Thompson being a joke doesn't seem to disbar him. So was George W., and Dan Quayle made the joke list huge for years and then tried again, with some of the most obsequious media fawning I've seen over any non-religious figure.

[/ QUOTE ]

If this were true the Republicans would still have control of the House and Senate.

Thompson is a bit of a joke because he is known as a poor campaigner...Bush was a terrific campaigner. Plus he is tied to Bush's 8 years...much like gore was tied to Clintons
Old 06-13-2007, 06:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Rudy is socially liberal.

[/ QUOTE ]

Rudy is socially liberal? God I thought he was ultra conservative. What's the matter with me? [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]

The far right want a canidate who will essentially do what they want on social and religious issues.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know a lot of republicans and they seem to want a candidate who will keep immigrants out, open up jobs for white males (no more quotas), and lower the price on gas and oil. They don't seem to care very much about religious issues if you ask me. The republicans I know have expressed support for Rudy because he's known for being tough on crime.

[ QUOTE ]

Katy--u must not have seen much of Obama but he is essentially known for his speaking and his ability to WOW a group of people..even a group of republicans

[/ QUOTE ]

yes, you're right. I haven't seen much of him at all and now I'm really getting curious. My sister in Illinois absolutely loves the guy. I saw him for part of the debates (I noticed they gave certain people like Clinton a lot more time to answer questions during the segment I was watching), and I saw him on some talk show, can't remember now which one [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 06-13-2007, 07:07 PM

Katy, don't underestimate the effect of religious issues on voting. It's a gigantic trend in the past few decades.
Old 06-13-2007, 07:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Katy, don't underestimate the effect of religious issues on voting. It's a gigantic trend in the past few decades.

[/ QUOTE ]

short-term do you think the death of Falwell will help that any? or will the difference be too small to tell?
Old 06-13-2007, 07:38 PM

He's only been one of the players for a long time now. The Moral Majority isn't what it used to be. Falwell's death won't make much of a difference, I'd guess.
Old 06-13-2007, 07:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
He's only been one of the players for a long time now. The Moral Majority isn't what it used to be. Falwell's death won't make much of a difference, I'd guess.

[/ QUOTE ]

that's too bad