Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-14-2007, 07:56 PM

Default Re: Which Of These Three Starements Do You Reject? (Abortion Related)

I don't understand your outburst? anyone rejecting #2 is pretty much agreeing with you
Old 06-14-2007, 08:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Whoa, dude, a fetus is not a baby, and if you think a fetus is a baby, as many men do, as I say, get back to me when you've carried the baby in your body for 9 months and then strained it out through your genitals.

[/ QUOTE ]
Always a pleasure to have a rational debate with a woman.
Old 06-14-2007, 08:18 PM

I think it comes out through only one genital though.
Old 06-14-2007, 08:26 PM

Before you are capable of having a rational debate, you need to be capable of reading for comprehension. You're not at that level yet.
Old 06-14-2007, 08:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Whoa, dude, a fetus is not a baby, and if you think a fetus is a baby, as many men do, as I say, get back to me when you've carried the baby in your body for 9 months and then strained it out through your genitals.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
This was an excellent start to my day. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 06-14-2007, 08:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't think the male opinion on abortion is remotely relevant, be you Sklansky, be you Albert Einstein for that matter.

[/ QUOTE ]

This statement biases your stand. A father has as much right as a mother, IMHO, except in matters of non-consensual pregnancies, to decide on the viability and future of the fetus.

Society doesn't agree. The courts don't agree.

Abortion for convenience is retarded. The issue has no absolute morality.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I chuckled. But you further establish your bias. So you have a womb. It's yours to do as you like with. What of the emotional distress you cause the father when you come back from a clinic saying you had an abortion because you didn't feel ready to bring a baby into this world?

Is that not relevant?
Old 06-15-2007, 01:35 AM

I think the argument can reasonably be made by someone who is both Pro-Choice and who believes that Fetuses are Fully Human, or as in the OP, "Fetuses are equally human as children"; that even though Fetuses are equally human as children the circumstance of abortion are different than the circumstances of killing children. These differences in circumstances bring in additional moral principles that must be weighed and which produce a different quality of moral judgement for the two. While there may still be a moral condemnation of abortion, the quality of moral judment is such that the state should not involve itself in the decision by making abortions illegal. While the quality of moral judgement for killing children is such that the State should involve itself. This in fact is, I believe, pretty much the position a lot of religious minded politicians take.

I think the OP strongly condemns it as "illogical". We must draw conclusions from premises the way the OP dictates. I think the OP overestimates his ability to recognize what is and is not rational.

PairTheBoard
Old 06-15-2007, 03:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ugh, it sucks for me that idiots share my views. I could do a much better job of arguing this position.
Old 06-15-2007, 03:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think the argument can reasonably be made by someone who is both Pro-Choice and who believes that Fetuses are Fully Human, or as in the OP, "Fetuses are equally human as children"; that even though Fetuses are equally human as children the circumstance of abortion are different than the circumstances of killing children. These differences in circumstances bring in additional moral principles that must be weighed and which produce a different quality of moral judgement for the two. While there may still be a moral condemnation of abortion, the quality of moral judment is such that the state should not involve itself in the decision by making abortions illegal. While the quality of moral judgement for killing children is such that the State should involve itself. This in fact is, I believe, pretty much the position a lot of religious minded politicians take.

I think the OP strongly condemns it as "illogical". We must draw conclusions from premises the way the OP dictates. I think the OP overestimates his ability to recognize what is and is not rational.

PairTheBoard

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly. I don't think fetuses are anything close to human children, but for the sake of fair argument, I often grant my opponent the seemingly important concession that fetuses=human children. I still have no problem demonstrating that abortion is still just peachy.
Old 06-15-2007, 03:53 AM

Haven't read the thread, but #2 is obviously a reject because our cognitive analysis of this question is something the fetuses are incapable of, and our capability for this cognitive analysis is our criterion for justifying the elevation of human beings to the status of being able to make these ridiculous abstract judgments.

Oops, I was applying Sklansky's consistency bit. Guess I shouldn't have responded then. Oops, I'm doing it again.