Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-16-2007, 08:02 AM

Default Re: Personal Dilemma

[ QUOTE ]
...I am dismayed. She's talking about sharing a [censored] apartment with some dude we don't even know. WTF?...

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you have a right to "put your foot down" about this one.
Old 06-16-2007, 11:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I am dismayed. She's talking about sharing a [censored] apartment with some dude we don't even know. WTF? I'm 35. I don't need this [censored] anymore. I have a house and a yard and a hot tub and my dream job and it's all going to go down the shitter.

[/ QUOTE ]

I hate to sound harsh, but I read this and all I see is "Me, me, me, me, me, me, me. Waaah!"

My wife also read it and had a few choice, unrepeatable words about men in general.

Your wife has a dream job too. You might try seeing it from her viewpoint and seeing what compromise there is that will work. Think outside the box.
Old 06-16-2007, 01:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You might try seeing it from her viewpoint and seeing what compromise there is that will work.

[/ QUOTE ]

This might shock you, but: I am. Sometimes you just need an outlet for the negativity, so that it doesn't fester and boil over at the wrong time, and in ways one would regret.

I put my foot down about the sharing some townhouse with a total stranger. If and when we go, it will have to be under better housing circumstances than that, even if it means a longer/shittier commute. Hence I am much less depressed about the whole concept today than I was yesterday.
Old 06-16-2007, 01:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I am dismayed. She's talking about sharing a [censored] apartment with some dude we don't even know. WTF? I'm 35. I don't need this [censored] anymore. I have a house and a yard and a hot tub and my dream job and it's all going to go down the shitter.

[/ QUOTE ]

I hate to sound harsh, but I read this and all I see is "Me, me, me, me, me, me, me. Waaah!"

My wife also read it and had a few choice, unrepeatable words about men in general.

Your wife has a dream job too. You might try seeing it from her viewpoint and seeing what compromise there is that will work. Think outside the box.

[/ QUOTE ]

Also, if it were all about me, me, me, I would just laugh and say, "No." It is only because I recognize that my wife has just as much right to her dream job as I do to mine that I am torn up about the (potential) conflict.
Old 06-16-2007, 02:04 PM

I'm glad to see you're being civilized about this and not acting it's like 1955. Otherwise, we'd be seeing a new book from you titled "AC: Theory Vs. Practice".

I'm still not seeing why you have to go with her. She'll probably only be committed to completing this term, 18 months or so. It's about 4 hours between Raleigh and Washington by car, plus she'll have access to government airfares. That's not an undoable weekend commute, for either you or her. If you have no Friday classes, or just a morning one, you head out about noon, are there before dinner on Friday. Congress usually adjourns on Thursday, so she could come home earlier on Friday unless duties prevent that. I'm sure she would be so wired she could do part of the job from NC if required to do so.

As far as housing goes, I'm sure there are plenty of female staffers on the Hill needing a roommate.
Old 06-16-2007, 02:05 PM

I'd want to know where Rep. Paul's old press person went to. Is that person doing stuff for the campaign now and returning?

His staff has always been made up of people who really think like he does (which isn't always the case), which is probably a good thing given your description of your wife.

Edit: If her ultimate dream job is doing political punditry, it seems that most get involved via writing/editing for political publications (National Journal, Roll Call, Weekly Standard, etc) or doing the political beat for big papers.

Hill press types certainly can get started down that path by meeting/working with those already in that arena.

That said, Paul isn't exactly a media machine in the House given his views and political marginalization in the current environment.

Lots of variables in pay, actual work load, travel, time committment, etc between offices.

Happy to help answer what I can--I've been up here about 6 years, although not in the press arena (I love to comma splice and change tense)....
Old 06-16-2007, 02:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm still not seeing why you have to go with her.

[/ QUOTE ]

Because I love her. It would be like sending my internal organs to Washington, DC for 18 months (a completely arbitrary number that I'm not sure where you came up with; I've already said it seems to be at least a medium-long term commitment) without me. It would hurt too much, and just would not work very well.
Old 06-16-2007, 03:01 PM

sorry but EDF is going to need pics of wife to make a more meaningful and accurate assessment of the situation
Old 06-16-2007, 03:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
sorry but EDF is going to need pics of wife to make a more meaningful and accurate assessment of the situation

[/ QUOTE ]

Old 06-16-2007, 05:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a possible major change in his life. Of course the starting point is "me, me, me, me." That's just the way its gotta be.

Boro, what does your wife do now, how happy is she about it, and how hard is it for her to find local work if she wants to change jobs? I think that's pretty important here.

FWIW I think moving is a really bad decision from what I've read of Boro's comments. It seems like right now he is in a great living situation in a great location with a great job. His wife isn't unhappy. If he moves, he'll have(?) a worse job in a worse location in a worse living situation. His wife will be very happy. It seems like he is sacrificing way too much to allow his wife to go from being mildly happy (assumed, boro comment?) to being very happy.

If I would guess, on a happiness scale it would be like:
Boro: 10-->3
Wife: 6-->10 [?]

The worst part is that his wife's happiness is not guaranteed and it really sucks to uproot their lives, find new friends, move, etc etc.

If my assessment of the situation is accurate and Boro's wife is reasonable and loves him, I would think that she should be convinced that moving to DC is a big mistake.