Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-17-2007, 01:35 PM

Default Re: NBA Draft bust prediction thread

[ QUOTE ]
Prediction:

Ramons Sessions pwns teamate Fazeakas by being selected first.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think Sessions is the better prospect.
Old 06-17-2007, 01:40 PM

I haven't seen a lot of Green, but what I have seen hasn't convinced me that he's deserving of a lottery pick. The NBA game will be very different than what he was used to playing at G Town.

I don't think Al Thornton will ever develop the ballhandling to become the scoring threat that he needs to be.

I had a mancrush on Conley last year, but those who think he'll be a top 5 pick (specifically to the Hawks), I want to crush them.

Jason Smith's workouts were impressive, but his small hands and negative wingspan will get him owned.

I think Daequan Cook is D-League material for a while, but might bounce back to give some minutes over the long haul.

Sean Williams may end up being the steal of the draft. His "character problems" are largely related to the reefer, which hasn't slowed down many NBA players.
Old 06-17-2007, 01:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I haven't watched enough Oden, but I always worry about a guy who seems to dominate a weaker level (especially at the center spot) just on size alone and not skills.

[/ QUOTE ]

Correct that you haven't watched enough of him if you think he lacks skills.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think he has NBA-ready offensive skills at this point. His best post move is to get about halfway between the low block and high post, get the ball, and literally turn and jump at the basket. His length and bounce get him all the way to the basket by doing that. It won't work in the NBA.

Defensively, I like the comparison of Oden to Dikembe. I also like that Wright/Wilcox comparison.
Old 06-17-2007, 02:16 PM

He's got both a nice baby hook and a pretty good dropstep. He absolutely will develop into a 20+ ppg guy, though it will likely take til his 3rd year.
Old 06-17-2007, 02:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
He's got both a nice baby hook and a pretty good dropstep. He absolutely will develop into a 20+ ppg guy, though it will likely take til his 3rd year.

[/ QUOTE ]

I haven't seen his baby hook so I guess you're right.

80% of his value will always come from his defense, though. That's no knock on him, since having a superior defensive center is huge in the NBA.
Old 06-17-2007, 03:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I haven't watched enough Oden, but I always worry about a guy who seems to dominate a weaker level (especially at the center spot) just on size alone and not skills.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude has a more developed post game than Amare, Dwight, or any of those guys at a similar age, and is also 2-3 inches taller with ridiculous shotblocking timing.

He hasn't come this far on size alone.
Old 06-17-2007, 03:37 PM

Clarkmeister,

For some reason I find myself disagreeing with your NCAA/NBA stuff a lot, but your thoughts on Julian Wright and Greg Oden are spot on here.

I'm not a big B. Wright fan, but comparing him to Chris Wilcox is ridiculous. Wilcox is awful. Guy has no clue on the court. If Wright puts some weight on, he could have an Amare Stoudemire type game. Obviously not as good, but that type of player.
Old 06-17-2007, 05:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hawes is the anti bust. He's already got a developed post game. Put him in an NBA weight room and good things will happen.

None of the 4s in the draft blow me away.

I think it's really hard to judge anybody who has only one year of college ball, and unfair to judge them after only 2 or 3 years in the pros. It will take a long time to correct assess any of the recent drafts.

[/ QUOTE ]

The thing is though...guys like Oden/Lebron/Dwight Howard, they weren't just big and athletic when compared to their pre-NBA competition; They were/are bigger and more athletic than most everyone including guys in the NBA.
Old 06-17-2007, 05:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Clarkmeister,

For some reason I find myself disagreeing with your NCAA/NBA stuff a lot, but your thoughts on Julian Wright and Greg Oden are spot on here.

I'm not a big B. Wright fan, but comparing him to Chris Wilcox is ridiculous. Wilcox is awful. Guy has no clue on the court. If Wright puts some weight on, he could have an Amare Stoudemire type game. Obviously not as good, but that type of player.

[/ QUOTE ]

Whats up with the hate for Wilcox? Hes not great, but hes a decent starter in the league.
Old 06-17-2007, 06:19 PM

Brandan Wright.