Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-04-2007, 01:58 PM

Default Re: Job Interview - what to wear?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Flip flops? Shorts? Christ, I need to get into marketing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Creative advertising is where it's at. They can get drunk or stoned, show up whenever they want in shorts and flip flops, see a movie during work hours, hang out at the beach...whatever they want, as long as it isn't stifling their creativity. You think they are doing nothing all day and then suddenly they come up with some genius advertising campaign to validate their salary.

[/ QUOTE ]

i've worked at a number of ad agencies, design firms, and marketing companies, and this is definitly not true.

dress may be lax, but you are most likely doing a [censored] ton of work to "validate" your salary.

one of the reasons i most likely own't work at an ad ageny any more is the amount of hours expect of their creatives. i'm just way too lazy.

[/ QUOTE ]

I exagerated a bit, but they definitely aren't at their desks 9 to 5 plugging away. They do spend some time putting together their presentations, but they sure know how to mix in a lot of fun and relaxation. At the last place I was at, they had daily foosball or ping pong tournies. Sometimes they'd play whiffleball in the middle of the office. Next to my desk was the record line for longest Nerf basketball shot on a hoop about 40 feet down my aisle (I left with that record...easy to get good when that tape marking the record mocks you every day).
Old 06-04-2007, 02:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
This is pretty standard where I work, but it's an engineering company. Engineers aren't exactly known for their fashion sense. Apparently there's a guy here who where's black high tops and sweat pants every day.
Old 06-04-2007, 02:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Creative advertising is where it's at. They can get drunk or stoned, show up whenever they want in shorts and flip flops, see a movie during work hours, hang out at the beach...whatever they want, as long as it isn't stifling their creativity. You think they are doing nothing all day and then suddenly they come up with some genius advertising campaign to validate their salary.

[/ QUOTE ]

i've worked at a number of ad agencies, design firms, and marketing companies, and this is definitly not true.

dress may be lax, but you are most likely doing a [censored] ton of work to "validate" your salary.

one of the reasons i most likely own't work at an ad ageny any more is the amount of hours expect of their creatives. i'm just way too lazy.

[/ QUOTE ]

I exagerated a bit, but they definitely aren't at their desks 9 to 5 plugging away. They do spend some time putting together their presentations, but they sure know how to mix in a lot of fun and relaxation. At the last place I was at, they had daily foosball or ping pong tournies. Sometimes they'd play whiffleball in the middle of the office. Next to my desk was the record line for longest Nerf basketball shot on a hoop about 40 feet down my aisle (I left with that record...easy to get good when that tape marking the record mocks you every day).

[/ QUOTE ]
I understand what you're saying, but none of this is indicative of "most" advertising agencies. They're usually lax on attire, etc, but stupid [censored] like wiffle ball and foosball is not the norm anywhere. Except at [censored] dot-coms that tanked when the bubble burst. And conversely, I know someone who works in ad sales who plays beer pong in-office every Friday. Nothing creative about that job.
Old 06-04-2007, 02:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This is pretty standard where I work, but it's an engineering company. Engineers aren't exactly known for their fashion sense. Apparently there's a guy here who where's black high tops and sweat pants every day.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am an engineer. I have to follow this business casual crap.. not fair!
Old 06-04-2007, 02:35 PM

wear a suit and its not even close. working at a casual place is different from interviewing at a casual place. if youre kevin durant, do you interview with the sonics' GM with a jersey on? /end thread
Old 06-04-2007, 02:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I am an engineer. I have to follow this business casual crap.. not fair!

[/ QUOTE ]
Let me clarify, it's an Electrical Engineering company, with a lot of software people too (hence, the sweatpants). I gather from talking to old classmates that we're a little more casual than most here. I don't know any classmates that are wearing suits to work, but some of them are still stuck with business casual.
Old 06-04-2007, 03:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
wear a suit and its not even close. working at a casual place is different from interviewing at a casual place. if youre kevin durant, do you interview with the sonics' GM with a jersey on? /end thread

[/ QUOTE ]
This point was made earlier, also, but it's a terrible analogy, because I can't imagine professional athletes go on job interviews.
Old 06-04-2007, 03:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
This point was made earlier, also, but it's a terrible analogy, because I can't imagine professional athletes go on job interviews.

[/ QUOTE ]

except that they do - often top picks will have formal pre-draft interviews with teams that have a chance to draft them.
Old 06-04-2007, 03:47 PM

I work at a laid back place where the nicest I ever dress is jeans and a t-shirt. we fly rc helicopters around the office. most people that come in for interviews wear a suit, I wouldn't think it was weird if they didn't but it certainly never hurts. no one is going to judge you negatively for wearing a suit to an unknown place.

if they don't want you to wear a suit, they will tell you in advance that casual dress is fine. I interviewed at two places not too long ago that specifically told me not to dress up, in that case it was fine. if they don't say anything wear a suit.
Old 06-04-2007, 04:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

except that they do - often top picks will have formal pre-draft interviews with teams that have a chance to draft them.

[/ QUOTE ]

"So, have you committed any felonies?"

"Not this week."

"Welcome to the team, son."